Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
CLEAN
Driving Camaro #5
 
CLEAN's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Grand Sport/'09 G8GT/'12 SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 412
My SS's ride is too jumpy...

My G8GT is very smooth and stable, but the SS jumps around and bounces way too much. Is pedders a viable option? I don't want a harder suspension, I just want a smoother ride, and no bounce. I've got a base suspended C6 that doesn't jump around as much as this Camaro does. Opinions please....
__________________
"Ever since we got the Camaro, everything seems better"
-My 6 year old daughter
CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,365
Hmm, I say firm but very comfortable. I likey.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
g-townmach
I FARTED
 
g-townmach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: cen-tex
Posts: 874
Sounds like some better dampers and bushings is what you need. If you have the money, go with some coilovers. Everyone seems to like Pedders and they're made with fair quality. I'm still waiting for some other options to come out (Afco, QA1, LG). If i were you i would also replace as many bushings as you can. The stock rubber ones deflect badly. Urethane bushings are always a wise investment.
__________________
g-townmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Info@PeddersUSA.com
 
Info@PeddersUSA.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN View Post
My G8GT is very smooth and stable, but the SS jumps around and bounces way too much. Is pedders a viable option? I don't want a harder suspension, I just want a smoother ride, and no bounce. I've got a base suspended C6 that doesn't jump around as much as this Camaro does. Opinions please....
We have tested quite a few Camaros, including OE SSs and I have to say, I have not experienced exactly what you are chatting about. AND I have driven several of them in a particularly harsh way to get full suspension travel. Your spring rates are not that far off from your G8 to Camaro. The damper difference, however is significant. Your G8 is a low end oil based strut, whereas you Camaro is a higher ended gas strut, with decent values. But one big thing you have a disadvantage on with the Camaro is the shorter wheel base. This adds all kinds of challenges for sure. So if you feel your bouncing is related to tires leaving the ground or excess looseness, you will have to evaluate which one it is. Each of them will have potentially a different approach.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
g-townmach
I FARTED
 
g-townmach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: cen-tex
Posts: 874
Yeah the OP needs to give us a situation on when the "bouncing" comes. B/c if this is wheel-hop thats a whole different story than a floaty-feeling ride.
__________________
g-townmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
CLEAN
Driving Camaro #5
 
CLEAN's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Grand Sport/'09 G8GT/'12 SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 412
Strangely, its over a series of minor bumps, not big pot holes or anything. I'll be driving along a stretch of highway in the Camaro that i went over the previous day in the G8, and it feels like a washboard. I understand the Camaro is FIRMER, and I feel that, but that's not the issue. It's almost an unbalanced feeling like the shocks aren't matched right to the spring rates.

I don't want to lower it, nor will I track it, it will pretty much be a cruiser. I'm looking to feel more stable over the bumps, not necessarily soften the ride. Frankly, I'd be happy if it rode like the G8, so long as I don't give up the handling too much. Was looking at the adjustable coilovers, and it seems to address some ride issues, but dam $2000, not really what I was looking for in a new car. Was hoping for a shock swap, but there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket for this car in that department so far.
__________________
"Ever since we got the Camaro, everything seems better"
-My 6 year old daughter
CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Info@PeddersUSA.com
 
Info@PeddersUSA.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN View Post
Strangely, its over a series of minor bumps, not big pot holes or anything. I'll be driving along a stretch of highway in the Camaro that i went over the previous day in the G8, and it feels like a washboard. I understand the Camaro is FIRMER, and I feel that, but that's not the issue. It's almost an unbalanced feeling like the shocks aren't matched right to the spring rates.

I don't want to lower it, nor will I track it, it will pretty much be a cruiser. I'm looking to feel more stable over the bumps, not necessarily soften the ride. Frankly, I'd be happy if it rode like the G8, so long as I don't give up the handling too much. Was looking at the adjustable coilovers, and it seems to address some ride issues, but dam $2000, not really what I was looking for in a new car. Was hoping for a shock swap, but there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket for this car in that department so far.
OUr Pedders Xas re not $2k and will give you full suspension travel.

160086 Camaro eXtreme Xa Multi Adjustable Coilover Kit By Pedders with 8kg/mm Front and 10kg/mm Rear Coil Rates $1,449.99

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
CLEAN
Driving Camaro #5
 
CLEAN's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Grand Sport/'09 G8GT/'12 SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 412
+ labor
__________________
"Ever since we got the Camaro, everything seems better"
-My 6 year old daughter
CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
CBH
VETT 4 5
 
CBH's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 1SS/RS w/ Clutch
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 102
Bouncy is exactly how I would describe my stock ride as well. I don't even think it's too stiff - bouncy is the only thing that comes to mind. I'm not that technical about suspension, and have no experience changing components or settings, but it feels like too much rebound is making it bounce back after compression from the bump.

I have not driven a G8, but my old car (Infiniti G35) was a great balance of handling and comfort.

The Camaro just feels a little weird. I can't say it doesn't handle well, but it certainly does not instill any confidence.

CLEAN and I can't be the only two with this opinion........

I want to lower mine for the visual improvement, but I'm scared it'll ride worse than it does now.
CBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
g-townmach
I FARTED
 
g-townmach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: cen-tex
Posts: 874
I think alot of this is subjective. "Ride quality" i think has alot of opinion tied into it. I think my stock camaro is smooth as silk. But I'm coming from a lowered mach1 with a live axle, a lowered cobra, and a slammed lightning w/o any spring isolators. So yeah, to me, the ride is REAL good. I do however understand what you guys are talking about... and I notice a jumping over dips and bumps, but I'll take this ride over my previous ones any day.
__________________
g-townmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
V1c1ous
 
V1c1ous's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Z28 SS, 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reading, Ohio
Posts: 274
The stiff ride is payoff for extreme handling ability. It does jump a bit, but take her into a corner and feel her dig. My only issue with this set up is a little bump steer on occation, but a far as body roll,witch is what you get with the softer set ups is not a problem on these new SSs. I personaly like the feel of the stiff set up, though it is a challenge on rough roads. But remember its not a sports car, its a muscle car.
__________________
"Start brain before placing mouth in gear".
V1c1ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
CLEAN
Driving Camaro #5
 
CLEAN's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Grand Sport/'09 G8GT/'12 SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBH View Post
Bouncy is exactly how I would describe my stock ride as well. I don't even think it's too stiff - bouncy is the only thing that comes to mind. I'm not that technical about suspension, and have no experience changing components or settings, but it feels like too much rebound is making it bounce back after compression from the bump.

I have not driven a G8, but my old car (Infiniti G35) was a great balance of handling and comfort.

The Camaro just feels a little weird. I can't say it doesn't handle well, but it certainly does not instill any confidence.

.
That's it exactly, it's not too hard, it's just not planted. I have a C6 w/ the base suspension, and it handles better than the Camaro, but it doesn't jump as much as this one, which is suprising given its shorter wheelbase and lighter weight. Something is up w/ this car, it may just be "the way it is" but this is my 5th Fbody, and none of them have ridden like this. I'll be looking at shocks first when more aftermarkets become available, would rather not do a full coilover if I don't have to. Thanks for the info guys.
__________________
"Ever since we got the Camaro, everything seems better"
-My 6 year old daughter
CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FL Panhandle - Ride In to Camaro5fest Whisper Jet USA - Southeast 31 04-18-2010 03:06 PM
V6 Ride too Firm? DerbyChamp06 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 26 04-04-2009 05:51 PM
A Day to Remember: My Ride with Number 3 kdbolt70 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 61 03-14-2009 02:31 PM
Transformers: The Ride? BumbleBee 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 01-30-2008 10:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.