Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Is it worth more money to sell Camaro that has never seen rain or snow?

I live in northern Ohio and I have been really anal about taking my Camaro (SS/RS w/ 2SS package) out in the rain or snow. I'm trying to keep my car as close to new condition as possible, but I am also concerned about the resale value of my car because I will likely buy a newer model Camaro in the future.

Do you guys think there is any tangible value when selling a used car/Camaro that has never seen rain or snow? Or is the inherent value of a vehicle that hasn't seen rain or snow simply by how it effects the condition of the car?

If its only the actual condition of the car that effects the value, do you think that a car that has never seen rain or snow can actually be in better condition than say a car that sat outside it's whole life? My thinking is that by not allowing the under carriage of the car to get wet, and keeping it garaged will keep the bottom of the car in great shape. How many of you have ever been influenced by the condition of the under carriage? I don't recall ever looking at the under side of a used car, let alone let it effect my decision to buy it or not.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
It's always a nice selling point when selling private party to say "no winters".

As far as a trade-in goes I don't think it matters.

All in all, if you keep the salt off it I don't think it really matters. Personally I don't drive mine in the winter because I don't feel like buying a new set of tires and I don't want to deal with the headache of something possibly happening to it. You always have to worry about other drivers, accidents, the winter nasty stuff, etc.

Last edited by tommygun6644; 01-06-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typos
tommygun6644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
I don't really care if it has never seen rain. But snow is an entirely different story. If I was buying a used camaro, that would definitely be something that I want to hear about the car.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
fastal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2000 Z28
In the short term of 5-10 years I don't see any difference between a well cared for car that is a daily driver and one that has never seen rain/snow. Most people are not even going to care that you state it hasn't seen rain/snow, because just how can you prove it? Longer term you might begin to see some differences.

Until the car becomes a classic pretty much no one will look closely at the under-carriage. I'm sure a few people here will say they do, but this site isn't a valid sample of the buying public.
fastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
snow and rain are both water.

The car gets doused by GM to make sure it doesnt leak in the first place. Dont wash the car ever because its the same thing as rain.

I can understand the salt thing with snow, but typically never seen rain or snow is about the same as adult driven.....i.e. been driven every winter in rain and snow and car was thrashed. I dont buy from people that post that up, because its stupid and I usually dont believe them.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
As far as I'm concerned, a car is that housed by the ocean see more damage than the snow belt people. These car are always exposed to salt. It all depends on the owner and how he/she takes care of the car. I can't say I would pay more for a car that was stated to never seen the winter, its nice but doesn't factor into any blue book I have ever seem.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
bmac

Drives: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post

How many of you have ever been influenced by the condition of the under carriage? I don't recall ever looking at the under side of a used car, let alone let it effect my decision to buy it or not.

Russ
When I was looking for a used car for my son, I had each one inspected by a trusted mechanic. There were at least three that we passed on due to extensive frame rust. Not surprisingly, these rust buckets were all from the northern US.

I remember growing up that my dad always had his new cars "undercoated" as soon as he bought one. Being from PA and putting many miles on each car while working as a traveling salesman, he probably replaced cars due to excessive mileage long before he would have any problems from rust. I seem to recall that one of the benefits of undercoating to him (in addition to rust prevention) was reduction in road noise.

Having lived most of my life in the south, I can't think of the last time I've heard anyone mention undercoating a vehicle. Is it still done up north?
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
how does one prove it?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
wullger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think they apply some sort of undercoating to the vehicles from the factory, now.
3800: 7/28/09 #30334!! 4B00: 7/30/09
4200: 8/5/09
6000: DELIVERED! 8/18/09

wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Even if it were true it would be hard to prove if not impossible and I am pretty sure no one would believe it either.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
coolman

The only thing that makes a diff is the condition. If a car is taken good care of it can be in snow and rain and still look as good a one that never saw it. What makes cars that don't see rain and snow worth more I think, is the fact that they usually have less stone chips and scratches because they don't get as many miles on them which is another factor of the
value.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Rain is a different story in my opinion since you can take your Camaro out on a sunny day and it begins to rain. However you make the decision to drive your Camaro in the winter months.

That said, driving your car in your winter isn't inherently bad. It's the fact that you open yourself up to more risks than you would in the summer months in terms of the car's youthful appearance and overall risk to accidents.

Someone may be turned off by buying a car that wasn't stored in the winter because someone who drove it in the winter may not have taken all that great of care of it. May not be true, but that is the message that is conveyed compared to someone who stored it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
I'm picky, but...

there IS absolutely a difference. A car or motorcycle that has never seen rain or only gotten "caught" on a few rare occasions and promptly cleaned up will undoubtedly have a nicer, cleaner undercarriage. The are a ton of fasteners and shields and other items that recieve little or no corrosion protective coatings during manufacture. Less exposure to moisture and salt = less corrosion or none. Would I look? Absolutely. Would it swing my vote vs. another car with all other variables being equal? Yes.

Think about it. If you are shopping for a classic and one is cheesy underneath and another is rock solid, which do you want? How do you think one sirvived that way vs. the other?

How much one would pay for a premium for the dry car and how many years would you have to baby it to see the pay-off? Who knows. I would flip an extra $500 easy for a clean car. Is $500 worth it to you to never drive yours in the rain???

Up to you, but there are people that look and care.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
there IS absolutely a difference. A car or motorcycle that has never seen rain or only gotten "caught" on a few rare occasions and promptly cleaned up will undoubtedly have a nicer, cleaner undercarriage. The are a ton of fasteners and shields and other items that recieve little or no corrosion protective coatings during manufacture. Less exposure to moisture and salt = less corrosion or none. Would I look? Absolutely. Would it swing my vote vs. another car with all other variables being equal? Yes.

Think about it. If you are shopping for a classic and one is cheesy underneath and another is rock solid, which do you want? How do you think one sirvived that way vs. the other?

How much one would pay for a premium for the dry car and how many years would you have to baby it to see the pay-off? Who knows. I would flip an extra $500 easy for a clean car. Is $500 worth it to you to never drive yours in the rain???

Up to you, but there are people that look and care.
But,like I said" IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT" the under side will look just as good.
I never put my hot rods away dirty. I've already come home very late at night and got stuck in the rain and washed my car before going to bed. I do agree with you though, if you drive it as an everyday car in snow and salt it will look pretty bad underneath. I guess It also depends on how much you drive it in these conditions. I don't drive mine in the snow because I don't have to.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Bryan2230

Drives: 2014 Red Hot Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm pretty sure it helps... When I was selling my 94 over the summer last year, one of the most popular questions asked by everyone that came to look at it was "have you driven it in the snow?"

Former owner of a 2010 Victory Red 2LT/RS
Delivered: September 11, 2009
Current owner of a 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
Delivered: October 24, 2013
Bryan2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I would definitely rather buy a car that has never seen rain or snow.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
If they salt the roads in your area during the winter, it will make a difference I think if you can show no major corrosion to the under carriage. In a milder climate, driving the car in the rain and taking care of it will make little difference to resale value. I base this on the fact that I've bought used Corvettes before that were pristine, low mileage garage queens that never saw a drop of rain and it made very little difference to resale value. I say drive 'em if you can, why save it for someone else. These things aren't collectors cars and probably never will be. Only time will tell.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 14 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, AudiQ53.0T
This guy would like to have a word with you about undercoating...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Mjollner

Drives: NA
A lot of people say they were never driven in the snow, but I always check. Most modern car frames have little nooks and crannies all over the place that catch small pebbles as well as rock salt. It’s not a full proof method of course, but I’ve found rock salt in about half the cars people claim have never been driven in the winter. Having not been driven in the winter is nice and I would maybe pay a little more for such a car, but not thousands more or something like that. As for rain I really could care less. Here in Michigan at least the humidity during the summer will cause pretty much anything metal to “Sweat”. So unless your parking it in a temperature and humidity controlled environment it likely won’t make much difference.
Mjollner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
My wife drives a Yukon Denali XL that has always been garaged since it was new. The exterior of the truck is in excellent condition but the under side is shockingly corroded. When we had the brakes done last year I walked under the truck when it was on the lift and I could not believe how bad the corrosion was. I asked the mechanic if this was normal on all vehicles and he said yes if they were driven in the winter.

That was the basis of my decision to not drive my Camaro when it was raining, and never drive it in the winter unless the roads were bone dry. But even when the roads are bone dry in the winter you get that salt dust that looks like dirt dust. If there is no moisture for the salt dust to stick to I'm assuming it will not cause any corrosion....but then I wonder if that is really true?

Some good conversation on this post supporting both sides of the question. I can't say that my mind is made up yet whether never driving a car in rain or snow/winter will effect the value. I guess it's specific to the potential buyer more than anything else. True there is no way to prove the car was not driven in rain but there has to be some evidence as some of you have pointed out. I guess you just have to know what to look for if you are that motivated to find out for sure.

One thing for sure, I've determined from the conversation of this post that I will most definitely start checking out the under side of any vehicle I am interested in buying.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #21
songsj

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
I would much rather buy a used car that has been driven sensibly and well taken care of than a spotless car that has had the shit kicked out of it. Most [not all] women drive these high performance cars easier than guys so a middle aged female driver is usually a plus to me.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I would much rather buy a used car that has been driven sensibly and well taken care of than a spotless car that has had the shit kicked out of it. Most [not all] women drive these high performance cars easier than guys so a middle aged female driver is usually a plus to me.
Amen to you brother. I will not buy a used car from anyone under thirty. I also would rather have a used car that was driven by a woman. I was once a young man and I remember the abuse that I piled onto my vehicles. full throttle power shifts at the drag strip etc. As far as "never driven in snow or rain" goes, how would you prove it? My winter machine is a used Buick. I bought a Buick because they are old people's cars and older people tend to take better care of their vehicles and generally get them serviced at the dealership.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #23
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
I guess it depend on how long that you are going to keep the car. If you are only keeping it 3 years or so, drive it. Just wash it once a week and wax 3 times a year and you will be fine.

If you plan on keeping it a long time, then don't drive it in the winter. Period.

The rain won't affect it much in the summer time.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
how does one prove it?

2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
It depends on when you plan to sell it within the next 1-3 years NO. Plus how much are you looking for it IMHO I mean no snow or rain if all fine but if you plan to ask close to MSRP IMHO I would rather just go buy a new one rather that a 2-3 year old car with 1500 miles that is 1-2k under MSRP. If you plan to keep it say 10-15 years or unless GM ends production of the Camaro then it will be worth something.

Look at 4th Gen Camaros right now cars with very low miles are not brining in the $$$ people expected. IMHO drive the car and enjoy it.

Sean