Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
born-to-fish-

Drives: '10 Summit White 2SS/RS
canadian pricing sucks

Just built up the camaro I would like to buy.
2SS rally package, silver ice metallic, black stripes.

The american price is $36,265
The canadian price is $44,745
That's a difference of $8,480

I'm no business major, could anyone explain what gives???
Last time I checked, the exchange rate was around 97 cents canadian on the american dollar.
Maybe population base? More of a market in the US?
Perplexed and pissed,
Kev
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2010 RS
Are your taxes already figured into that price?
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
You surprised? Canada is steadily sliding into the everything sucks wavepool. Taxes and bs, all this country is about.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
born-to-fish-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChula View Post
Are your taxes already figured into that price?
No taxes included in either price
Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Cause for the last 20 years Canada hasn't been anywhere near parity with the US dollar. It has only been the last little while, and even then, the exchange hasn't been stable.

Exchange rate will have to stay near even for a longer amount of time before you see price parity on big ticket items like that.

I would suggest you look into getting a used 'Maro imported if it really bothers you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
GM is probably charging the Canadians for their employees' health care.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
born-to-fish-

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
You surprised? Canada is steadily sliding into the everything sucks wavepool. Taxes and bs, all this country is about.
Ya I am suprised actually. The real kicker is the cars are made in Canada!

My quoted prices are before taxes.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with population. The U.S. has ten times the population as that of Canada, so the majority of sales would naturally be in the U.S. So the biggest consumer would get the best price. Maybe an e-mail to GM canada is in order for clarification.

PS> We're currently getting the HST tax shoved down our throats as well. Plus BC has a land tranfer tax, every time you sell your house and buy another a tax is put on the sale price of the house. The last time we sold, it was around 5000 bucks. I think New Brunswick and BC are the only provinces that have it. If you think you're getting the shaft, try moving to BC. Provincial tax, GST, carbon tax, land transfer tax.... the list keeps growing every year. I think a general strike or a revolution should be organized
Cheers,
Kev
Old 12-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
CPanther95

Quote:
Originally Posted by born-to-fish- View Post
a revolution should be organized
Cheers,
Kev
If you guys are successful, you mind invading the US when you're done?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
drksthr
.dead in ditches.

Drives: 2006 Mustang
it would have to do with the population indeed..
Canada only sells 1/10 of what the states sell.. the supply to demand isn't as high here as it could be.. so the prices are up...

thats pretty much the short of it..

or so i'm told from a family member that is a GM for a dealership.. lol
Old 12-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Cause for the last 20 years Canada hasn't been anywhere near parity with the US dollar. It has only been the last little while, and even then, the exchange hasn't been stable.

Exchange rate will have to stay near even for a longer amount of time before you see price parity on big ticket items like that.

I would suggest you look into getting a used 'Maro imported if it really bothers you.
Correct! GM still thinks we have a 70 cent dollar. It sucks. Got to pay to play. Go big or go home.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
GM is probably charging the Canadians for their employees' health care.
Not really. The same Canadian autoworker that built mine are building each and everyone headed to the US. So in other words, costs GM the same coin to build a Camaro, reguardless of which country it's going to.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
CPanther95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Not really. The same Canadian autoworker that built mine are building each and everyone headed to the US. So in other words, costs GM the same coin to build a Camaro, reguardless of which country it's going to.
I meant they are charging all corporate employees' health care costs to Canadian consumers.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
fast orange
Account Suspended

Drives: 2003 Corvette, 2009 ChallengerSRT8
hey, before i start i want to say that i'm not happy about our tax situation in Canada
ask our American friends how many of them are dealing with medical debt, this is unheard of in Canada. I think our population is too small for the size of our country
we spend a lot of time in Florida, we love the U.S. and we support them, but it is always nice to be home in Canada, higher taxes are a fact of life here
fast orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I meant they are charging all corporate employees' health care costs to Canadian consumers.

