Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
mothercatmatt
 
mothercatmatt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
GM is not responding quick enough to customer demand, this has happened all to often in the past. I really hate to say that I find Chrysler with the Challenger and Ford with Mustang got to the market to serve the wants of the public. Hey lets face it - he who sells first sells most, most of the time!

So we need to let the General know we want Z28 and Convertibles now, not in 2 years. In 2 years I would be buying my next Z28 or Convertible.

GM get in the race or pull over and let others pass you by, please dont disappoint the dedicated Z and vert fans!
I agree and disagree... So what if it takes time to develop the car? The fact is Dodge and Ford can do it, but GM just keeps hurting themselves. Discontinuing ABM Camaro (one of the best looking colors in my opinion on the 2010 Camaro)....Green only available in 1LT (no RS OR V8 or even 2LT?)....Not producing the V6 in manual (at first dealerships were only getting automatics)...

I know the company is having problems, but I really think they are causing them. They really need to read what their customers are saying and give the public what they want. The development of a car takes time. Understood. And I personally don't think there is a better car out there right now than the 2010 Camaro, so if it takes them time, so be it. But, on the other hand, they really need to give the public what they want.
mothercatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
bokoo
 
bokoo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs CGM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: salt lake city utah
Posts: 93
so i dont understand. are they making the Z28 faster than the SS ? i always thought that the SS should of been the fastest camaro?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs CGM 6spd M, no sunroof
ordered August 29 2009
arrived November 14 2009

bokoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
Mosher
 
Mosher's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bedford
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokoo View Post
so i dont understand. are they making the Z28 faster than the SS ? i always thought that the SS should of been the fastest camaro?
Last time the Camaro was in production this was true. However, whats happening this time is GM came to the conclusion that every Chevy can have a Super Sport version or SS, like the Cobalt, HHR, Impala, etc. However, there is only one car that can be a Z28, and that's a Camaro. As a result of this thinking, if the Z28 see's the light of day (Which I think it will sooner or later) it will be the top of the line Camaro.

Now there is a Crevat to that, it is possible that the top dog engine wise would be a "ZL1" or something, and then they would make a Z28 that would be like a leaner track car.

But pretty sure that if they only make a Z28 in the near future it will be the highest trim level on the car.
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,607
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercatmatt View Post
I agree and disagree... So what if it takes time to develop the car? The fact is Dodge and Ford can do it, but GM just keeps hurting themselves. Discontinuing ABM Camaro (one of the best looking colors in my opinion on the 2010 Camaro)....Green only available in 1LT (no RS OR V8 or even 2LT?)....Not producing the V6 in manual (at first dealerships were only getting automatics)...

I know the company is having problems, but I really think they are causing them. They really need to read what their customers are saying and give the public what they want. The development of a car takes time. Understood. And I personally don't think there is a better car out there right now than the 2010 Camaro, so if it takes them time, so be it. But, on the other hand, they really need to give the public what they want.
The Challenger was a rush job and it shows. ABM sells poorly in both the Camaro and the Impala, thus its being discontinued. No clue what GM's plan for Synergy Green is, but consumer demand helped convince them to make blue SS's. However, there doesn't seem to be as strong of a voice begging for more Synergy Green. I forget what the deal with the V6's was but it was well known that they couldn't build cars fast enough anyway. At any rate, I think the majority of early manual V6 orders still got through faster than SS orders due to constraints on the production ratio vs demand.

Coming out and saying "They need to give the customer what they want" sounds great (particularly from a customers perspective). But generally customers are selfish, impatient, cheap, and ill-informed. Consequently, what we want is the best for ourself, right now, for no cost, and won't accept that this is impossible. As one can imagine, this poses difficulties for anyone trying to meet these demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokoo View Post
so i dont understand. are they making the Z28 faster than the SS ? i always thought that the SS should of been the fastest camaro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
Last time the Camaro was in production this was true. However, whats happening this time is GM came to the conclusion that every Chevy can have a Super Sport version or SS, like the Cobalt, HHR, Impala, etc. However, there is only one car that can be a Z28, and that's a Camaro. As a result of this thinking, if the Z28 see's the light of day (Which I think it will sooner or later) it will be the top of the line Camaro.

Now there is a Crevat to that, it is possible that the top dog engine wise would be a "ZL1" or something, and then they would make a Z28 that would be like a leaner track car.

But pretty sure that if they only make a Z28 in the near future it will be the highest trim level on the car.
Even in 4th gens the Z28 was still top dog since every 4th gen SS was also a Z28. GM intended for the it to be the best performing Camaro but SLP wanted to make SS's and formed a partnership with GM to give the Z28 a bit more power, a little different look and designated it as an SS. But it still started life as a Z28.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
Mosher
 
Mosher's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bedford
Posts: 708
That's true... Other then what I think amounted to a different Spoiler, Exhaust, and ram air it was pretty much the same car.

Oh and the Rims.

But I get what you are saying, cause they where all done up by SLP and the cars all started out as Z28's technically.

Question, Can you see an outsider handling this for GM again? Or do you think GM will handle the special models in house? (Specifically talking Camaro)
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
bolteon593

 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern california
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
That's true... Other then what I think amounted to a different Spoiler, Exhaust, and ram air it was pretty much the same car.

Oh and the Rims.

But I get what you are saying, cause they where all done up by SLP and the cars all started out as Z28's technically.

Question, Can you see an outsider handling this for GM again? Or do you think GM will handle the special models in house? (Specifically talking Camaro)
that has a lot to do with whether or not they can make money off of the program considering the cost involved in bringing it to the market. if they can, they'll produce.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
That's true... Other then what I think amounted to a different Spoiler, Exhaust, and ram air it was pretty much the same car.

Oh and the Rims.

But I get what you are saying, cause they where all done up by SLP and the cars all started out as Z28's technically.

Question, Can you see an outsider handling this for GM again? Or do you think GM will handle the special models in house? (Specifically talking Camaro)
IMVHO - it depends on how differentiated GM wants Z28 to be. If we're talking something minor, like with SS and WS6 of years past, I can see GM doing that. Apparently, GM is warrantying SLP's SC'd car, so if it's just some suspension and body upgrades, I think this is possible. If GM wants Z28 to be truly something special, I don't think they'd go that root without some major powertrain modifications to handle major increases in power. Look what they engineered into LSA for CTS-V. If Z28 were to have a blower screwed onto to the top of LS3, or even if it were to have a DI 6.2L, I don't think they'd let it go out of house; I think they'd keep everything very close to the Camaro production we see now.

That's just me...
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #22
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercatmatt View Post
I agree and disagree... So what if it takes time to develop the car? The fact is Dodge and Ford can do it, but GM just keeps hurting themselves. Discontinuing ABM Camaro (one of the best looking colors in my opinion on the 2010 Camaro)....Green only available in 1LT (no RS OR V8 or even 2LT?)....Not producing the V6 in manual (at first dealerships were only getting automatics)...

I know the company is having problems, but I really think they are causing them. They really need to read what their customers are saying and give the public what they want. The development of a car takes time. Understood. And I personally don't think there is a better car out there right now than the 2010 Camaro, so if it takes them time, so be it. But, on the other hand, they really need to give the public what they want.
If GM was really smart they would offer an Automatic Z28. That would be a beast. That would be good to compete with the Mustang GT500 which only has manual. Myself. I would get a Z28 Manual, even it was available in Auto.

I believe they sold more Auto Camaros than Manual as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Challenger was a rush job and it shows. ABM sells poorly in both the Camaro and the Impala, thus its being discontinued.
It sold poorly because it was promoted poorly. I swear it seems the only Camaros I see on the road are Yellow with black stripes or Black. I don't even see Red, which I tought would be a hot color.

