Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Spitfire

Drives: RX7
Bodywork

Trying to lose weight off the car:

When i get my Camaro, ill be putting bigger rims on it & strut bracing but i would rather not go too mad on tuning because i dont want it to go through fuel like a firehose. Love the interior so dont wana strip it, so the only thing i could think of is reducing the weight of the bodywork?

Would replacing the steel panels with carbon fibre reduce the weight by a significant amount? (obviously that doesnt come cheap.)

Seeing as weight = more fuel (a litre of fuel in London costs 1 pound/$2)

Comparing the specs of the Camaro versus the Mustang GT

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...eatures/specs/
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/camarospecs.pdf

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Camaro l Mustang GT
BHP>>>>>>>>>>> 422 l 300
TORQUE>>>>>>>> 408 l 320
0-60>>>>>>>>>> 4.9 l 5.1
60-0>>>>>>>>>> 117FT l 120FT
WEIGHT IN LBS>> 3860 l 3518

So if i could reduce the weight by at least 300 would reap the benifits (And cos a m8 has a Mustang GT lol

Any ideas?

Last edited by Spitfire; 08-05-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
Carbon fiber is A LOT lighter than steel. exsactly how much lighter I don't know...
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Makes me glad gas is only 3.42 here... Almost eight bucks for a gallon of gas... crazy crazy...

My best thought for saving weight would be what you said - replace the steel with either carbon fiber or fiberglass. Also, you might consider a warm air intake (sounds silly, but I've heard that while warm/hot air doesn't produce as much power as cold air, it does net better fuel economy...)
- Xanthos
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Makes me glad gas is only 3.42 here... Almost eight bucks for a gallon of gas... crazy crazy...

My best thought for saving weight would be what you said - replace the steel with either carbon fiber or fiberglass. Also, you might consider a warm air intake (sounds silly, but I've heard that while warm/hot air doesn't produce as much power as cold air, it does net better fuel economy...)
- Xanthos
Cheers for the info m8 will check it out
Old 08-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Trying to lose weight off the car:

When i get my Camaro, ill be putting bigger rims on it & strut bracing but i would rather not go too mad on tuning because i dont want it to go through fuel like a firehose. Love the interior so dont wana strip it, so the only thing i could think of is reducing the weight of the bodywork?

Would replacing the steel panels with carbon fibre reduce the weight by a significant amount? (obviously that doesnt come cheap.)

Seeing as weight = more fuel (a litre of fuel in London costs 1 pound/$2)

Comparing the specs of the Camaro versus the Mustang GT

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...eatures/specs/
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/camarospecs.pdf

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Camaro l Mustang GT
BHP>>>>>>>>>>> 422 l 300
TORQUE>>>>>>>> 408 l 320
0-60>>>>>>>>>> 4.9 l 5.1
60-0>>>>>>>>>> 117FT l 120FT
WEIGHT IN LBS>> 3860 l 3518

So if i could reduce the weight by at least 300 would reap the benifits (And cos a m8 has a Mustang GT lol

Any ideas?
Ok, first get the Base SS, no options, that will get you the lightest V8 powered car. then Remove all the Air conditioning equipment you can (Compressor,Condenser, associated lines and relays etc) it dosen't get that hot in London does it?. Replace the hood and trunk with Carbon Fiber, Not Fiberglass, Some fiberglass componets are heaver than the steel they replace, unless you get the lightweight drag componets then they will flex too much and not hold up to everyday use. Carbon fiber is lighter and Stronger.
Replace stock exhaust with a good Cat Back system, Most stock exhaust are very heavy. Check the weight of the rims and tires, then find a lighter set.
remove the spare tire (if it comes with one) and keep a air pump with a can of flat fixer. or use run flat tires, but usually they are heavier than regular tires so you wouldn't lose much if any weight.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Spitfire

Will def look into that thanks Skyman, and unfortunately it gets to around 104 degrees here in summer and i prefer the cold so the air con will be stayin lol
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Replace the hood and trunk with Carbon Fiber, Not Fiberglass, Some fiberglass componets are heaver than the steel they replace, unless you get the lightweight drag componets then they will flex too much and not hold up to everyday use. Carbon fiber is lighter and Stronger.
The factory hood is supposed to be aluminum. I couldn't imagine CF being that much lighter to be worth the cost.
aston70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
ok a couple of things...

First off, the hood is stamped aluminum.. your not going to get much lighter, yea carbon fiber would be, but your net gain would be very small for a tidy sum of cash..

Second, carbon fiber body panel replacements, while a good idea in theory ( and even practise) is VERY expensive, I mean multiple tens of thousands expensive! Add in the fact that even AFTER you have them custom made, you have to get them painted (another expense to an already expensive project). Not saying you should, just saying its not practical. You could in theory lose a good 150ish pounds this way.

Third, Yes look at your wheels and tires, most people don't know that just a single wheel nowadays (especially 20's+) with a wheel on them can weigh as much as 100 lbs (EACH!) so its possible to downsize and get lighter tires and save as much as 30-40lbs at each corner. BUT we don't know what the stockers weigh.. that will have to wait until production.

Fourth, spare is an option on the V6er and not one on the SS models. If your getting a V8, wont matter, No spare.

Fifth, Why the worry, the SS will outrun everything out there for the same price, including your friends GT, unless hes dropped the 5.5k for the whipple kit then your in trouble.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
ok a couple of things...

Fifth, Why the worry, the SS will outrun everything out there for the same price, including your friends GT, unless hes dropped the 5.5k for the whipple kit then your in trouble.
Thanks for the info, hadnt read anywhere that the hood was alu,. Won't be downsizing the wheels cos they look wikkid

He got the GT and has added a supercharger afterwards, I'm not majorly fussed in top end or anything, just off-the-line 0-60 kinda stuff.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
spend a couple thousand to save a few hundred ?

a CAI and cam swap should get the ls3 into or close to the 500 HP mark
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote