Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
Vinyl Stripe Installation Difficulty

Has anyone put there own racing stripes on? How Hard is Installation? A graphic shop should do it right?

about 80 bucks for the labor aint too bad... I just wouldnt want them to come out off centered or not positioned correctly
Status 22" Staggered painted wheels/Eibach 1" Pro Kit Lowering Springs/Heritage Grille/Razzi Ground Effects Kit/RK Sports 3 piece Spoiler/DT Shortie Headers/Injen CAI/MRT 1.0 /Resonator Delete/Oracle Dual Red-white halos/Knight Rider grill Light/Sparks RS emblem/LED Sidemarkers/Red interior lighting/Gm fuel door/Halo Foglights/Trifecta Tune/IGGEE Seat covers/ Sinister Hood,VMAX throttle body/VMAX Black Iceolator/Technostalgia LED Taillights/3dCarbon Fender Vents/AAC Concept mirrors/zl1 bumper/AAC Plasma's/Scosche kit

WL-BMR Strut Bar/Custom rear vents
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac1granger33 View Post
Has anyone put there own racing stripes on? How Hard is Installation? A graphic shop should do it right?

about 80 bucks for the labor aint too bad... I just wouldnt want them to come out off centered or not positioned correctly
I do vinyl cutting and installation. Difficulty level is about an 8 on stripes. I would get a pro to do it, but make sure they do car graphics, not just signage. But remember to get in writing what they are willing to do if they screw it up, because it is hard for them to match GM's Vinyl if they do not know what brand and series it is, and if they screw up one side and have to replace it you may have issues. Just make sure you discuss that up front!

Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
It's not too hard if you know what you are doing. Back when I worked in a custom aftermarket shop I installed them all the time.

There are a couple different methods of install. With either, make sure you clean the surface area with a good prep solvent before starting.

I prefer the wet method on a stripe as large as on the Camaro. The key is to use lots of water with plenty of dish soap for slip. You wet the vinyl down and wet the car surface down and the soap aids in being able to slide the vinyl into perfect position. Then you squeegee the water out with a 3M hard card in a uniform direction. Lastly remove the premask.

The dry method involves using masking tape to position the stripe and then applying one side at a time and then removing the premask.

A video is worth a thousand words Of course it's not as easy as looks until you've done it a few hundred times. Stripes are fairly expensive, so if you are unsure, let a pro do it so ya don't screw up a stripe and cost yourself more money than you saved by installing yourself.

Wet Method

Dry Method

Last edited by bng804; 01-06-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixed youtube embed
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
2SSONLY

Drives: FAST!
My stripes were installed by a sign company hired by a dealership. They screwed them up royal and scratched my hood to boot. Get a pro to do it and I echo the suggestion to get a guarantee. I played hell getting a new set of stripes and no one took care of the scratches. If you want pictures and a log of my "saga" visit the thread "Stripes Installed Improperly."

Good luck!
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

that sucks! Ill have to call around for a pro and definitely get a guarantee
Status 22" Staggered painted wheels/Eibach 1" Pro Kit Lowering Springs/Heritage Grille/Razzi Ground Effects Kit/RK Sports 3 piece Spoiler/DT Shortie Headers/Injen CAI/MRT 1.0 /Resonator Delete/Oracle Dual Red-white halos/Knight Rider grill Light/Sparks RS emblem/LED Sidemarkers/Red interior lighting/Gm fuel door/Halo Foglights/Trifecta Tune/IGGEE Seat covers/ Sinister Hood,VMAX throttle body/VMAX Black Iceolator/Technostalgia LED Taillights/3dCarbon Fender Vents/AAC Concept mirrors/zl1 bumper/AAC Plasma's/Scosche kit

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
2SSONLY

Oh and I would be there when they install them if possible. Hopefully you can locate someone who has actually done it. I was the first one in my area and it was pretty obvious I was the "experiment". Instructions in the box seem pretty self-explanatory but they didn't even bother to take off my spoiler to run the stripes underneath for a continuous line.

Anyway, do your homework and ask lots of questions before you let anyone touch the car. I'm sure tons of owners on this site had successful installs....I just wasn't one of them and it took almost two months to fix the problem.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
Oh and I would be there when they install them if possible. Hopefully you can locate someone who has actually done it. I was the first one in my area and it was pretty obvious I was the "experiment". Instructions in the box seem pretty self-explanatory but they didn't even bother to take off my spoiler to run the stripes underneath for a continuous line.

Anyway, do your homework and ask lots of questions before you let anyone touch the car. I'm sure tons of owners on this site had successful installs....I just wasn't one of them and it took almost two months to fix the problem.
yup i will. Did they end up fixing yours?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
that sucks! Ill have to call around for a pro and definitely get a guarantee
Go to a local car meet and find someone with vinyl Graphics to get a local recommendation!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Go to a local car meet and find someone with vinyl Graphics to get a local recommendation!
good idea ill do that!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
2SSONLY

Quote:
yup i will. Did they end up fixing yours?
Nope. It was long and painful and in the end, I paid a body shop to paint on the stripes. I didn't mention that in addition to screwing up the stripes, they also scratched the crap out of my hood. I don't know how to post the thread link (maybe someone could help me out), but if you use the search function and type in "stripes installed improperly" it will take you to my thread. There's also a post in the thread of a video for installing the stripes which might be helpful.

The suggestion to get a graphics company is a good one. I'm in a small town with limited resources. Hopefully you have more options.

Post pics of your ride when you get it done!

Edit: Here's the page from my thread with pics of the botched job. See post 97.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...roperly&page=4

Last edited by 2SSONLY; 01-05-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
My stripes were installed by a sign company hired by a dealership<snip>
I see this so much. I worked at a shop that was about 50% dealer work. Car dealerships are a completely different world when you see them from the other side. Yeah, they are so nice when they are trying to sell you a car, but quite the opposite when you are trying to sell something to them. Most care about one simple thing - price. The cheaper they get something installed, the more they make on the markup. That's pure profit. They will nickel and dime aftermarket folks just to line their pockets. For that reason, I cringe when I see someone say "I'm going to call the dealer and see who they use". Sure call the dealer and see who they use - then check them off of your list, lol. Check around your community, car clubs, auto shows, etc, to find out who people use and have had good experiences with and go from there.
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote