Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Whats the deal with exhaust cutouts?

Does anybody like these things, makes the car sound mean as hell but do they take away, remain the same or ad power?

This is something i will be interested in for sure on the SS. Cruise with the girlfriend, leave the cutouts closed, some fool wants to race, open the cutouts.....instant bad ass noise. You cant go wrong, this is so cooool.

Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I would think you'd lose some back pressure and therefore some torque, but your engine breathes more and you can push more air/exhaust through the engine itself making it better for top end.

Just my speculation, and I have no idea if I'm even making sense, so don't quote me. Cut outs are awesome all around imo, the vette has them on the mufflers. Soon as you get past a certain throttle, they open up to really let the exhaust note out. That's why it idles and drives normally pretty quiet.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Wow the vette has auto cutouts after a certain RPM!? That is really awesome, why didnt i know about this?!

Wouldnt mind having a system like that on the SS. Would it be possible?
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
I'm getting that for my LT. Now that will send little Beemers running.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i have already talked to my local exhaust shop about getting electric cutouts installed when they do my full 3" exhaust and flowmaster mufflers with hiflow cats. i cant wait. living in rural washington state means i will never get smog checked

Last edited by headpunter; 08-13-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: v
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Just make sure you get electric cutouts so you can open them at high RPM.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The 'Vettes have a system where butterfly valves open after like ~ 3500 RPMs at WOT, or something along those lines. I think I remember reading the valves are vacuum operated, and many owners with this option remove the fuse for them, and run open all the time. I don't think, however, they completely bypass the mufflers. I know they sound better, and add a few more horses, but I don't think they are as beneficial as true cutouts. Obviously, this wouldn't pass sound certification testing, so their systems make complete sense given those circumstances.

There was a GMHTP buildup on an LS1 WS6 (that was eventually bored and stroked to 383 ci) wherein they swapped the OEM manifolds, SLP Y-pipe, and B&B catback with Dynatech LTs, QTP QTEC, and Borla CB. After tuning, they ran N20 runs with the cutout opened and closed and only gained ~ 8 RWHP, but something like ~ 30 RWTQ! That was around 430 RWHP though, so those gains will likely be higher than on a stock SS with manifolds.

I can tell you that I can't tell too big a difference in power with my QTEC. The sound is obviously different, but it feels like there is a little more torque on the bottom end with it closed, but I can't really tell what differences there are up top. I have a pretty loose converter (for a street car) so it soaks up a lot of feeling, but I know it can't hurt.

I'm sure I'll end up adding a pair, around the rear axle or something. I'm not a fan of drone, however, it's not like I'll be running around with them open all the time. I'm just going to have to see...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Another thing to consider is that the farther the restriction is from the exhaust port, the lesser effect it will have on power, so a cutout that is far downstream is not going to benefit power as much as it will make more noise.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Another thing to consider is that the farther the restriction is from the exhaust port, the lesser effect it will have on power, so a cutout that is far downstream is not going to benefit power as much as it will make more noise.
Yea, thats why most people mount theirs rigt after the downpipes. Flip of a switch and open headers.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Yea, thats why most people mount theirs rigt after the downpipes. Flip of a switch and open headers.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

But would having them right at the down pipe still provide the same sound as having them say at the rear axle?

Quote:

Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Twitch
Hook em' Horns

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
But would having them right at the down pipe still provide the same sound as having them say at the rear axle?
no, it would be much deeper and louder, not cats, resenator or mufflers to go through, that is the whole point of cutouts any way
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

I think it would be louder and probably be more of a nuisance than anything inside the car itself. If you like you exhaust loud, have at it, but I think a lot of cutouts do leak a little... This may cause a problem with the 02s and tuning too if they are too close.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

I'm Pretty sure I'll out mine just at the begining of the axle back, right befor the mufflers

Quote:

Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
I'm Pretty sure I'll out mine just at the begining of the axle back, right befor the mufflers
That's cool, I just wanted to point out that you would get the most power at the end of the downpipe. Since they're only open during hard driving (i.e. racing) they're not too bad a nuisance during normal cruising.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
all I know is I dropped the ORY and catback off and gained. . .so I think they'd help.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
That's cool, I just wanted to point out that you would get the most power at the end of the downpipe. Since they're only open during hard driving (i.e. racing) they're not too bad a nuisance during normal cruising.
I just dont care much for the high end aspect of the cut outs. Just want something to scare away all the little Imports and Beemers at the red lights. . But maybe later I'll add another pair for high end thats linked to the RPM levels. But for the ones out back Im thinkin a simple switch.

Quote:

Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
Cutouts will indeed be one of my first mods. I'm not really looking to gain power really because 415 will be plenty for me(I say this now but I will probably want more in the future). I'm sure it will give a few hp and tq but I want that occasional roaring to scare people away. I know I'm real nice.

Oh and another cool cutout vid.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That used to be called "dumps". Hotrodders have been doing it for years. I got a ticket for non factory exhaust on my 69. You guys that have annual inspections may want to make sure it'll pass with them. AND eventually they're going to start leaking. (They're a PITA)

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #20
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
That used to be called "dumps". Hotrodders have been doing it for years. I got a ticket for non factory exhaust on my 69. You guys that have annual inspections may want to make sure it'll pass with them. AND eventually they're going to start leaking. (They're a PITA)
what's an inspection? I'm from TN we don't have anything called inspections. . .lol. thank god I'm not from NC or an NC state resident. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #21
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
There was a GMHTP buildup on an LS1 WS6 (that was eventually bored and stroked to 383 ci) wherein they swapped the OEM manifolds, SLP Y-pipe, and B&B catback with Dynatech LTs, QTP QTEC, and Borla CB. After tuning, they ran N20 runs with the cutout opened and closed and only gained ~ 8 RWHP, but something like ~ 30 RWTQ! That was around 430 RWHP though, so those gains will likely be higher than on a stock SS with manifolds.

Okay to explain something here, the reason there is an increase of only 8 rwhp while adding 30 lb/ft rwtq is in how the drive train works. What the gear reductions of the transmission and rear end accomplish is an increase in torque at the rear wheels. To move a car from a dead stop requires thousands of lb/ft of torque (for example based on the tranny and final drive of the ss you should get about 4000lb/ft of rear wheel torque. Some custom rockcrawler 4X4s are so low geared they get up to 30000lb/ft of rear wheel torque). So the larger torque number is due to the effect of gearing making a small difference a bigger difference at the rear wheels making an additional 30lb/ft of tourque inconsequential. That's why horse power was developed in the first place it accurately measures a comparable number as the gear ratios can increase or decrease torque. Even in sixth gear the new camaro will put out about 800lb/ft torque at the rears. So the moral of the story is don't fall for companies bragging about an increase in rear wheel torque that's why we use horse power.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

^ random much?

Quote:

Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #23
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
ill take your word for it. bottom line they just sound bad ass
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

^ damn straight

Quote:

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
I've never been a fan of cutouts... If I want that open throat sound, I'll go with glass packs... Not exactly the same, but I think they sound better.
- Xanthos