Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #51
RCPW

Drives: 2005 Dodge Dakota
Thumbs up

So, What was the Final Word about ZMax Oil/Gas Treatment Solution?

Basicly,...
It's not going to cause any harm that we know of.
It's not something you have to use.
If you buy it your wasting your money.

Okay,.. Now, Let's hear from the Firm Belivers now if they still feel 'like chatting or have the guts to,...
I would love to hear what your thoughts are on using ZMax Products Please, I receive my Oil/Gas Combo Treatment box on Tuesday..

Thanks Guys.
My Future Car As It Stands Below,... (1100 Order Accepted At Dealer 11.21.09 - 2000 Accepted At GM 11.24.09 - 2500 Preferenced 11.25.09 - 3000 Production Control 12.03.09 Notes: 01/11/2010 Added What ever that means? - 12.17.09 - 3400 Order Broadcast -)
RCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #52
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPW View Post
So, What was the Final Word about ZMax Oil/Gas Treatment Solution?

Basicly,...
It's not going to cause any harm that we know of.
It's not something you have to use.
If you buy it your wasting your money.

Okay,.. Now, Let's hear from the Firm Belivers now if they still feel 'like chatting or have the guts to,...
I would love to hear what your thoughts are on using ZMax Products Please, I receive my Oil/Gas Combo Treatment box on Tuesday..

Thanks Guys.
Your car is BRAND NEW. Even if these things worked, which they don't, why would you need to condition a brand new gas tank, lines, and injectors? They should be running at peak performance since they have less than 3k miles on them. Your engine has synthetic oil (mobil 1, I believe). What good is Zmax or any other additive going to give you?

If this were a 10+yr old HIGH mileage vehicle, I might be more willing to give something a try but not a brand new one. There's absolutely ZERO benefit from using any of these products on a brand new vehicle and it's VERY questionable with any vehicle at all.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #53
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
ZMax is Bull Sh!t

Even the manufacturer admits that it is 99% plain old White Petroleum Mineral Oil, which common uses are:

o A topical ointment for chemical burns
o Used in many skin care products
o Wart Remover
o A component in laxatives
o Lubricant for eye drops
o To make a fortune from dumb a$$e$ willing to pay $50 for 25 cents worth of wart remover!

Uhm, yeah dude, this stuff lubricates my poop when I'm backed up, so of course it's going to make my LS3 run like a raped ape. The secret is that it really moves things along.

And why buy it in bulk for $3 a gallon, when I can get 8 ounces of it from Z-Max for $50?
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #54
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.
It's a Bruton Smith Scam.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #55
drgb

Drives: Buick Lesabre
Long-time ZMax user responds....

I grow tired of comments from critics and skeptics who slam a product and then go on to admit they've never actually used the product in question. How about telling us that in the first sentence so you don't waste our time with your uninformed, baseless opinion?
Since the late 1980's I've averaged 25-45k miles/yr. and have tried most every oil and fuel product on the market. Started using ZMax over 15 yrs. ago in a 2.2L Mazda MX-6 after it was run hot (to my surprise neither the temp gage nor idiot light were working). Due to warpage the engine ran very rough with a lot of exhaust noise and mpg dropped from 30+ to 17 and improved to 22mpg after nearly a year of driving. A friend introduced me to ZMax--12 oz. in gas tank and 12 oz. in crankcase--and I headed home. After about 10 miles of driving the engine smoothed and the exhaust sound diminished by at least 80%. Thought my hearing was defective. MPG gradually improved to 28-29 and I sold the car @ 306k miles.
Used it next in a 3.8L Windstar van. Advised I'd need transmission work in 5k-15k miles and was cautioned to let van warm up before putting in gear when cold. The one time I forgot caused a very rough shift and resultant slippage. Treated with 6oz. ZMax and put another 25-30k on it before selling it to my mechanic. Never slipped after treatment.
Next bought a 305c.i.Olds Custom Cruiser with low miles. ZMaxed the engine and fuel but afraid to treat the transmission as it was always full (didn't know I could have used it as it soaks into the metal). After 3 years of reliable driving the tranny failed on the last leg of a 1500 mi. trip--lost all but 1st gear--too late for ZMax.
Now driving a 3.8L Buick Lesabre and ZMaxed everything (oil, gas, transm., pwr strg pump) and rewarded with greatly improved performance and mileage (24.5mpg mixed and 30+ hwy @ 65-75 mph).
The criticism that ZMax is made from mineral oil is partially true. The inventor, Joe Lencki, met the Italian physicist Enrico Fermi, who was in Chicago working on the Manhattan Project (A-bomb @ Univ. of Chgo). Fermi told him how to break down mineral oil into smaller molecules so it could soak into the pores of metal (yes, metal is porous) and dry start-up is eliminated. Every other oil has molecules which float on the surface and must circulate before providing protection. ZMax is not an additive but an oil and will not react with additives in your motor oil. The manufacturers aren't going to promote products that reduce maintenance---that would affect the income of dealers and others who depend on car repairs for a living. (A mechanic telling you regular oil's just fine is akin to a priest telling you that withdrawal is a reliable form of birth control). Why take a chance?
BTW, Slick 50 WAS a good product 'til someone figured out the expensive virgin teflon being used expands greatly when heated and "why not make it cheaper?". You can still get the original formula from Buzz Miller in Kalona, Iowa. Sorry I don't have contact info for him. Met him a few years ago and he was a wealth of information.
Hope this posting clears the air somewhat.
drgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #56
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
ZMax is Bull Sh!t

Even the manufacturer admits that it is 99% plain old White Petroleum Mineral Oil, which common uses are:

o A topical ointment for chemical burns
o Used in many skin care products
o Wart Remover
o A component in laxatives
o Lubricant for eye drops
o To make a fortune from dumb a$$e$ willing to pay $50 for 25 cents worth of wart remover!

Uhm, yeah dude, this stuff lubricates my poop when I'm backed up, so of course it's going to make my LS3 run like a raped ape. The secret is that it really moves things along.

And why buy it in bulk for $3 a gallon, when I can get 8 ounces of it from Z-Max for $50?
That's beautiful! I felt a tear welt up in my eye when I read it. Good laughs. Just like a locked tune. If they don't want you to know what's in it, it's probably BS. ZDDP content. Research and notice how many companies won't say how much is in their products. My engine builder told me to run Mobile 1 15W50. I realized why when I compared the published additive package to the others who will actually publicize theirs. Mobile 1 5W30 extended mileage in the stock motors is my personal policy. Others are pretty good but the Mobile 1 stuff compares well to everything I've seen documentation on.

Bottom line. No ZMAX for me .
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #57
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Hey drgb... why buy Zmax when a gallon of white mineral oil only costs a few bucks. It is the same thing that is in the Zmax bottle.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #58
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
FTC Facts:
FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:
  • increases gas mileage;
  • increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%
  • reduces engine wear;
  • reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
  • reduces engine corrosion;
  • extends engine life; and
  • reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:
  • increases gas mileage;
  • reduces engine wear;
  • extends engine life;
  • lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%
  • lowers wear on valve stems by 66%
  • lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and
  • cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Bahahahaha.

Sincerely,

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I for one fell for the "Slick 50" oil additive treatment in the mid 80's. It was worthless.

My daily driver (DD) 2000 Subaru Outback AWD was about to cross the 200k mark when the timing belt broke. Had 90k miles on the belt, was going to swap it out and change the water pump and pulleys at the same time...Well, I did do all that, unfortunately after the belt broke! Also changed all 16 valves, redressed the head and all is good, albeit many $$$ later.

I bought the car with 85k miles on it almost 5yrs ago and always bought conventional oil on sale and usually just put in the cheapest 87 octane gas. Those valves were pretty clean, hardly any buildup, although bent! darn zero clearance motors. Guess Subaru has returned to a timing chain, but anyways, interestingly, I could still see the machining marks on the sidewalls of the engine when we pulled the valves. So I am hoping to push the car to 300k, but if so, changing that belt at 80k this time!

Bottom line, think that regular fluid and filter changes are more important than additives.

Thank you.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
Rocker SS

Drives: SS 45th Anniversary Coupe Manual
All that crap is a worthless waste of money.. Ever see the one where their driving around the track after draining the oil and the motors run fine.. Think the Unsers were involved in that one..
If you believe that crap I got some swamp land in Florida to sell you..
Also these companies were fined years ago (slick 50, Teflon etc) for misleading advertising and forced to either remove there prodocts from the shelves or take off the stuff about improving engine life, and fuel mileage.. etc etc.. Zmax is no different.. My rule is to not buy anything on those late night info commercials.. cause its all BS. Remeber the Tornado... LOL.. spools the air smoothly going into your intake.. hows it going to do that when it has to pass through the throttle bodies still... my goodness have some common sense. :-)

The only additive that i ever heard that works is Chevron Techron.

Last edited by Rocker SS; 02-13-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Rocker SS is offline   Reply With Quote