Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

USA - New England MA, CT, ME, NH, RI, VT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
SRM
New England Daily Driver
 
SRM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 290
Getting impatient :)

Still only 600 miles. I'm following the break-in procedure, although I know there are many opinions about this.

I just want to get on it.
__________________
Current: 2012 Wrangler

Previous: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Z28, and a few 2nd gen Fbodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
elpatofeo
LawBraker
 
elpatofeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS, 6 SPD MT, Sunroof
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 830
..get on it than!
elpatofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,973
What break in procedure, open up that machine and hammer it.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence
 
PAUL SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Smallest State in the Union
Posts: 8,442
I got frisky with mine around 350 miles. NICE! I don't baby it but I do watch the rpm's and throttle position carefully. It's a quick machine that will melt the tires.
__________________
BMR, CAI, DynoMax, Elite Eng., Hurst, Jannetty, Clear Image Headers & Hi Flow cats, Jet Hot, LSR, TSW, Vredestein
PAUL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
G8GT721
 
G8GT721's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mass
Posts: 93
i agree its what there made for!
__________________
2008 White Hot G8 GT
(new)499RWHP/474RWTQ Mustang Dyno
(old)451RWHP / 498RWTQ Mustang Dyno
1/4=11.400@118.7 17" Drag Radials, stall, cam 1.77 60'
1/4=12.004@120.6 17" Drag Radials 2.03 60'
1/4=12.270 @118.3 on 18" All Seasons 2.08 60'
SLOWHAWK[/URL] Tuned

If you can't say anything intelligent, say something loud and stupid
G8GT721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,306
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Ride it hard. In fact, ride it really hard for your break-in. You should be sweating during your break-in.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
SRM
New England Daily Driver
 
SRM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 290
I got on it once full throttle on the highway. Wasn't impressed. Did the "fuse pull mod", seems much more inline where the power should be now.
__________________
Current: 2012 Wrangler

Previous: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Z28, and a few 2nd gen Fbodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
BOOTZILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The 'Wood
Posts: 202
Wanna know my break-in procedure?

#1 - Put the rear end up on jack stands and chock the front wheels.

#2 - Start the car.

#3 - Shift into Drive.

#4 - Put a brick on your accelerator and let it go.

#5 - Make sure you have a spare 10 gallons of gasoline on hand so you can top-off the tank when it starts getting low, so you can do a thorough break-in.

#6 - Wait for the "Low Fuel" indicator to come on.

#7 - Shut off the car.

#8 - Lower the rear end and go get yourself a tank of gas.

#9 - Change your engine oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. Admire the glittery appearance of those fluids, because that means that your car is broken in properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying that this break-in method is for everyone... and really, it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

...but this is how I broke in my 2010 SS/A6.


BOOTZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
elpatofeo
LawBraker
 
elpatofeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS, 6 SPD MT, Sunroof
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 830
...I gun it every chance I get. The same day I took it out of the lot I gunned it a couple of times...broke it in that same day! lovin' the new g-ride!
elpatofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
600hp-lpe


 
600hp-lpe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Still only 600 miles. I'm following the break-in procedure, although I know there are many opinions about this.

I just want to get on it.
Why wait? Drive it like you plan to...
__________________
2010 2SS/RS RJT 6SP
600 HP Lingenfelter package 526 RWHP 491 RWTRQ
Pedders Justice package with Z-bar and supercar coilovers
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Slowhawk
LSX specialty shop

 
Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bridgewater,Ma
Posts: 1,699
Break in procedures vary but at 600 miles you should be hitting it hard.

I'd say semi easy drives(but don't be a puss) for 150-200 miles to break in the rear gears,tranny,converter.

The point is to seat the rings good,this happens in the first 20 minutes it runs which gm does.

My procedure is hard.Starting my 427ci next week and will hit the dyno on startup to seat the motor.After a heat cycle it will get WOT pulls.

For people hammering a car off the lot that is not good at all.It will cause premature wear of the clutch,A6 tranny and rear gears.Might not notice right away but they will fail early in life. Stuff needs to heat cycle and seat in.
__________________


Bridgewater, Ma
(508)659-4454
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Slowhawk
LSX specialty shop

 
Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bridgewater,Ma
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTZILLA View Post
#1 - Put the rear end up on jack stands and chock the front wheels.

#2 - Start the car.

#3 - Shift into Drive.

#4 - Put a brick on your accelerator and let it go.

#5 - Make sure you have a spare 10 gallons of gasoline on hand so you can top-off the tank when it starts getting low, so you can do a thorough break-in.

#6 - Wait for the "Low Fuel" indicator to come on.

#7 - Shut off the car.

#8 - Lower the rear end and go get yourself a tank of gas.

#9 - Change your engine oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. Admire the glittery appearance of those fluids, because that means that your car is broken in properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying that this break-in method is for everyone... and really, it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

...but this is how I broke in my 2010 SS/A6.


I hope this is a joke.No load breakin of a motor is not good at all.Nevermind how hot the car must of gotten.
__________________


Bridgewater, Ma
(508)659-4454
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 18,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Break in procedures vary but at 600 miles you should be hitting it hard.

I'd say semi easy drives(but don't be a puss) for 150-200 miles to break in the rear gears,tranny,converter.

The point is to seat the rings good,this happens in the first 20 minutes it runs which gm does.

My procedure is hard.Starting my 427ci next week and will hit the dyno on startup to seat the motor.After a heat cycle it will get WOT pulls.

For people hammering a car off the lot that is not good at all.It will cause premature wear of the clutch,A6 tranny and rear gears.Might not notice right away but they will fail early in life. Stuff needs to heat cycle and seat in.

Thats what I have been saying...
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
chappy48

 
chappy48's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belfair, WA
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Break in procedures vary but at 600 miles you should be hitting it hard.

I'd say semi easy drives(but don't be a puss) for 150-200 miles to break in the rear gears,tranny,converter.

The point is to seat the rings good,this happens in the first 20 minutes it runs which gm does.

My procedure is hard.Starting my 427ci next week and will hit the dyno on startup to seat the motor.After a heat cycle it will get WOT pulls.

For people hammering a car off the lot that is not good at all.It will cause premature wear of the clutch,A6 tranny and rear gears.Might not notice right away but they will fail early in life. Stuff needs to heat cycle and seat in.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, you just contradicted yourself. If a car has any miles on it at all it's more then likely been heat cycled (unless a car can magically travel 7 miles, as was the case with mine, without the engine heating up). You just said after a heat cycle you will go with some WOT pulls. How is this any different then hammering the car off the lot? Obviously the engine and fluids should be at optimum temp before hammering it, but I don't see how WOT runs on a dyno is any different then WOT runs on the road.
__________________
Built by Jannetty Racing
670rwhp/649rwtq...Scariness to be determined.
Jannety Racing forged 416.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Slowhawk
LSX specialty shop

 
Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bridgewater,Ma
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, you just contradicted yourself. If a car has any miles on it at all it's more then likely been heat cycled (unless a car can magically travel 7 miles, as was the case with mine, without the engine heating up). You just said after a heat cycle you will go with some WOT pulls. How is this any different then hammering the car off the lot? Obviously the engine and fluids should be at optimum temp before hammering it, but I don't see how WOT runs on a dyno is any different then WOT runs on the road.
Pretty much yes,the 7 miles you had was from them seating the rings and moving it around.

If you noticed this is my car which already had a broken in tranny and rear end.

The point was that the motor needs a good load to seat.I stand by that enough that my $20k C5R motor will be run hard to break it in.IF my tranny and rear were new I would not do WOT pulls because I've seen what it does to cars with street gears and new Auto tranny's or New clutches.

The difference of street or dyno WOT differs if the dyno is a load dyno or not.A no load dyno will put some strain on the car but not as much as a load dyno.For a stock Camaro I don't think there would be much difference since the power is low.
__________________


Bridgewater, Ma
(508)659-4454
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
chappy48

 
chappy48's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belfair, WA
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Pretty much yes,the 7 miles you had was from them seating the rings and moving it around.

If you noticed this is my car which already had a broken in tranny and rear end.

The point was that the motor needs a good load to seat.I stand by that enough that my $20k C5R motor will be run hard to break it in.IF my tranny and rear were new I would not do WOT pulls because I've seen what it does to cars with street gears and new Auto tranny's or New clutches.

The difference of street or dyno WOT differs if the dyno is a load dyno or not.A no load dyno will put some strain on the car but not as much as a load dyno.For a stock Camaro I don't think there would be much difference since the power is low.
Got it. Thanks
__________________
Built by Jannetty Racing
670rwhp/649rwtq...Scariness to be determined.
Jannety Racing forged 416.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Slowhawk
LSX specialty shop

 
Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bridgewater,Ma
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Got it. Thanks
Sorry,I'm thinking more than typing
__________________


Bridgewater, Ma
(508)659-4454
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few more days til my car lands in my driveway. Why am I so impatient? 55Designs 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 0 10-24-2009 02:36 PM
Impatient FFPM73 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 7 10-10-2009 10:31 PM
Getting Impatient 2010camaro2SS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 29 08-31-2009 10:31 PM
Gettin sad and impatient. logan1080 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 11 04-27-2009 11:48 AM
Getting very impatient in Hawaii Haole Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 12 03-20-2009 06:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.