Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2501
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionbrent View Post
Still though, no matter what they will still be using SOHC Modulars (I do beleive their new 6.2l is a SOHC) in the new Mustang GTs right? They still have a live rear axle don't they? Not buying it as this great new thing. Modulars are expensive and the only thing that allows the live rear axle to compete is the track pack. Not to mention once you add all of these options and packages you are probably talking about a high 30s to 40k Mustang GT.
You are some distance behind the curve here. The 6.2L isn't slated for Mustang duty at all, and while it once appeared that the upcoming 400+hp V8 might be available as an option, it now appears virtually certain that the 5.0L V8 will be standard on the GT. Put more simply, the Mustang GT is getting a DOHC, 4-valve 5.0L V8 making 400+hp as standard, and there will be no 6.2L in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionbrent
3k + for SVT package assuming that is the new mod motor, the plus is for the badging and whatever new stripe they put on it. It will also most likely have interior options which I would guess will come off of the premium Mustang. 3k would be the extremley low ball number.
The SVT package isn't for the GT model, it's a combination axle package stripe delete/spoiler option for the GT500.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #2502
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
1ss is 31k, less than a mustang with a track pack. The Camaros base V8 is 426hp where as the hinted about up level Mustang V8 would probably be around a 3k option like it is on the SVT Raptor. I guess that would be my point. I guess if you think a push rod IRS car is the same as a modular live axle car then you would have a point. You would never think a LS engine is the same as a mod motor if you have worked on both of them, and if you have then you know exactly what I am saying

34k for Camaro 2ss

Base GT premium 32k

3k + for SVT package assuming that is the new mod motor, the plus is for the badging and whatever new stripe they put on it. It will also most likely have interior options which I would guess will come off of the premium Mustang. 3k would be the extremley low ball number.

Track pack is $1500

SVT would also most likely need the upspec wheels, or come with the SVT pack which would raise it's price. $700 for the current upspec wheels

Don't forget about your Brembo option, not standard. $ your guess

Minimum of 37k. Not counting the Brembos and low balling the hinted 6.2l package. Most likely over 38k.

To get a Camaro up that high from the factory you aren't adding any performance. The SS's performance maxes out at the 31k 1SS. Also these are with 2010 Mustang pricing. Who knows how it will change for 2011, but I would bet it isn't going down.
wait the 400 hp mustang is suppose to be the base v8. which will probably be a price increase for the mustang no matter what. but the current GT premium (leather from what I've seen) to equivalent SS is a 2SS 34k. plus track pack comes out right around 34k before any other options. so they are pretty much the same price for performance. but you are right about the 1ss same performance minus leather and other cool things.

and I have worked on both. I use to run around with mustang guys down in fayetteville when I was stationed down there.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #2503
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: Black 2010 1SS M6
Hmm...I didnt know it was going to be 400+ horsepower. I have always heard 400.

Its probably going to be 450hp and 3300 lbs by the time it comes out.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #2504
syr74
Account Suspended

Let me add to this just a little. There is a package which will be available for the GT that some folks have mentioned will be listed as a SVT package, but I cannot verify that it will be called that, this would be a distinct package from the one offered for the GT500 and info on what it contains is not 100% as yet. That said, the 5.0L V8 wont be a part of that package because the GT gets that as standard..
Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #2505
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
wait the 400 hp mustang is suppose to be the base v8. which will probably be a price increase for the mustang no matter what. but the current GT premium (leather from what I've seen) to equivalent SS is a 2SS 34k. plus track pack comes out right around 34k before any other options. so they are pretty much the same price for performance. but you are right about the 1ss same performance minus leather and other cool things.

and I have worked on both. I use to run around with mustang guys down in fayetteville when I was stationed down there.
I owned my mod motor mustang when i was stationed at Hood.

As to the other replies I guess maybe I am behind the curve. All I know is there is no replacement for displacement and If it does come with a new 5.0l DOHC wait till the people who don't know see how much that costs when you start to get into heavily modified cars.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #2506
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Unless they can fix that disaster of a rear end....
From the one car at Fema, shown above, the rear has been change slightly. Has a different rear difuser. The car in the pic is supposed to be a 2011 version of the Mustang.

Dec will be here soon enough cannot wait to see what will happen
Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #2507
dbedlam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mustangs have always been and will always be a Jersey Girl's shore car!! If you are a guy driving a Mustang..check your shorts..I bet you are missing esential equipment! The song Mustang Sally sez it all!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #2508
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
1ss is 31k, less than a mustang with a track pack. The Camaros base V8 is 426hp where as the hinted about up level Mustang V8 would probably be around a 3k option like it is on the SVT Raptor. I guess that would be my point. I guess if you think a push rod IRS car is the same as a modular live axle car then you would have a point. You would never think a LS engine is the same as a mod motor if you have worked on both of them, and if you have then you know exactly what I am saying

34k for Camaro 2ss

Base GT premium 32k

Track pack is $1500

SVT would also most likely need the upspec wheels, or come with the SVT pack which would raise it's price. $700 for the current upspec wheels

Don't forget about your Brembo option, not standard. $ your guess

Minimum of 37k. Not counting the Brembos and low balling the hinted 6.2l package. Most likely over 38k.

To get a Camaro up that high from the factory you aren't adding any performance. The SS's performance maxes out at the 31k 1SS. Also these are with 2010 Mustang pricing. Who knows how it will change for 2011, but I would bet it isn't going down.
You are way behind the curve on what the 2011 will have and on way off on prices. If you really want to talk about the 1SS starting at 31k then look at the fact you can get a base GT for 26k...

Decmember 3rd we will all know what the mustang is going to have in it and what options will be offered.

Quote:
I owned my mod motor mustang when i was stationed at Hood.

As to the other replies I guess maybe I am behind the curve. All I know is there is no replacement for displacement and If it does come with a new 5.0l DOHC wait till the people who don't know see how much that costs when you start to get into heavily modified cars.
What percentage of owners will actually get into heavy modifying? Probably less than 1%... Most people who do modify will slap on a supercharger and some bolt ons and be done with it. I also know a major supercharger company has already designed and will be producing a twin screw for the new 5.0L.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #2509
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Link to that company? Or is that just hearsay?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #2510
Bullitt

Drives: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbedlam View Post
Mustangs have always been and will always be a Jersey Girl's shore car!! If you are a guy driving a Mustang..check your shorts..I bet you are missing esential equipment! The song Mustang Sally sez it all!
I think you mullet needs a little trimming.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #2511
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Not bad from the front, perhaps a bit more import influence detected. Rear end does nothing for me. Much prefer the '05 look.
2009 - 2012: 2010 2SS RS IBM M6 Photos, MGW Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms/Tunnel Brace, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported TB, Kooks 6511-Complete (Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers), dyno tuned by R.P.M. = 415 hp/412 lb-ft.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #2512
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Link to that company? Or is that just hearsay?
It was posted by the company on this website while discussing their kit for the camaro ss.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #2513
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I think you mullet needs a little trimming.
lmao that isn't mullet country that is guido territory. More like he needs to cut back on the hair gel, highlights, fake tan, make up, and the lip purse.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #2514
GEIST LS9
An Evil Automotive Genius

Drives: 2003 Mercury Sable GS
truth be told speed costs money and how fast do you want to go?
I'm sayin is that whatever vechile I do end up buying I will heavily modify and it will be a sleeper,stang,camaro or something else i really don't care.
It'll be interesting on how much and what options will be on the 2011 vs the camaro
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #2515
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Ok ive been staying out to the discussion when both Camaro and Mustang are mentioned in the thread; but I after so time I came to have a strong opinion on things.

First, off I love the new Camaro. Its bold and I told myself that it was going to be my next step. Ive always owned and driven a Mustang. I love my Mustangs too. Well, Ive been pushed away from the Mustang for many reasons and thought i never be interested in Ford's offerings of the Mustang in the form of the GT and similarily tiered version. The Camaro of the same tier as of lately (argue all day if u wish and flame this statement) has been the faster car. When I look at my wallet i see Camaro SS or Mustang GT not GT500. So thats all I have to say on that. Then, there is the people. I hate that everyone and their mother has one. I still have one. I see pros and cons to this. The bad side to this is that it makes it very hard to one stand out. But, the positive side is that its twice as rewarding when u can make a tasteful uniquely styled Mustang that can stand out. Ive done that so would be put into the elbow grease catagory. Having so many people have the same car can suck, but the feeling gets reversed when one can go to Mustang Week at Myrtle Beach and get placement in a local cruise in with the old cats and treated with respect.

Now notice I have both positve and negative aspects listed for myself in the ownership of a Mustang. I favor the Camaro styling, but I still love Ford's refresh and the potential to be like a blank canvas. So the top thing that I couldnt shake was the fact that the Mustang tier for tier against a Camaro was a loser in the performance catagory. Well the coyote 5.0, 6spd, with 8.8 rear and a lighter body sounds like that could flip me towards the Mustang.

Months ago I would agree that this change would create an huge price increase for the Mustang. Now not so much. After more online info and hearing so forum chatter, I believe that this is not the case. What people fail to understand is that the 5.0 coyote is mass production engine designed to replace the 4.6 AND 5.4 in the whole Ford lineup. Meaning that every vehicle equipped with a 4.6/5.4 will prolly get phased into the Coyote camp, ex. f-series, e-series, mustang, and probably the future full sized sedan called the falcon or interceptor. My idea is that one engine being manufactured has to be cheaper than making two. This logic makes it hard for me to see an huge increase (around 2k) for the 2011. The rumored 6 spd manual and automatic prolly wont be an heaviley R&Ded task and prolly be what everyone else is using......a 6060 and Aisen for the new V6. So I cant see a increase from changing to a different Tremec offering and one so widely used. And finally the 8.8. Ancient........yes. Inferior.......not so. Inferior if you plan on racing a Laguna Seca mapped road with New Mexico back road quality. But for a good track (where racing and aggressive/down to business driving should be done) the 8.8 is up for the task and has been proven with the help of the Mustang's design and more so with the track pack.

So from the side of my wallet this question comes to mind and I keep it to maintain the mindset: Going from a LS1 in a 2004 GTO and LS2 in a 2005 GTO didnt merit a huge increase so why does so many think that for a Mustang? Prolly because for some reason they want it to. Im sure Ford wants their Mustangs sales to beat the Camaro once again; so I wouldnt be holding my breath and stomping my feet insanely when the Ford releases pricing within 500 more or the same as it now.

As for which one will a choose. Still a toss up for me, but if I could see validation of my thought i may fall on Ford's side of the fence. If i could still be a Mustang driver and get the performance from a base V8 version that ive been crying over for years; then it looks like a have ur cake and eat it too deal.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #2516
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post
It was posted by the company on this website while discussing their kit for the camaro ss.
You know how many vendors post on this site? lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #2517
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Ok ive been staying out to the discussion when both Camaro and Mustang are mentioned in the thread; but I after so time I came to have a strong opinion on things.

First, off I love the new Camaro. Its bold and I told myself that it was going to be my next step. Ive always owned and driven a Mustang. I love my Mustangs too. Well, Ive been pushed away from the Mustang for many reasons and thought i never be interested in Ford's offerings of the Mustang in the form of the GT and similarily tiered version. The Camaro of the same tier as of lately (argue all day if u wish and flame this statement) has been the faster car. When I look at my wallet i see Camaro SS or Mustang GT not GT500. So thats all I have to say on that. Then, there is the people. I hate that everyone and their mother has one. I still have one. I see pros and cons to this. The bad side to this is that it makes it very hard to one stand out. But, the positive side is that its twice as rewarding when u can make a tasteful uniquely styled Mustang that can stand out. Ive done that so would be put into the elbow grease catagory. Having so many people have the same car can suck, but the feeling gets reversed when one can go to Mustang Week at Myrtle Beach and get placement in a local cruise in with the old cats and treated with respect.

Now notice I have both positve and negative aspects listed for myself in the ownership of a Mustang. I favor the Camaro styling, but I still love Ford's refresh and the potential to be like a blank canvas. So the top thing that I couldnt shake was the fact that the Mustang tier for tier against a Camaro was a loser in the performance catagory. Well the coyote 5.0, 6spd, with 8.8 rear and a lighter body sounds like that could flip me towards the Mustang.

Months ago I would agree that this change would create an huge price increase for the Mustang. Now not so much. After more online info and hearing so forum chatter, I believe that this is not the case. What people fail to understand is that the 5.0 coyote is mass production engine designed to replace the 4.6 AND 5.4 in the whole Ford lineup. Meaning that every vehicle equipped with a 4.6/5.4 will prolly get phased into the Coyote camp, ex. f-series, e-series, mustang, and probably the future full sized sedan called the falcon or interceptor. My idea is that one engine being manufactured has to be cheaper than making two. This logic makes it hard for me to see an huge increase (around 2k) for the 2011. The rumored 6 spd manual and automatic prolly wont be an heaviley R&Ded task and prolly be what everyone else is using......a 6060 and Aisen for the new V6. So I cant see a increase from changing to a different Tremec offering and one so widely used. And finally the 8.8. Ancient........yes. Inferior.......not so. Inferior if you plan on racing a Laguna Seca mapped road with New Mexico back road quality. But for a good track (where racing and aggressive/down to business driving should be done) the 8.8 is up for the task and has been proven with the help of the Mustang's design and more so with the track pack.

