Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Q about Coilovers and alignment

When changing the ride height with a coilover, is an alignment necessary?

Does aligning matter on how much its dropped/raised?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
The way I do coilovers....

Once installed, I set the ride height that I feel will be used the most. I normally set them once and leave it along anyway.

That use that height when I get it aligned. If you make a small adjustment for a track day etc... then go back to normal you are fine. If you plan to make LARGE adjustments, then you can run into issues.

The other thing I do is I use adjustable dampers in my coilovers...I set the ride height, align it, and leave it!!! I use the damper adjustments to make the changes neccessary for track days or other "spirited" driving.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi Jeanius,

We always recommend to perform an alignment after adjusting the ride height on your coilover set-up. With a ride height change, both the camber and toe will change.

You can do wonders with some basic tools in your garage if you are DIY oriented. Here is a link to a fellow racer's site with a nice DIY alignment technique.

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

He does race alignments with a Lowes laser level and some tape measures.

Hope this helps!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
The way I do coilovers....

Once installed, I set the ride height that I feel will be used the most. I normally set them once and leave it along anyway.

That use that height when I get it aligned. If you make a small adjustment for a track day etc... then go back to normal you are fine. If you plan to make LARGE adjustments, then you can run into issues.

The other thing I do is I use adjustable dampers in my coilovers...I set the ride height, align it, and leave it!!! I use the damper adjustments to make the changes neccessary for track days or other "spirited" driving.
Mark, what does a set of coilovers cost and which brand do you recommend?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Mark, what does a set of coilovers cost and which brand do you recommend?
I like the KW, you could use a variant I or variant III. PM me for pricing.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote