Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Lifted07Sierra
 
Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: modesto, ca
Posts: 87
DI on the 3.6 but why not the 6.2?

If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?
because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,239
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Drives: nothing now
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 200
They want to save money by giving the camaro a corvette hand-me-down. When the Corvette gets the DI, expect the camaro to get the same soon. And I guess the 'vette hasn't gotten DI because they sell too well to justify investing in new engine technology. The cadillac, on the other hand, had been criticized a lot for being underpowered etc; so they needed a better engine in there. That is where the 3.6 DI came in.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Lifted07Sierra
 
Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: modesto, ca
Posts: 87
The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
I believe the Cobalt SS/TC is DI
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
asrapid
 
asrapid's Avatar
 
Drives: Stratus
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 75
There is also 1.4 l I4 with DI coming..but that probably doesn't interes you too much.
Latest rumors I've read is that Gen V (which should bring DI on LS..if that will be code for the engine) will come with corvette which is delayed couple of months again. They are talking about 2012-'13 now . Also it seems there won't be 3.x V6 with TT . It is the latest cancelation due to money problem GM is having. I just hope they don't go and decide not to invest in gen V engine.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
asrapid
 
asrapid's Avatar
 
Drives: Stratus
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way.
What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
Who says they're not?
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way.
pretty much what I stated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
The Cobalt SS turbocharged 2.0L is DI as is the Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP.
I think all new Engines GM comes out with will be DI from now on.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,093
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?
I imagine its not a simple 'bolt on', for one thing. Secondly, based on the power gains on the 3.6L, a 6.2 would be making ~500 hp. They will do it soon enough though. I am expecting that we might see a 5.7L making about 450 hp, getting something around 26 mpg or more on the highway, in the Camaro (2012 MY?). Just some guesstimations . . .
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,239
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.
I don't think there's much to the Ferrari-Chevrolet rivalry. I'm talking about the more mainstream companies. I know that there are exceptions, but I expect every Generation V motor to feature these sorts of technology while other companies will take more time to catch up to these innovations.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Who says they're not?
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).
I'm planning on getting my Camaro in summer of 2012, so even with a delay hopefully they'll get the Gen Vs out by then. If I'm really lucky, they'll also bless it by pairing it with a nice DCT.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
asrapid
 
asrapid's Avatar
 
Drives: Stratus
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't think there's much to the Ferrari-Chevrolet rivalry. I'm talking about the more mainstream companies. I know that there are exceptions, but I expect every Generation V motor to feature these sorts of technology while other companies will take more time to catch up to these innovations.
I think vette can compete against ferrari in performance.
I mention vette because it is rumor that the GEN V will be first introduce in corvette C7. So if we look at that category most of the competition will have or already have DI (R8 etc.).
If you mean Camaro and competition like mustang or challenger. Anything can happen in 4 -5 years. They can go bankrupt, get bought by company from India, develop flux capacitor etc.
Even GM have big money problems now.. I just hope they don't push gen V even further down the road.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
I think vette can compete against ferrari in performance.
I mention vette because it is rumor that the GEN V will be first introduce in corvette C7. So if we look at that category most of the competition will have or already have DI (R8 etc.).
If you mean Camaro and competition like mustang or challenger. Anything can happen in 4 -5 years. They can go bankrupt, get bought by company from India, develop flux capacitor etc.
Even GM have big money problems now.. I just hope they don't push gen V even further down the road.
Blasphomy!!! j/k
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,914
With all the new regulations for emmisions and fuel mileage coming in the next few years, many of the engine designs you see today will probably be gone.
A lot of work needs to be done to meet these new regulations. this is one thing that the Government does not realize how much it will cost the auto industry to meet. As much as they are hurting right now pushing forward on this is going to make the companies that are having a hard time now to have even a harder time. and the companies that are doing well can throw money at the problem and come up with a solution easier, thus having an even bigger advantage.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.6 DI V6 Faction check-in Scotsman Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 139 07-29-2008 02:23 PM
6.2 Vortec V8 Muscle Master General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 4 06-29-2008 09:23 AM
Test drove a Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI yesterday... wow! Jay General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 4 06-03-2008 03:48 PM
Supercharged 6.2 potential?... radz28 Forced Induction - V8 12 04-25-2008 02:40 PM
Vue gets 3.6 V6 DI engine. Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 8 03-25-2008 05:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.