So from the side of my wallet this question comes to mind and I keep it to maintain the mindset: Going from a LS1 in a 2004 GTO and LS2 in a 2005 GTO didnt merit a huge increase so why does so many think that for a Mustang? Prolly because for some reason they want it to. Im sure Ford wants their Mustangs sales to beat the Camaro once again; so I wouldnt be holding my breath and stomping my feet insanely when the Ford releases pricing within 500 more or the same as it now.

As for which one will a choose. Still a toss up for me, but if I could see validation of my thought i may fall on Ford's side of the fence. If i could still be a Mustang driver and get the performance from a base V8 version that ive been crying over for years; then it looks like a have ur cake and eat it too deal.
You should prolly go with the Stang. Because once you go Camaro, you're never goin back... It's more than just numbers with this car.

Me, I'll prolly never drive anything BUT Camaro, and I've had the opportunity to tool around in a few Stangs. They just don't feel the same. But it's prolly me. I'm prolly biased. Or maybe my mind is just tweaked from the use of the word "prolly"

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #2518
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Ill probably try to avoid internetism to please you in the future. My opinion is still unchanged; not that I think someone was attempting to change it.

Ive had seat time in both cars. My first opinion of the seating of the Camaro was how it felt like a Mustang with higher window line. And that is not a complaint. I hated how a 4th gen felt, so I think it was a great welcomed departure. I could feel at home in either one; so for me it boils down to the numbers because in the end thats what made me feel unsatified with a Mustang GT in the past.

Plus Im looking at how I would modified the car. First I like a gear swap and exhaust change. Seeing how everyone has someone in the community to swap gears on a 8.8 and how cheap it is to do sounds like a winner. Gears on any car, too me is the best bang for the buck and seat of the pants besides power adders. Ford, from the factory is attempting to narrow the gap in performance between the mustang and camaro. I think for the first time in years, that a power adder wont be needed to maintain equal perfromance when it comes to mods.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #2519
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Ill probably try to avoid internetism to please you in the future. My opinion is still unchanged; not that I think someone was attempting to change it.

Ive had seat time in both cars. My first opinion of the seating of the Camaro was how it felt like a Mustang with higher window line. And that is not a complaint. I hated how a 4th gen felt, so I think it was a great welcomed departure. I could feel at home in either one; so for me it boils down to the numbers because in the end thats what made me feel unsatified with a Mustang GT in the past.

Plus Im looking at how I would modified the car. First I like a gear swap and exhaust change. Seeing how everyone has someone in the community to swap gears on a 8.8 and how cheap it is to do sounds like a winner. Gears on any car, too me is the best bang for the buck and seat of the pants besides power adders. Ford, from the factory is attempting to narrow the gap in performance between the mustang and camaro. I think for the first time in years, that a power adder wont be needed to maintain equal perfromance when it comes to mods.
I honestly couldn't stand how the 4th Gens looked. It was like an oval with wheels... just to me. But I liked how the 05-09 Mustangs looked very much. I'm just glad that Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge are going at it again. Competition breeds excellence and that can only make it better for the consumers.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #2520
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Jinx good post, I am in the same boat as you. If the 400hp coyote comes I will land on the mustang side for sure. Otherwise it is still a toss up between the mustang, camaro, and challenger. I know the challenger is a hell of a pig but damn they look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I'm just glad that Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge are going at it again. Competition breeds excellence and that can only make it better for the consumers.
+1
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #2521
brett2010

Drives: 2005 roush mustang
mustang rules!!!!

crapmaro got killed todday ss vs gt....the ss's rear in broke off the starting line hahahah wow
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #2522
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
man, you showed that camaro who's boss!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #2523
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #2524
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
One time a Mustang touched me. In my no-no area.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #2525
syr74
Account Suspended

Official 2011 Mustang V6 HP/TQ Revealed.

And the numbers are impressive: Ford claims 305 horsepower at 6500 rpm, 280 pound-feet at 4250 rpm and 30 mpg with the automatic, on the highway. “We are the only ones who can provide 30 mpg and 305 horsepower,” says Barb Samardzich, Ford’s global powertrain vice president. What’s more, redline is now a Honda-like 7000 rpm.

Read more:http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz0YJgfakCc

Closed Thread