Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
scomaro22

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS! ,'09 Genesis
HELP! Fuel malfunction code after CAI install

Ok so I know this should be in the exhaust section BUT I know that there are usually more people looking through here, so my dilemma is this......I got my Volant CAI and put it on the car. It was a simple install, and looks great, but less than 5 min after installing it and on the road, my computer set off a fuel malfunction code . Then, another light popped up on my dash, and my tire pressure monitor system cleared, and the car asked me if I wanted the car to re-learn ????? Huh ????? So, I assume the fuel malfunction is because of the CAI, but the other code setting off is throwing me off here. The obvious thing is to take the car to the dealership, but before I do that, any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else ???

scomaro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scomaro22 View Post
Ok so I know this should be in the exhaust section BUT I know that there are usually more people looking through here, so my dilemma is this......I got my Volant CAI and put it on the car. It was a simple install, and looks great, but less than 5 min after installing it and on the road, my computer set off a fuel malfunction code . Then, another light popped up on my dash, and my tire pressure monitor system cleared, and the car asked me if I wanted the car to re-learn ????? Huh ????? So, I assume the fuel malfunction is because of the CAI, but the other code setting off is throwing me off here. The obvious thing is to take the car to the dealership, but before I do that, any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else ???
I have no idea. All I know is if it transforms into a 40' tall robot and starts yelling that it needs oil... you better give it some oil!

It would help if you could tell us which codes it's giving you.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
I have no idea. All I know is if it transforms into a 40' tall robot and starts yelling that it needs oil... you better give it some oil!

It would help if you could tell us which codes it's giving you.
If that was the case, I'd def not be complaining about it

You mean like the actual number codes ??? I don't have those I just know that the malfunction icon came up (then engine block symbol ) and the exclamation point icon for service tire pressure monitor....

Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Make sure your masairflow sensor is in the correct direction (it might only install in one direction only I do not remember). Verify all connections to make sure they are tight especially the breather line. Also unplug the battery for a few minutes and then retry it. Post pictures of the install and I can give it a dummy check!!

Also, what other upgrades are on your on Camaro? If it is cold, check your tire pressure, it could be just low. With it as cold as it is, you might be throwing lean codes.

Last edited by steeleshark2; 12-28-2009 at 09:04 AM.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
I would pull the battery cables off to reset all and see what happens.
To reset the tire pressure, just hold the press button the left steering wheel arm (same that you scroll through odomoeter, etc.). This has happened a few times to others and you may get away with resetting fuses 5 and 20 in the fuse box (Elect Control Module), but a batt cable pull will definitely reset all. I would surely try this before going to the dealer.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Make sure your masairflow sensor is in the correct direction (it might only install in one direction only I do not remember). Verify all connections to make sure they are tight especially the breather line. Also unplug the battery for a few minutes and then retry it. Post pictures of the install and I can give it a dummy check!!

Also, what other upgrades are on your on Camaro? If it is cold, check your tire pressure, it could be just low.
MAF is in correctly, all the connections are tight, especially the breather line. I am posting pics in a min

Old 12-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
I would pull the battery cables off to reset all and see what happens.
To reset the tire pressure, just hold the press button the left steering wheel arm (same that you scroll through odomoeter, etc.). This has happened a few times to others and you may get away with resetting fuses 5 and 25 in the fuse box (Elect Control Module), but a batt cable pull will definitely reset all. I would surely try this before going to the dealer.
Ok cool I will try that as well. Thank you for the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out once I do it.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
I just edited my post - it is fuses 5 and 20, not 5 and 25.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
steeleshark2

Also, what other upgrades are on your on Camaro? If it is cold, check your tire pressure, it could be just low. With it as cold as it is, you might be throwing lean codes. Volant is a very good and open CAI and makes you run lean without any tune.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
I just edited my post - it is fuses 5 and 20, not 5 and 25.
O ok thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
scomaro22

Quote:
Also, what other upgrades are on your on Camaro? If it is cold, check your tire pressure, it could be just low. With it as cold as it is, you might be throwing lean codes. Volant is a very good and open CAI and makes you run lean without any tune.
Only other thing I have on there is straight pipes running back to single chamber race mufflers. Thats it. I just had a tire plugged bc of a freaking rivet that I picked up along the way But its holding, so I dunno. The pressure is 35 all around.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
steeleshark2

Ok, on the mass airflow sensor, did you remove the little thin rectangle gasket at the base of it (where it seals against the stock intake pipe) and use the rubber seal supplied in the box. It is small and I missed it the first time I installed mine which made it install funny.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
scomaro22

Quote:
Ok, on the mass airflow sensor, did you remove the little thin rectangle gasket at the base of it (where it seals against the stock intake pipe) and use the rubber seal supplied in the box. It is small and I missed it the first time I installed mine which made it install funny.
Hmmmmm, now you have me thinking......I do not remember removing one, but I did use the one that was supplied......O and for some reason my USB port won't function to put the pictures up, so these will be delayed.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
steeleshark2

If you goto your local autoparts store, call first. A lot of them will read the codes on your car for free.