Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Lakotah

Drives: 2015 1LE Charcoal Grey
A few questions

I am trying to figure out what to do with the exhaust on my car. Problem is, I have no idea what I am looking at. It seems the new thing is acronyms on everything instead of typing out the word. Plus the fact that some things have more than one name. Can somebody post a picture of a system and explain to me what the parts are so I can get up to speed on an exhaust. I thought about a cat back, then axle back, muffler delete, resonator delete, X tube, H tube, etc. etc. I just don't know which part is which.

Also, what is A6 and M6. I am guessing 6 speed auto and 6 speed standard.

Somebody should post a sticky with all the acronyms that are currently being used so us new guys who aren't up to speed can get with the Lingo.
Last time I messed with performance stuff it was still a Holly 4 barrel double pump and tunnel ram as the way to go, and we didn't use acronyms. Hell for that matter, the internet was just gettin goin...LOL

Also if you have an L99, its an A6 and if you have and LS3 its an M6, the reason I am asking is because in alot of sigs, I see L99 A6 or LS3 M6. Can you have an L99 M6 or vice versa?

Thanks in advance,
Lakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
barrylnv

Drives: 2010 2SS IMB LS3/M6
Lakotah, I feel your pain. My 2010 2SS is the first performance car I have messed with since mid 90s and back then it was Holleys and cherry bombs! As for your questions, here's a link to a post that shows some L99 and LS3 exhaust systems with parts explained if you read the forum threads: www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35375.

Yes, A6 is automatic 6 speed and M6 is manual. To best of my knowledge, the engine/tranny packages cannot be mixed. LS3/M6 and L99/A6 only (unless you go V6 of course, where you can mix them).

Also, in addition to going for the gusto (Lingenfelter 650 HP package), I put Borla cat-back on mine, meaning new pipes from catalytic converters, which are located right off the manifolds, all the way to the tips (including an X-pipe and mufflers). It sounds great, but picked up no power (same story from all cat-back posts on here). I also put on Doug Thorley shorty headers. I think they may have gained a few HP but less than 10 honestly. The shorties bolt in place of the manifolds retaining the stock cats (which is the real restriction point, but a good one in my case with supercharger high boost on the 650 package).

Hope this is helpful.
ZR1 Clutch / LPE Flywheel
LPE IBM Coil Covers
Thorley Shorty Headers
Borla 140280 Cat-back
ADM Boost Gauge
MTI Shifter
Hotchkis Sway Bars
LPE Floor Mats
SRP Heel-Toe Pedals
barrylnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Hi there, welcome to the site. Here are a few answers in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotah View Post
I thought about a cat back
This exhaust system replaces all of your exhaust components (resonators, pipes, mufflers) from the catalytic converters all the way to the tail pipes. It is much freer flowing than stock, but can be pricey ,
then axle back This replaces your exhaust system from the axle area to the tailpipes. Not much power gains--this is mostly to change the sound from the stock exhaust to a more aggressive growl,
muffler delete
This is a cheap version of an axle back system. Not much in the way of power gains, but the sound is more aggressive. ,
resonator delete
Removes the stock resonators located under the center of the car. This frees up a bit of restriction and adds to a more aggressive sound,
X tube This is a form of resonator delete. The resonators are removed and an X shaped pipe is welded in it's place to balance the exhaust ,
H tube This is a form of resonator delete. The resonators are removed and an H shaped pipe is welded in it's place to balance the exhaust, etc. etc. I just don't know which part is which.

Also, what is A6 and M6. I am guessing 6 speed auto and 6 speed standard. Correct

Somebody should post a sticky with all the acronyms that are currently being used so us new guys who aren't up to speed can get with the Lingo.
Last time I messed with performance stuff it was still a Holly 4 barrel double pump and tunnel ram as the way to go, and we didn't use acronyms. Hell for that matter, the internet was just gettin goin...LOL

Also if you have an L99, its an A6 and if you have and LS3 its an M6, the reason I am asking is because in alot of sigs, I see L99 A6 or LS3 M6. Can you have an L99 M6 or vice versa? Nope, LS3/M6 or L99/A6 only. The L99 has active fuel management to disable four cylinders at cruising speeds. This is to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Lakotah

Drives: 2015 1LE Charcoal Grey
Thanks for the help guys, that explains alot.
Lakotah is offline   Reply With Quote