Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Mecha
AAC Certified Installer
 
Mecha's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 145
SS brembo on a v6

anyone do the brembo swap from a SS on a v6 yet?

whats all involved?

i know on the charger srt to rt brembo swap
you need to swap spindles too
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped
 
franknbeans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 4,117
i've seen it done on here. . not sure by who or what's involved though.
__________________
The "ManCard"

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
faninc
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 508
Just a fun fact, the stock V6 Camaro has about the same exact stopping distance as the Camaro SS with the Brembo's according to Motor Trend tests. Has to due with the extra weight.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

J
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
Just a fun fact, the stock V6 Camaro has about the same exact stopping distance as the Camaro SS with the Brembo's according to Motor Trend tests. Has to due with the extra weight.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

J
The Brembo's are better for every stop thereafter. (less fade)
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,763
I will be doing the swap soon, but haven't done it yet. I have the V8 brembos (brake lines, rotors & calipers) in my garage.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Orange5thGen

 
Orange5thGen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Convert
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Ahhh so you got them.......I thought so....
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,763
Yes!

Did you find some?
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Orange5thGen

 
Orange5thGen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Convert
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
NO, not yet.....
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,763
Ahhhh... :(
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
I will be doing the swap soon, but haven't done it yet. I have the V8 brembos (brake lines, rotors & calipers) in my garage.
We'll be looking for a new thread when you do

Has anyone said if the spindles are the same or not?
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
lsejlowe
 
lsejlowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Yes!

Did you find some?
I'm curious where you found them and if you don't mind me asking about how much they were?
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
mike25


 
mike25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubba V
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
I will be doing the swap soon, but haven't done it yet. I have the V8 brembos (brake lines, rotors & calipers) in my garage.
aby..do you know if the brake lines are direct swaps, or do they require special banjo line connects like the cobalts did?
__________________
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
mike25


 
mike25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubba V
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
I'm curious where you found them and if you don't mind me asking about how much they were?
gmpartsdirect or anywhere else you can order parts from..just need the numbers to do so. id imaging each caliper would run 100-150, then rotors on all 4 corners, pin kits for each caliper, special brake lines, and of course, the pads.
__________________
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
lsejlowe
 
lsejlowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
gmpartsdirect or anywhere else you can order parts from..just need the numbers to do so. id imaging each caliper would run 100-150, then rotors on all 4 corners, pin kits for each caliper, special brake lines, and of course, the pads.
I see, I thought people had managed to find some used somewhere. Thanks.
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
I'm curious where you found them and if you don't mind me asking about how much they were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
aby..do you know if the brake lines are direct swaps, or do they require special banjo line connects like the cobalts did?
Sorry guys, I missed these replies until now.

I was very lucky to get mine from a member here that upgraded his brakes on his V8 to the new Brembo Gran Turismo big brakes. We did a trade.

I am going to have my dealer install them for me, and if anything is needed he can get the parts (hopefully). The service manager at my local Chevy dealer is just as excited about the mods I'm doing to my car as I am. He's very cool. I had him do my cat-back exhaust, and also fix the balance on my new wheels when the first shop messed that up.

He knows about my plans to supercharge it, in fact he and some of his mechanics modify their cars and they are very cool towards working on mine. Actually, he has only one guy that he wants working on my car. I hear that from every place I've ever taken this Camaro, so I don't know if that's just a line to make me feel good or not!

Anyway, that reminds me I should call him and get it in. I was thinking about painting the new calipers IOM before I have the brakes changed out but I haven't done it yet. I'll keep you all posted!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Sorry guys, I missed these replies until now.

I was very lucky to get mine from a member here that upgraded his brakes on his V8 to the new Brembo Gran Turismo big brakes. We did a trade.

I am going to have my dealer install them for me, and if anything is needed he can get the parts (hopefully). The service manager at my local Chevy dealer is just as excited about the mods I'm doing to my car as I am. He's very cool. I had him do my cat-back exhaust, and also fix the balance on my new wheels when the first shop messed that up.

He knows about my plans to supercharge it, in fact he and some of his mechanics modify their cars and they are very cool towards working on mine. Actually, he has only one guy that he wants working on my car. I hear that from every place I've ever taken this Camaro, so I don't know if that's just a line to make me feel good or not!

Anyway, that reminds me I should call him and get it in. I was thinking about painting the new calipers IOM before I have the brakes changed out but I haven't done it yet. I'll keep you all posted!
Ah... I was going to say that I'll be in your area over X-mas weekend if you wanted any help installing those brakes.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,098
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
Just a fun fact, the stock V6 Camaro has about the same exact stopping distance as the Camaro SS with the Brembo's according to Motor Trend tests. Has to due with the extra weight.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

J
partially correct. The RS V6's stopped in roughly the same distance but its not because of weight. Its because of the tires, which are the same as what the SS has. The brembo brakes increase fade resistance. During repeated use, the SS will maintain its ~110 ft 60-0 while the V6 would take progressively longer.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Abygale


 
Abygale's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
During repeated use, the SS will maintain its ~110 ft 60-0 while the V6 would take progressively longer.

....and this is not good for autocrossing!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
....and this is not good for autocrossing!
Nope, not at all.

Though thats not to say the V6 brakes couldn't be upgraded in stock form. Drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines (are these available for the V6 yet?) would greatly reduce fade.

Of course, if the prices I was looking at for SS brakes are true, one might as well upgrade anyway.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
lsejlowe
 
lsejlowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
...stainless steel brake lines (are these available for the V6 yet?) would greatly reduce fade.

- X
the SS lines would reduce fade?
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
the SS lines would reduce fade?
Thats what I've read in the past. Good for stopping power and fade resistance.

Maybe I'm off base, but drilled rotors would surely help resist fade. And stainless brake lines would increase stopping power for sure. I mean, obviously the brembo system would be better all around, but fitment would be more of an issue, among other things (like cost).

I guess it all falls down to how often/seriously you plan on tracking the car.
- X

P.S. - When you quoted me without the first part you made it look like I was saying lines alone would greatly reduce fade, when what I was saying was that lines and rotors combined should greatly reduce fade.
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
lsejlowe
 
lsejlowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
P.S. - When you quoted me without the first part you made it look like I was saying lines alone would greatly reduce fade, when what I was saying was that lines and rotors combined should greatly reduce fade.
didn't mean to take things out of context, just trying to make things concise.

You're right that drilled rotors will absolutely reduce brake fade. The holes allow better ventilation of the rotors This results in better cooling and it permits vapor buildup between rotor and pad to escape. The holes will also help to clean the pads and improve brake "bite"

The only reason I could see SS lines helping reduce fade is the possibility of better thermal conductivity. A SS line may transmit heat from the brake fluid to the atmosphere more effectively than a rubber line.
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
didn't mean to take things out of context, just trying to make things concise.

You're right that drilled rotors will absolutely reduce brake fade. The holes allow better ventilation of the rotors This results in better cooling and it permits vapor buildup between rotor and pad to escape. The holes will also help to clean the pads and improve brake "bite"

The only reason I could see SS lines helping reduce fade is the possibility of better thermal conductivity. A SS line may transmit heat from the brake fluid to the atmosphere more effectively than a rubber line.
SS lines also give more consistent pressure where rubber lines do deform and ae not consistent and obviously are easier to damage or break.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
SS lines also give more consistent pressure where rubber lines do deform and ae not consistent and obviously are easier to damage or break.
This is what I thought as well.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
lsejlowe
 
lsejlowe's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Corvette
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 16
here's a well written FAQ from StopTech regarding SS hoses:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...teel_Q&A.shtml

they're definitely an improvement over stock hoses, but in a discussion of brake fade I'm not sure they have much relevance. Xanthos, I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to add some clarity and disprove any misnomers.
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GROUP BUY- Mach XL V6 (Manual) and Mach XLT V6 (Automatic)- Ends 11/30/09 GOINGSOLO2 V6 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 252 10-20-2011 08:33 PM
Will SS Brembo brake package fit 2LT? ajoverstreet06 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 15 06-07-2010 02:03 PM
TRADE ME YOUR FRONT SS FOR MY V6 FRONT!!! n-shane@hotmail.com Exterior Parts & Accessories 8 11-30-2009 03:07 AM
Does anyone know if the SS Brembo caliper will bolt on the V6? FISHTAIL Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 24 11-16-2009 06:56 AM
Camaro LS / LT / RS / SS specs and options! CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 119 09-02-2008 09:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.