Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
7000 miles and my Brembo calipers look like crap, how about you?

Well 7000+ miles into owning my SS and I clean my polished wheels religiously. I also scrub my calipers. But that doesn't seem to do much.

They, in short, look like shit. Kinds oxidized/ just plain dirty, I don't even know how to describe it. But crap is the only good word.

Anyone else? Any tips?
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
The strongest wheel cleaner out there I know is Amazing Roll-Off. Used full strength, Roll-Off has a pH of 14. Following is Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner with a pH of 13 (when used full strength). Both Amazing Roll-Off and Hi-Intensity Cleaner are great for professional detailers or for any situation (commercial vehicles, off-road vehicles) where extra cleaning punch is required. Roll-Off and Hi-Intensity both contain butyl. The second strongest wheel cleaner we offer is BLACKFIRE Gel Wheel and Tire Cleaner. BLACKFIRE Gel Wheel Cleaner measures a pH of 7.5 but that doesn't tell the whole story. Being 100% water-based and containing no acids, butyl or petroleum solvents, it cleans with the gentleness of soap.

For comparison purposes, water has a pH of 7.5. You can increase cleaning power by either lowering or raising the pH. Low pH cleaners are acid-based (battery acid has a pH of 1) while higher pH cleaners are alkaline-based (lye has a pH of 15). Multi-purpose cleaners have a pH between 9.5 (Simple Green) and 12 (Fantastik). Car wash shampoos have pH ratings ranging from 8 (P21S Bodywork Shampoo) and 9 (Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo).

The safest wheel cleaners we offer are the P21S regular and gel formula cleaners and Menzerna Gel 7.5 Tire & Wheel Cleaner. The P21S cleaners are mild detergent cleaners with a pH of 9.5 and Menzerna has a pH of 7.5. If you are at all concerned about the possibility of staining the finish of expensive, aftermarket, polished aluminum, billet wheels, Menzerna Gel 7.5 is the wheel cleaner to use.

Gel Formula P21S - for wheels that tend to soil heavily due to higher braking speeds, softer brake pads or infrequent cleaning. Spray on, allow to stand up to two hours, lightly brush or sponge the surface and rinse off with a sharp stream of water. Gel composition clings to vertical surfaces to provide increased cleaning effect. We recommend the Gel formula for Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and all hard-to-clean wheels.

While I'am using the tired old words "new", "advanced", and "breakthrough", there is no other way to communicate how different Menzerna Gel 7.5 Tire & Wheel Cleaner really is. Menzerna Gel 7.5 Wheel & Tire Cleaner isn't just pH-Balanced, it's pH-Neutral, a perfect 7.5, the same as water! It's a detergent-based cleaner with surfactants, wetting agents and emulsifiers (for cutting road oils) which quickly cleans both tires and wheels yet is as gentle to the surface as drinking water! This cleaner contains no acids, petroleum solvents, butyl or butyl ethers of any kind. It is neither acid or alkaline. It is exactly pH-Neutral.

I would go with the P21 Wheel Gel Cleaner for the job. Hope this helps you out in cleaning your brakes.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Mr G. Great post and great information.

If your calipers are oxidized, pull the wheels off, clean the calipers, and use a light polish to clean up the oxidation, then seal them

P21S Wheel Gel is my cleaner of choice as well. Just a great product.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Camarorss350
camaro blogger

Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
p21s ftw
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote