Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #51
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Maybe you could just disable it through the PCM. Leave all the hard parts alone and do it electronically, unless you're throwing a cam in there. I wonder if a dealer would do that for you...

I like 'Spike23's idea though. It looks like the pipes from the cats' to the mufflers are close to mandrel-bent, so I bet it wouldn't be hard to just lop the OEM mufflers off and maybe weld some extension pipes (if necessary) and then the mufflers. I'm considering going that way depending on the prices of the CBs that are on the market at the time. I might get rid of any resonators if they happen to show up too and weld in some straight pipes.

'Energyforlife - IMVHO, your ideas on CBs are great. Congrats' on your order but also keep your eyes open on GMPP CBs. If I remember correctly, there will be two, a standard street-legal and off-road-only CB. I'm sure the prices will be similar to what is going to be out there in the aftermarket but you should be able to roll the cost into financing the car and have GMPP's warranty
Yes. Borla is not cheap. And they are somewhat loud, all the time. Tops in quality, though.

I like you resonator eliminator idea. You could have a GOOD exhaust man custum do that well, and reasonably priced.

Here's a couple of more ideas to enhance the possibilities:

The NPP Dual-Mode exhaust on the Corvette is a THRILL! It's like a straight-through shot where the two pipes with the butterfies open. I bought the mod kit, so you have remote control NPP.
You choose when the butterflies in the 2 of 4 tailpipes open.

You can set it open, even at idle.

Closed - all the time or

Regular program - opens around 3800 rpm. Roar!!!!

It roars, screams, primeval stuff, yet cruises the highway quietly.

Some vendor will be cashing in on the Camaro with this. They have kits to add to Corvettes now.

Lastly, more than a few G8 GT owners have modded their exhaust, because it is very quiet to hide the AFM unpleasing note when 4 cyls are off.

They remove the resonators and like it. But not at highway speeds, where you get the dreaded DRONE.

Some G8 GT and Challenger SRT owners have installed cutouts. They have them electrical now.

Nice and quiet --- Holy ...., wide open, just behind the cats, with a sidepipe cutout-only exit. giggle....
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #52
ponycrusher21

Drives: the passenger seat
here is a link to my dads video
he has flowmasters on his

Ponycrusher 21
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #53
ponycrusher21

Drives: the passenger seat
here is a link to my dads video
he has flowmasters on his

Ponycrusher 21
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #54
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
SEE PEOPLE!!!^^^

I'm NOT the only one who keeps getting double posts all the time! WTF is UP with this?!?!?!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #55
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
^ idk??
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #56
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
SLP is a nice setup. Flowmaster for some reason sounds like ASS on 4th gens.
Here's why:

Notice the SINGLE muffler? That means there's considerably less sound generated compared to the Mustang's exhaust, which is here:

That was one of my main concerns regarding the new Camaro. I was pretty happy to hear that GM decided to go with a TRUE dual exhaust system, which is why the new Camaro sounds great! Rest assured, the new Camaro is being built the right way.

I am running the Flowmaster American Thunder Super 40 series exhaust on my Mustang, and it sounds badass! I get compliments all the time. The sound is always deep and it gets extremely loud when floored. Thankfully, this series includes the Delta-Flow technology, which keeps interior noise levels surprisingly low. There's a BIG difference in sound when my windows are down versus up, and when I go WOT next to concrete walls (like on a bridge) it sounds like a freight train in heat. My setup includes an off-road H-pipe and the stock headers. There are also X-pipes available, but the sound is compromised a bit. The exhaust had a higher pitched sound with the X-pipe installed, which is not what I wanted.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #57
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Here's why:

Notice the SINGLE muffler? That means there's considerably less sound generated compared to the Mustang's exhaust, which is here:

yeah, but magnaflow and other companies that also do a single muffler for the camaro and sound great.

Flowmaster catbacks for the 3rd/4th gen f-body's are more restrictive than the other catback systems avaiable for the same cars.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #58
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It Flowmaster's rubbish crossflow muffler that sucks on F-bodies. Other than not being stainless, I don't have much to complain about Flowmasters, having had two and single chambers on my LT1, I though the sound was okay until the revs' got high. Mustangs with Flowmasters rock though - I don't think that's arguable, LOL! I think it's important not to thing Camaro will sound like a Mustang though - EVER. I've read so many times where an individual asks how to make a Camaro sound like a Mustang and they just don't understand it's impossible. Regardless, I think the exhaust we are getting is going to be a lot better from the factory than the past, and sound great, even before modding
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote