Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
dr1ven

Drives: '10 CGM
Tint Film

Any recommendations? In NC we have the 35% law. I have people trying to sell me huper optik and some pushing llumar.

Thanks.

1100: 09/1/09
3800: 12/18/09
Picked Up at the Dealership: 1/4/10

dr1ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ven View Post
Any recommendations? In NC we have the 35% law. I have people trying to sell me huper optik and some pushing llumar.

Thanks.
I put Lumar on mine and it seems to be just fine. I'm not a tint expert but that's the stuff most tint places use around here. As far as tint % goes, my thinking is that this car get A LOT OF ATTENTION. Why give the police another reason to pull you over and write you two tickets instead of just the speeding one. I see you have the black interior so that will make the tint look darker anyway. Also remember that the widows are made with a tint already. Adding a 35% tint job will actually yeild a slightly lower % overall affect. I'm thinking that I saw in another thread where someone put 30% on his windows and it was measured at 27% when done.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
i got 30% on the sides and 15% on the back and i still wish i had gone slightly darker...its not as dark as the post above me is making it seem (im not one of those guys who wants crazy dark tinted windows and yet 30% wasn't dark enough for me)...go with llumar thats what i got and it comes with a life time warranty...i payed like $169.00 + tax here in texas...
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
I installed lots of different brand film on thousands of cars back when I was a window tinter. I currently have 20% 3M Color-Stable film on my Camaro.

3M is the best. After making coatings and adhesives since 1902, they've pretty much got it down. Lifetime guarantee. If you want something that will look good for a long time get 3M.

Huper Optik is making some really nice films these days. Their films are ceramic and have no dye and no metal - perfect for cars like the Camaro with integrated antennas in the back window. They've only been around since '97 but it is a very high quality film that lasts.

Llumar is better these days. Not sure I'd put it on my car though. Back in the 80's and 90's it was horrible - so bad that it wrinkled up, bubbled, and distorted within 2-3 years (sometimes less) in hot climates. Hell, those in the biz even had their own name for it - "Llumar Louvers" because it looked like you were looking through louvers when you tried to see out the distorted back window.

If you are the kind of person that keeps your car 3-5 years and then trades for a new one, any professional line window film will be fine. If you keep your car for 5+ years, pay the extra couple of bucks for 3M so you don't have to get it replaced later.
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
dr1ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bng804 View Post
Huper Optik is making some really nice films these days. Their films are ceramic and have no dye and no metal - perfect for cars like the Camaro with integrated antennas in the back window. They've only been around since '97 but it is a very high quality film that lasts.
I'm assuming that since you have 3m, there aren't any noticeable antenna issues with the back window. Correct?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Regardless of what some will say. And even though the owners manual says not to put metallic tint on the back window you can. You have a FM and AM antenna back there. It won't interfere with FM. Could possibly interfere with AM (who listens to that any more). Am I an expert, no. I know cause I did it to my 05 GTO and the owners manual said the same thing almost word for word. I've used the same tint shop for years on my vehicles and he had assured me that the only affect could possibly be AM. And I've seen him do a few Camaros. And there was no problems at all. Now they say some like ceramic are cooler inside and thats very possible I don't know. But do know from experience and seeing it done to Camaros metal tint won't mess anything up unless possibly AM (won't mess up electronics, signal or as one post said wheel sensors) So obviously when my 2SS comes in we'll be putting the same metal tint on it as my GTO had and is on the Camaros running around he did.

Last edited by Johnny1; 01-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
bng804

Quote:
I'm assuming that since you have 3m, there aren't any noticeable antenna issues with the back window. Correct?
The only films you will possibly have antenna issues with are the metallized films. I have seen problems with films like 3M Neutral that contains high abounts of sputtered nickel, where radio reception has suffered. (AM mainly, but FM to some extent) It mostly consists of a slight signal loss so if your favorite station happens to be on the fringe of reception, it may become bad enough to be unlistenable. Or, if you are traveling from city to city, you may lose a station at an earlier point because of the reduced signal strength. It's not like your radio will just quit working or anything. Most people never notice.

The particular film on my car contains no metal, so no issues. All the film manufacturers make a variety of films of different compositions. No matter what brand you choose, just be sure to tell the shop you are using that you want a vinyl dyed or ceramic film as apposed to a film that is metalized or sputtered.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
I see you are a CGM guy. here is 30% (also has black interior so it 'appears' darker). 35% law here also, but the windows have a little tint on them already. If you are wanting to stay legal, you would probably go with something like 40%. I didn't want to go into the 20's, as stated, I didn't want cops to pull me over for a stupid reason, then check me for everything else.
Attached Images

hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
dr1ven

Any thoughts on LLumar vs 3m?

I have one guy offering LLumar ATR-40 for $180 and another 3M Scotch Color Stable for $269. Both after tax and installation.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
bng804

Quote:
Any thoughts on LLumar vs 3m?

I have one guy offering LLumar ATR-40 for $180 and another 3M Scotch Color Stable for $269. Both after tax and installation.

Llumar ATR Series

High –performance metallized aluminum, which offers excellent heat rejection while being virtually invisible, combined with a Llumastar solution-dyed polyester substrate providing greater color uniformity and stability than most other films and an ultraviolet-absorbing layer altogether make Llumar ATR series an attractive addition to your vehicle.

3M™ Scotchtint™ Color-Stable Automotive Window Films

3M developed a patented technology for producing window film that incorporates a unique process not found in conventional films. Never before has anyone done this. In fact, it's so advanced that in time-based tests, 3M Scotchtint Color-Stable Auto Film held its color while most conventional dyed films rapidly changed to a purple color. High heat rejection without the interference of metals and a true low reflective factory-tinted look. No purple windows. Guaranteed! The 3M print mark is your assurance of authenticity. You know that your car features authentic 3M Scotchtint Color-Stable Auto Film when you see the 3M print mark on the window itself.

Visually, there is no comparison. The 3M is a true black non reflective film, while with the metal in the Llumar, not only do you have to worry about the radio interference, but you also end up with a film that has a moderate reflectiveness that gives the film a more shiny, silvery look and not true grey/black. The metalized Llumar does however help with heat rejection and makes it more color stable than their older, turn purple in 2 years, products.

Your first clue are the prices. The labor is the same with either film. The reason for the increased cost for 3M is that it's a more expensive, higher quality film. $269 seems a bit high, at least for my area. You might see if you can get some prices from other 3M dealers if you decide to go that route.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Unfortunately, Ohio has a 50% law on the front side windows. I want to have mine tinted, but I'm afraid 50% will not even be noticeable. I would like to go with 35% on all (except windshield), but I'm afraid I'll get a ticket. What to do...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
bng804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Unfortunately, Ohio has a 50% law on the front side windows. I want to have mine tinted, but I'm afraid 50% will not even be noticeable. I would like to go with 35% on all (except windshield), but I'm afraid I'll get a ticket. What to do...
50% is pretty light, but it's better than nothing. In Ohio it looks like you can put whatever you want on the back window. If you do 50% on the sides and 20% or even 5% on the back window it will help make the sides look darker by reducing the light in the interior. If you have black or dark interior it will also help it to look darker.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Darth_Emma

Yeah, the interior of my car will be black. I'm just debating whether I could get away with 35% all the way around.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
y2k10camaross

Drives: y2k SS, y2k10 2SS/RS
I went with the LLumar Axcess, 15%. Yes, 15% is not legal here but I've had it on my cars for years with no problems. The worse that can happen is that I have to remove it and use 35%. The LLumar Axcess is a metallic/ceramic film. My other car has 15% LLumar metallic film and both cars parked side by side the inside of the car is obviously cooler to the touch with the LLumar Axcess with no loss of signal or signal stength.
The link is below if anyone is interested.

http://www.llumar-axcess.com/index.html

Name:  DSC01005.JPG
Views: 989
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  DSC01003.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  150.4 KB
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
5% on my back window and 20% on the sides is great, but I'm changing my sides to 5% after the winter is over, I don't want to be able to see in the car at all
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
dr1ven

Quote:
Llumar ATR Series

High –performance metallized aluminum, which offers excellent heat rejection while being virtually invisible, combined with a Llumastar solution-dyed polyester substrate providing greater color uniformity and stability than most other films and an ultraviolet-absorbing layer altogether make Llumar ATR series an attractive addition to your vehicle.

3M™ Scotchtint™ Color-Stable Automotive Window Films

3M developed a patented technology for producing window film that incorporates a unique process not found in conventional films. Never before has anyone done this. In fact, it's so advanced that in time-based tests, 3M Scotchtint Color-Stable Auto Film held its color while most conventional dyed films rapidly changed to a purple color. High heat rejection without the interference of metals and a true low reflective factory-tinted look. No purple windows. Guaranteed! The 3M print mark is your assurance of authenticity. You know that your car features authentic 3M Scotchtint Color-Stable Auto Film when you see the 3M print mark on the window itself.

Visually, there is no comparison. The 3M is a true black non reflective film, while with the metal in the Llumar, not only do you have to worry about the radio interference, but you also end up with a film that has a moderate reflectiveness that gives the film a more shiny, silvery look and not true grey/black. The metalized Llumar does however help with heat rejection and makes it more color stable than their older, turn purple in 2 years, products.

Your first clue are the prices. The labor is the same with either film. The reason for the increased cost for 3M is that it's a more expensive, higher quality film. $269 seems a bit high, at least for my area. You might see if you can get some prices from other 3M dealers if you decide to go that route.
Thanks. How about Formula1 vs SunTek vs 3m? $269 for each. All are carbon based.

Last edited by dr1ven; 01-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
bng804

Quote:
Thanks. How about Formula1 vs SunTek vs 3m? $269 for each. All are carbon based.
Suntek Carbon is a nice entry level film. I know some shops that use it as their "cheap" film. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $269 for it though.

Llumar's Formula 1 is their best film IMO. Best look, and probably the longest lasting. Lifetime guarantee. It's probably the only Llumar film that I would consider putting on one of my cars. However, I'm biased against Llumar products. I spent WAY too many hours sitting in the back of hot cars peeling failed film off of windows. Not fun.

You know how I feel about 3M. At the same price point, I'll take 3M for sure. If you could save some dollars on Formula 1, I might say go for it.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
dr1ven

Quote:
Suntek Carbon is a nice entry level film. I know some shops that use it as their "cheap" film. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $269 for it though.

Llumar's Formula 1 is their best film IMO. Best look, and probably the longest lasting. Lifetime guarantee. It's probably the only Llumar film that I would consider putting on one of my cars. However, I'm biased against Llumar products. I spent WAY too many hours sitting in the back of hot cars peeling failed film off of windows. Not fun.

You know how I feel about 3M. At the same price point, I'll take 3M for sure. If you could save some dollars on Formula 1, I might say go for it.
Thanks a lot. I have an appt with our 3m dealer set for tomorrow morning.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Bear2SS

Drives: Black 2SS LS3
I'm in Charlotte and have a black 2ss with CGM stripe. Curious to know what % you ultimately decide to go with, and would like to see pics. If it's lower than 32% including the factory tint won't it fail inspection? I don't understand how some people can not be "legal" and still pass inspection, or do some states not require annual inspections?
Bear2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
cgmSS24

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Thanks a lot. I have an appt with our 3m dealer set for tomorrow morning.
Hey, I'm in Raleigh as well and have been starting the same search for Tint. Please post some pictures when your car is done!

And if you don't mind sharing the shop doing the work, I'd appreciate it. . .
cgmSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2SS View Post
I'm in Charlotte and have a black 2ss with CGM stripe. Curious to know what % you ultimately decide to go with, and would like to see pics. If it's lower than 32% including the factory tint won't it fail inspection? I don't understand how some people can not be "legal" and still pass inspection, or do some states not require annual inspections?
Arkansas doesn't have anual inspections anymore. The cops will pull you over if they think your tint is too dark and test it. I have friends that are running 15% or less all the way around and never have any problems while others have been tagged within a month of getting theirs done. It's a crap shoot. Mine is tinted to the state minium, not counting the factory tinted windows. I believe it's 20% on the rears and 30% on the fronts. I couldn't imagine putting much darker than 20% on the back. It's hard enough to see out of those port holes with nothing on them.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
dr1ven

I'll post pics. in a week after it dries. Looks good so far.

I think the tint is 45%. The window already has some tint from the factory so they had to go a little lighter in order for the tint+window to pass inspection. I have a black int, so everything looks nice.

bear-
SC doesnt have inspections.

cgm-
I went with raleighwindowtinting

Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Yeah, the interior of my car will be black. I'm just debating whether I could get away with 35% all the way around.
I've been driving cars in Ohio with 35% tint for 10 years now, and I've never once had any issue what so ever with the police. Never. Just FYI...
Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #24
GSmithPharmD08
NucleaRPh

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
5% on my back window and 20% on the sides is great, but I'm changing my sides to 5% after the winter is over, I don't want to be able to see in the car at all
+1

That is what I have on mine... I still wince every time I go by a cop and pray that I don't get pulled over... It's 35% here in MD... Pics are here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882

I had the Llumar tint put on with the lifetime warranty... I believe it was the Fromula 1 stuff... I love it

Ordered 8/21/09 @ Apple Chevrolet in York, PA

Rally Stripes @ Ourisman Chevrolet in Rockville, MD

1100 = Preliminary Order Placed by Dealer: 8/21/09
2000 = Accepted By GM: 11/3/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control TPW: 11/6/09 (TPW = 11/23)
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 11/10/09
3400 = Broadcast: 11/18/09
3800 = Produced: 11/27/09 VIN 2G1FT1EWXA9171634
4200 = Shipped: 11/27/09
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 12/9/09
6000 = MINE!!!: 12/10/09
Took me 111 days!
GSmithPharmD08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
I've been driving cars in Ohio with 35% tint for 10 years now, and I've never once had any issue what so ever with the police. Never. Just FYI...
Thanks for that info. Good to know. If I do get stopped for it, is it hard to have it removed and redone? I'm one of those "by the book" people, but maybe I will be a bit of a rebel here and go with 35%! (I'm so brave.)