I would assume your not in favour of a health care program in the US.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Quote:
I would assume your not in favour of a health care program in the US.
The public debt in the USA is mind boggling, I think a public health care system for 307,000,000 people is unaffordable. The public debt celing was recently set at 12.4 TRILLION dollars!!! The insurance companies now are running the medical profession instead of professionals like doctors!!!
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1950 View Post
The public debt in the USA is mind boggling, I think a public health care system for 307,000,000 people is unaffordable. The public debt celing was recently set at 12.4 TRILLION dollars!!! The insurance companies now are running the medical profession instead of professionals like doctors!!!
I don't want to stir the pot. Guess just thankful we have Health Care in Canada.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
I don't want to stir the pot. Guess just thankful we have Health Care in Canada.
And your paying for it it big time. Not to mention you get the care the gov't says you can get.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
And your paying for it it big time. Not to mention you get the care the gov't says you can get.
Maybe. But I'm not complaining, pretty Happy guy small mortage, very well paying job, lots of toys. Maybe could use a bit more fishing time, but you can't have everything.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
riderguy999
can't wait

Drives: 2lt RS
how do you go from over price camaros to health care, all i will say is that we voted for the government. and gm is still hurting. and if we sit back and take it in the ass we get what we deserve. i bought my car from the 1500.00 less msrp and had them eat the ac, tire tax and the pdi freight charges,i fought for and i got it gm needs the sales no matter what car it is don't let them tell you other wise
riderguy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksthr View Post
it would have to do with the population indeed..
Canada only sells 1/10 of what the states sell.. the supply to demand isn't as high here as it could be.. so the prices are up...

thats pretty much the short of it..

or so i'm told from a family member that is a GM for a dealership.. lol
you're joking.....right? you're joking....right? the car is made in Oshawa Canada...the demand for the car is made up from the complete market which includes domestic and export markets. it pretty much costs the same to make a car for Canada as it does for the US. the only difference would be the freight destination charges (which are a rip off and a cash grab). nothing to do with number of people in a geographical area and how much they demand cars. not in this case anyway
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cam View Post
you're joking.....right? you're joking....right? the car is made in Oshawa Canada...the demand for the car is made up from the complete market which includes domestic and export markets. it pretty much costs the same to make a car for Canada as it does for the US. the only difference would be the freight destination charges (which are a rip off and a cash grab). nothing to do with number of people in a geographical area and how much they demand cars. not in this case anyway

I agree! It's a cash grab by GM Still thinking we have a 70 cent $.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #22
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderguy999 View Post
how do you go from over price camaros to health care, all i will say is that we voted for the government. and gm is still hurting. and if we sit back and take it in the ass we get what we deserve. i bought my car from the 1500.00 less msrp and had them eat the ac, tire tax and the pdi freight charges,i fought for and i got it gm needs the sales no matter what car it is don't let them tell you other wise

It is what it is! I paid full MSRP less 1 K for GM loaylty and $1500 GM $. That being said my Maro is a RP6 code car bulit in the 1st 4k. One of the first on the block to have one. Got to pay to play. Don't regret it for a minute.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
born-to-fish-

Well I just sent an e-mail off to GM Canada. We'll have to see what the official opinion is on this subject, after they get back from their holidays, that is. I'll be sure to post what "the man" says...LOL
Old 12-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
lpauto.ca imports cars from the US for you and handles all the pain the ass stuff. There fees seem to be damn small so it's an option. They quoted me $34K CAD for a Mustang GT (taxes in) imported from the US, where the same version was $42K CAD here (no taxes).

If the 2011 GT or SS really step it up I'll probably import a car as saving $8K+ is definitely worth it.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
Gibby
Z28 LS9

Drives: Traverse, Blazer, Cadillac,Fat Boy
One thing no one has mentioned is that we earn higher incomes in Canada. For example, what does the average cop in the US earn? In Canada it's about $70,000.00+. I know retired senior officers, in their 50's, making $110,000+, on pensions indexed to inflation. (I'm not a cop, but I know hundreds).

Also, I wouldn't give up our healthcare system for anything! For every bad story you hear, there are hundreds if good ones.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote