Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Curb weight?

Anyone else notice that the Ford website for the 2009 Mustang lists every spec except the weight? Where are the Mustang people getting this 3400 lb figure?
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
kanys

 
kanys's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 880
Not really sure, maybe the combo of a smaller engine than Camaro and.... . Maybe they are using some lighter parts, or maybe they have really stripped down the base model to cut some weight. Or possibly they used a different material for frame/chassis (which could make it less safe). Have they announced a price yet, cause maybe they put in some real light parts (carbon fiber?) that would jack up the price.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
MajorTom
 
MajorTom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 307
I've read lots of info that puts the weight of the Mustang between 3400 and 3550 pounds. I believe it. The engine isn't that much smaller than a small block. Displacement doesn't equal smaller size. At my shop, I'm looking at a 5.4 liter dohc modular engine and it's a monster compared to a small block. Push-rod motors have the edge when it comes to packaging.


The Mustang is supposed to weigh about 3450 pounds. 3550 for a convertible (again, just what I've read). And contrary to popular belief, a solid axle setup is lighter than independent suspension. And they have 5-speed manuals. I know the 03-04 Cobras with dohc 4.6 liter iron block engines and 6 speed manuals and less safety features than a new Camaro were about 3700 lbs. They had IRS too.

Something to consider...

Edit: It just occurred to me that when I see the curb weights for the 05+ mustangs, it always lists 3450 as the lowest weight. I would imagine that 3450 is for the V6 model. The Camaro's curb weight is listed at 3725 (in all the mags) for the V6 model. The Mustang guys just use that as their one argument against the faster cars. Trust me, being a GTO guy I've heard a lot of talk about how much we outweigh them. But all we had to say was "We're still faster"
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I've read lots of info that puts the weight of the Mustang between 3400 and 3550 pounds. I believe it. The engine isn't that much smaller than a small block. Displacement doesn't equal smaller size. At my shop, I'm looking at a 5.4 liter dohc modular engine and it's a monster compared to a small block. Push-rod motors have the edge when it comes to packaging.


The Mustang is supposed to weigh about 3450 pounds. 3550 for a convertible (again, just what I've read). And contrary to popular belief, a solid axle setup is lighter than independent suspension. And they have 5-speed manuals. I know the 03-04 Cobras with dohc 4.6 liter iron block engines and 6 speed manuals and less safety features than a new Camaro were about 3700 lbs. They had IRS too.

Something to consider...

Edit: It just occurred to me that when I see the curb weights for the 05+ mustangs, it always lists 3450 as the lowest weight. I would imagine that 3450 is for the V6 model. The Camaro's curb weight is listed at 3725 (in all the mags) for the V6 model. The Mustang guys just use that as their one argument against the faster cars. Trust me, being a GTO guy I've heard a lot of talk about how much we outweigh them. But all we had to say was "We're still faster"
I just figured the Mustang guys knew what they were talking about when they said 3400 lbs. I started going to the websites and comparing numbers, but Ford was the only one that didn't list the weight. Who knows, maybe the 2009 Mustang does weigh about the same as the Camaro, or maybe even the Challenger.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
the 3450lb curb weight for the Mustang is the V6 car... most of the GT models that I've seen at the track weighed in at 3600lbs... the one GT500 I've seen on the scale weighed in at 3800lbs with almost a full tank of gas and a driver... most of the GTs dont want to weigh in with a driver.

my pewter '02 Z28 weighed in at 3680lbs with me, 3/4 tank of gas, my big 19" CCWs and the Moser 12bolt... just for comparison purposes.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
the 3450lb curb weight for the Mustang is the V6 car... most of the GT models that I've seen at the track weighed in at 3600lbs... the one GT500 I've seen on the scale weighed in at 3800lbs with almost a full tank of gas and a driver... most of the GTs dont want to weigh in with a driver.

my pewter '02 Z28 weighed in at 3680lbs with me, 3/4 tank of gas, my big 19" CCWs and the Moser 12bolt... just for comparison purposes.
Shoot, that must be nice. My car, without me, at full street weight (heavy-@zz 17s front and rear), weighed in at 3625, without me... I have added a Spohn Adj. TA with crossmember (which must weigh twice as much as the OEM TA) and SLP SFCs, which have to weigh about 50 lbs. too, so I've added a good amount of weight too. But I digress...

I bet the Mustang will get heavier. Crash regulations and such will probably make up most of that difference, I think.

I'm with you on the IRS weighing more, but at least, IMHO, it's for good reason, in an appropriate part of the car (i.e. nice and low, over the rear tires.) From what was posted in another thread, maybe this rear end will be better off than the glass-jawed 10-bolt a lot of people have broken. I'm encouraged to read statements from GM about how they are engineering and designing for aggressive driving and racing. I'm encouraged the weight we've picked-up will make for a far better car
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
kevin2323


 
Drives: challenger
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: miami
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
the 3450lb curb weight for the Mustang is the V6 car... most of the GT models that I've seen at the track weighed in at 3600lbs... the one GT500 I've seen on the scale weighed in at 3800lbs with almost a full tank of gas and a driver... most of the GTs dont want to weigh in with a driver.

my pewter '02 Z28 weighed in at 3680lbs with me, 3/4 tank of gas, my big 19" CCWs and the Moser 12bolt... just for comparison purposes.
I think the gt500's curb weight is 3900.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Ok then...the Mustang guys are just blowing smoke then when they try to play the 3400lb card. I also noticed the 2009 Mustang doesn't have full side curtain air bags either, so naturally the Camaro is going to weigh more because it has more safety gear included.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Shoot, that must be nice. My car, without me, at full street weight (heavy-@zz 17s front and rear), weighed in at 3625, without me... I have added a Spohn Adj. TA with crossmember (which must weigh twice as much as the OEM TA) and SLP SFCs, which have to weigh about 50 lbs. too, so I've added a good amount of weight too. But I digress...

