Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #101
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
It would ruin the housing if it doesn't work, but someone mentioned scuffing the outer edge to dull the reflection. Or possibly painting it to a gradual fade.

...Maybe even black out the inner cup to reduce the reflection.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #102
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
I have a new idea will try it, and get back to this buy Friday, I think if it works you guy will like it.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #103
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
I have a new idea will try it, and get back to this buy Friday, I think if it works you guy will like it.
I think it's already looking better than exposed LED's like the others... Good luck

Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #104
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

So my new idea is to go and make a new part that has a 2 side all LED hosing, So that we send the light in the hosing back to give it the Eclipse look for the running lights, The other side will have the same or more LED's for the brake Side, And last i will fix the OEM hosing so there is no step in it that will let the light fill the hosing to look right.

I hope to start Midday i have to make a new part and get some more parts put i think by Friday i will have it all done.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #105
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I don't quite follow what you're saying. you're saying have the half moon piece have leds on both sides of the lens? running lights have all the ones facing the cars front light up so you can't see them even though they're all on, and stepping on the brakes lights up the ones facing rearward (which you can see) as well?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #106
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Its not done, But i will get on it in a day or so.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #107
Sketti

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
This might be a stupid question but can't we just contact someone at GM and ask them how they did it? Someone who comes here must know someone who knows someone who can give us info on how it’s done.
Sketti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #108
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Some of the members on here are giving us the info that they can, With out getting canned, So we have to do the work.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #109
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketti View Post
This might be a stupid question but can't we just contact someone at GM and ask them how they did it? Someone who comes here must know someone who knows someone who can give us info on how it’s done.
Tried contacting GM design team on the Camaro and got a nice email back "We do not promote modding your car. It may due harm and void your warranty". I just wanted a direction to go in but, yeah fail. We are going to have to continue relying on inside information.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #110
PortDawg

Drives: 1SS A6 BLK/BLK
I've been following this thread for a while and I've read a lot of good suggestions. Here is one combining some of them. What if somebody try putting the AAC afterburner light kit inside the clear light diffuser and tint the inner (oval part) of the light diffuser . I was looking at AAC's afterburner kit thread and they install them on the outside part of the light diffuser.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #111
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
Tried contacting GM design team on the Camaro and got a nice email back "We do not promote modding your car. It may due harm and void your warranty". I just wanted a direction to go in but, yeah fail. We are going to have to continue relying on inside information.
I understand why they can't help... Especially with brake and running lights, DOT is all up in their face about spec's we don't have to deal with. The aftermarket light does need to be bright enough though, without being too bright.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #112
Sketti

Ok I did an analysis of the afterburner effect picture and I think I know how they did it. Anyone who can make/modify taillights like to team up?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #113
Mr Twisty

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #114
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Sketti, I really hope you and 2SSRS can get this worked out. I REALLY want to have some afterburners.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #115
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
I don't know if anyone has suggested this but could this be a bank of red LED's at the top of the housing that has a lip shielding them from being seen directly and in front of a dark lens (diffuser?). The running lights are seen reflected in the chrome at the bottom. The brake light is a separate light behind the lens. Sorry for the lousy picture.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #116
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
Did some more playing. There may be a way to get kinda close without too much pain.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #117
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I understand why they can't help... Especially with brake and running lights, DOT is all up in their face about spec's we don't have to deal with. The aftermarket light does need to be bright enough though, without being too bright.
Right...that's the main reason they couldn't put those lights on. Gov't standards for visible light, etc. Same reason the side-markers had to be enlarged...:(

I don't mean to be 'that guy'...but I haven't been following the thread. Have you boys tried to make a dual-layered light? The afterburner would have been concealed LEDs on the bottom, reflecting off of some chrome bezeling and out, and the brake light would be exposed LEDs on the top.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #118
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Right...that's the main reason they couldn't put those lights on. Gov't standards for visible light, etc. Same reason the side-markers had to be enlarged...:(

I don't mean to be 'that guy'...but I haven't been following the thread. Have you boys tried to make a dual-layered light? The afterburner would have been concealed LEDs on the bottom, reflecting off of some chrome bezeling and out, and the brake light would be exposed LEDs on the top.
No disrespect But i tried that and it did not work, I am on hold for right now, I tried to fix the hosing but 275 in the oven is to hot as the hosing was destroyed have a new tail light coming and will get back to it soon.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
No disrespect But i tried that and it did not work, I am on hold for right now, I tried to fix the hosing but 275 in the oven is to hot as the hosing was destroyed have a new tail light coming and will get back to it soon.
The idea I had in mind would need to be manufactured as a new part...probably via injection-molding.

I don't think the stock lights could be retro-fitted.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #120
Sketti

From looking at the photos I believe the afterburner lights consist of 2 seperate enclosed chambers. The first chamber is the bottom/side area which is the tail lights. You will note the longer and more slanted plastic compare to our current lights. This provides for a more elongated effect. The 2nd chamber is the brake light area. In order to get the lights to look like the after burner effect you have to block each chamber’s lighting from shining into the other chamber. So when you step on the brake, the light only shines in the brake light chamber and visa versa. It appears that the plastic (tail light) needs to be modified somewhat to get the glowing effect and the brake light chamber needs to have the darker plastic to emulate the after burn effect.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #121
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The idea I had in mind would need to be manufactured as a new part...probably via injection-molding.

I don't think the stock lights could be retro-fitted.
There i agree !00% but that is a lot of $ as all 4 are not the same size and shape.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #122
Mr Twisty

This isn't the same effect, but it does look cool!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #123
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
There i agree !00% but that is a lot of $ as all 4 are not the same size and shape.
Yeah, that's true too...I hadn't given the housing a heck of a lot of thought, to tell you the truth. Only the light-portion.....

What if the light portion was universal...attached via a rubber bushing or something into the stock housings. Once size fits all?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #124
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Has anyone considered using paint to mimic the fade effect? We could allow even light on the outside of the reflective piece, but we could use paint to fade it to black from the inside out. Closer to the light source, the surface would be more reflective than toward the outer lens. This could accommodate the lack of distance from the front to the rear of the light that the concept had and the production model lacks.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #125
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
The big problem is that the existing housing has a step in it that makes a nice, front-to-back fade impossible. I'm sure that we'll all keep plugging at it, but the best fix is a new housing.