I hope they will offer ABM in the Z28. But I doubt it.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #23
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,812
If they ever do build it I think it's a long time off. Why would they team up with slp to build cars and then turn around and offer the same car with a z/28 badge. I don't know how long the deal with slp is signed for , but I bet you won't see a z/28 until slp goes away.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
ironpeddler
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
If they ever do build it I think it's a long time off. Why would they team up with slp to build cars and then turn around and offer the same car with a z/28 badge. I don't know how long the deal with slp is signed for , but I bet you won't see a z/28 until slp goes away.
This. And there is also a chance that we might never see a Z28.

Nobody knows anything about the Z28, all that is in here is all speculation but that's half the fun of it I guess.

But no, in reality right now, I do not think anyone knows a darn thing.
__________________
Black/silver stripes 2010 GT500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akc1A-Jus_k
^^^ mustang dyno video
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #25
Mosher
 
Mosher's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bedford
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
IMVHO - it depends on how differentiated GM wants Z28 to be. If we're talking something minor, like with SS and WS6 of years past, I can see GM doing that. Apparently, GM is warrantying SLP's SC'd car, so if it's just some suspension and body upgrades, I think this is possible. If GM wants Z28 to be truly something special, I don't think they'd go that root without some major powertrain modifications to handle major increases in power. Look what they engineered into LSA for CTS-V. If Z28 were to have a blower screwed onto to the top of LS3, or even if it were to have a DI 6.2L, I don't think they'd let it go out of house; I think they'd keep everything very close to the Camaro production we see now.

That's just me...
Sounds Very Logical to me! Probably the moment you start talking major performance upgrades and even new powerplants like the LSA it becomes probably harder to trust an outsider to do the work. It's alot easier to slide a new engine in the bay when assembly is taking place. (Or should we say slide the body on the engine lol)
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #26
Akagitsune
 
Akagitsune's Avatar
 
Drives: None currently...
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 12
I wish someone could actually answer the title question of this thread, then I'd have more of an idea when I'll actually get a Camaro!

I really want to hold off for the Z/28, but if it doesn't actually happen... then an SS is totally fine with me! Then again, I would kinda want to wait for the next "update" to see if they change anything body/engine-wise too...
Akagitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,343
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagitsune View Post
I wish someone could actually answer the title question of this thread, then I'd have more of an idea when I'll actually get a Camaro!

I really want to hold off for the Z/28, but if it doesn't actually happen... then an SS is totally fine with me! Then again, I would kinda want to wait for the next "update" to see if they change anything body/engine-wise too...
if the only thing really keeping you from buying a camaro now is the fact you have no idea about a Z28 or the possibility of an update. . .you will always be waiting. the ss as of now is the best you can get and in 2 years there will be something better. and 2 years from that quite possibly something better. it's a never ending cycle. you will have to bite the bullet and buy one eventually and it will end up being out done a few years from then. so buy now and get it over with, or wait forever. . .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,607
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagitsune View Post
I wish someone could actually answer the title question of this thread, then I'd have more of an idea when I'll actually get a Camaro!

I really want to hold off for the Z/28, but if it doesn't actually happen... then an SS is totally fine with me! Then again, I would kinda want to wait for the next "update" to see if they change anything body/engine-wise too...
Well, nobody can answer. Anyone who knows has likely made an agreement (written or verbal) to not share such information. However, all evidence points to there being a ~$50,000 Z28 with 550+ hp in roughly 2 years.

Also, who says that a 2014 Z28 would be exactly the same as a 2012? It might be better. Not buying a car because it get improvements later on is an endless process. If you want an SS now, get one. Want more performance? That can probably be bought for less than the cost of a Z28.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
hot pockets, z28

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible new option packages changes wanted for '11 '12 model years PYROLYSIS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 91 09-15-2010 05:15 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
Camaro Z28 is back on for production, according to Ed Welburn Blackend SS Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 805 03-16-2010 05:45 PM
Production Stats and information sherifdude USA - Southcentral 0 10-31-2009 03:07 PM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 12:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.