I bet the Mustang will get heavier. Crash regulations and such will probably make up most of that difference, I think.
your car is an auto, isn't it? that adds alot of weight... our SS is proof of that.

also, I have alot of weight savings that have gone on... boxed LCAs, jack and spare removed, tubular torque arm, etc... so my car does have some extra weight in there, but alot has been taken out, too.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
gunslinger
 
Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
From what was posted in another thread, maybe this rear end will be better off than the glass-jawed 10-bolt a lot of people have broken.
Don't get your hopes up...

A respected member on GMinsidenews.com stated that the IRS design in the Camaro is not a strong as we had hoped and the fact that it is not an American Axle design limits that amount of aftermarket strength upgrades that will be available...at least in the beginning.

Also the fact that GM has such strong powerplants will put the new IRS at a slight disadvantage to a beefy solid axle design.

To me though, the advantages of the IRS far outweigh in weaknesses and I am glad that GM made the decision to finally put an IRS in the Camaro.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!
 
skipj3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 877
Edmunds reports the mustang V6 Curb Weight: 3352 lbs and GT500 Curb Weight: 3920
__________________
Oscar Wilde - “When I was young, I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know it is."

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #12
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
Edmunds reports the mustang V6 Curb Weight: 3352 lbs and GT500 Curb Weight: 3920
2008 or 2009?
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
 
JEFF2010SSMANUAL's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,953
3500# Mustang GT with a 350# driver = 3850# 300HP

3850# Camaro SS with a 170# driver = 4020# 422HP
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!
 
skipj3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
2008 or 2009?
2009
__________________
Oscar Wilde - “When I was young, I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know it is."

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
MajorTom
 
MajorTom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 307
Yeah, I've heard the GT500s are rated at 3900 pounds. Add a driver and you're over 2 tons. But to be fair, a lot of suspension enhancements and a larger engine with an iron block instead of an aluminum one will do that.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon
 
greenrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,396
I have to chime in here. This whole endless saga of people complaining about weight is getting a bit tiresome.

Wait until you drive the car. Consider the requirements under which it has been built. This isn't 1967, 1970,1982, 1993 , or even 2002.

The world has changed. If you feel the car is too heavy and nothing will change your mind, then exercise your right to not buy the car. The manufacturers won't be going back to 1967. It isn't practical and it isn't something which the buying public would accept.
__________________
Member Illinois Camaro Club
His Name is Rosie - "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick!" - If you know who said that, then you know the genesis of his name.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
4thGen
 
Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I have to chime in here. This whole endless saga of people complaining about weight is getting a bit tiresome.

Wait until you drive the car. Consider the requirements under which it has been built. This isn't 1967, 1970,1982, 1993 , or even 2002.

The world has changed. If you feel the car is too heavy and nothing will change your mind, then exercise your right to not buy the car. The manufacturers won't be going back to 1967. It isn't practical and it isn't something which the buying public would accept.


It's not like it weighs the same as a semi. It weighs less than 4000lbs. A lot of time has put into the suspension and handling. It's not going to be some crappy car. IRS adds weight, safety features add weight. It's part of the luxury. It's gotta be a lot more comfortable on the road than the Mustang.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
MajorTom
 
MajorTom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 307
And honestly it's not like the cars from the 60s weighed much less. From what I read, a 70 challenger weighed about 3800-3900 pounds. So in 38 years it gained 300 pounds.


The gripe is that cars like the Mustang and the Camaro weighed in around 3400 pounds about 6 years ago. It's quite a change. I'll buy an SS with a stick. 3850 pounds isn't too bad and it'll smoke it's competition in most aspects of performance despite it's weight. And with pedders suspension improvements it'll do even better.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,323
I guess I'm looking at this weight issue differently than most. My truck that I've been driving for 9 years weighs in at about 5400 lbs empty when I'm leaving the dump. 3700-3800 lbs for the Camaro is going to handle light years better than my truck. I drive my truck like it's a sports car so I better be more careful once I'm driving my Camaro.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
gladiatoro
 
gladiatoro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kelowna B.C Canada
Posts: 307
A current MUSTANG GTweighs 3500 pounds roughly that's 400 pounds roughly LESS than the new CAMARO SS but that being said the 2010 Stang I think will weigh a bit more due to new safety regulations bigger Motor etc... still I think it will be at least 200 pounds lighter than the SS since they will be using the same Lincoln LS platform..
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will curb weight change your buying decision? mprhead5 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 114 04-16-2010 11:55 AM
weight loss CamaroSpike23 Off-topic Discussions 8 09-17-2009 07:16 PM
5th Gen Camaro curb weight updates. Sticky thread? TT C6 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 130 10-16-2008 02:03 PM
Curb weight for new Camaro? topgun1 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 06-06-2008 10:05 PM
Camaro Weight JeepinMatt 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 62 03-26-2008 09:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.