Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
2k10ss4me

Drives: Summit White 1SS
ordering from one dealer and servicing at another

I'm curious if I buy a new car from one dealer in town (due to best price), but due to convenience I have my car serviced at another dealer in town (due to location), does the servicing dealer look down upon me because I did not buy the car from them. I understand that they are still getting my servicing dollars, and so they probably don't care, but if I buy the car and service the car from the same dealer do I get viewed as some sort of "preferred" customer? Also, if it comes down to it, and both dealers have the same price, is it feasible to try and work in some sort of discounted services (ie. oil changes or something like that) at a reduced rate?
2k10ss4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Blade

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I bought my TSX in Philly and moved to Charlotte 4 months later. I have never heard or felt any weird vibes from the guys at Hendrick Acura. I have always treated them with respect and given them as much info a I can, on the car if I have issues. I don't think any service centers care where you buy the car anymore, as long as you don't act like a jackass when you come to them to get stuff fixed.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
no, they don't care, they are just glad that you are bringing your car there now. AND a lot of us requested the dealer NOT to put the sticker or dealer name plate on the back of our cars.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
The dealer gets good money from GM for service on your vehicle for warranty jobs so they don't care where you got it from, just that you bring it to them for any service you need.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
This can be a difficult situation. I agree that if you move from one area or state to another it can't be helped. And as with everything there are good dealers and bad dealers. I bought my Camaro at one dealer and now much prefer the service at another, and would never darken the door of the dealer just around the corner from me because of their track record. It can be tough to go to another dealer for service because of the politics aspect, they know you didn't buy there and probably won't in the future, and you the customer have no way to hold their feet to the flames because you didn't buy from them. It all boils down to find your self a reputable dealer!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Onereign
Detailing Addict

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
My Uncle was the garage supervisor for a local Ford dealership for many years and told me that while it's not allowable by the manufacturer, the dealers would preference warranty work to customers who bought there first (even if your car was in line before).
Onereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Bought mine 300 miles from where I live. I get it serviced somewhere else. In fact, not even at the closest dealership, just one i like
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Some do, some don't.

We would LOVE IT if buyers from other dealers would bring their cars here for service....we get paid for the warranty work, which allows our mechanics to buy food for their families....it works out pretty good!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Blade

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Yea....like Scotty and Dave Coyle said, they get paid decent money for performing warranty work.

Going back to my scenario, I am actually not keeping my TSX and moving to Camaro. But since its a lease, my cousin is buyin it out, so Hendrick Acura is actually willing to do that for me, where my cousin can give me the check to buy out the car and then I just sell the car to my cousin for a Buck. The dealership is willing to do this for me at no extra cost or markup, so the car stays off the lot

I have been goin to them since July 2007, so yea I have a relationship built there, they are dissapointed I am leaving Acura, but they understand
Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Onereign
Detailing Addict

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
Will they gladly do your warranty work? Sure. Will they put you on low priority if you didn't buy from them and they're busy? Some will. Depends on the dealer.
Onereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
We take better care of our customers that also buy from us, (heavy truck dealer). We will do extra things like submit stuff for warranty when they really aren't, (customer scratched his own panel). We will get sneak him for service work when we are busy, give out hats, and shirts. There is definitely a higher notch of customer service to someone who also bought from us. And why shouldn't there be? You get two guys coming in for warranty work, one guy bought his vehicle somewhere else hasn't spent a penny yet where as the other guy who did buy his vehicle from you already has spent big $$$ at your shop! Forget the attitude that you should be word-shipped because you are giving a shop warranty work! Dealers really don't make much on warranty!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Some do, some don't.

We would LOVE IT if buyers from other dealers would bring their cars here for service....we get paid for the warranty work, which allows our mechanics to buy food for their families....it works out pretty good!
Good dealers never mind this as they seem to be the ones getting the service work. Also it is good PR when the person is ready to buy their next car.

I take my Camaro to a Caddie dealership because I like there service department better than the Chevy dealer in my town. They don't seem to mind.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
linton23

Drives: 1996 Honda ACE
Warranty rate in our shop is $32.50. We have told some people to look in the manual it does say GM recommends you return to your selling dealer for non emergency service. What some people dont understand is a shops warranty budget is set by GM based on sales. So some dealers do like to burn the budget with people who buy from them. We do the work for the most part but if a customer comes in with a Camaro and its just like one we have or they did not even call us to get a quote we might tell them to drive it back.
linton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Bought my G8 at a Pontiac dealership 8 miles away...I change my oil at a Chevy dealership 3 miles away...I do the warranty work at a Chevy/former Pontiac dealership 5 miles away...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
If you purchase at a dealer and do the service there, you will find that the dealer will be more willing to work with you if you come across an issue not covered by warranty. They can even do what's called a goodwill. Most dealerships have a CRM system that tracks purchases and services performed. From personal stand point, if one of my customer's who purchases his cars here and we see that he is doing most of his services here, I will do best to make sure that customer stays happy, will pick them up, drop them off, cover an oil change every now and then, whatever it takes. Now if it is a customer who doesn't buy with us, doesnt do any services with us but warranty, and say his window regulator goes out on him at 37,000 miles, then why should a dealership go out of way to help them?
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote