Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
Drill Rotors DIY

Hey, a question to the machinists:

Can the brake rotors be drilled with good effect by a home shop tinkerer?
It would seem simple enough to devise a paper layout and simple jig
for a drill press. Machining a slot would best be left to a professional, but
drilling and chamfering holes should be easy enough.
Any hidden dangers or caveats?
Whaddya think?

RixRad
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Not a machinist. But you don't want holes in your rotors. Professional or home DIY. They are only for looks, and if really used hard will develop cracks coming out of the holes.

If you have to have that look, buy a top name brand already holy.

There is a reason you don't see holes on any of the Nascar teams rotors.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yeah I really wouldnt recomend taking drill bits to the rotor haha they will crack if not done right.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Drilled will crack, go slotted from a name brand if you want to go that route.
HaZe_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
If the holes are chamfered they will not crack. That is the purpose of chamferred holes. As for doing it yourself, you need to have VERY sharp and high quality bits to avoid creating hot spots when you drill and get the speed perfect for the bit that is used. Plus measuring out the pattern to avoid hitting the cross vanes is a PITA.

Personally I would go with the Stillen rotors are similar that are already drilled and zinc coasted....
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
A couple of points.

First in my opinion, I wouldn't do anything to your rotors yourself. Your life depends on your brakes and I wouldn't take the remotest chance that you could duplicte the real tolerances and specifications required.

Second, I am told by folks I trust that drilled rotors are more cosmetic than functional. Arguably they are lighter, but slotted rotors do a better job of getting the gases out than drilled holes.

Third, I agree NASCAR doesn't have drilled rotors that I've seen, but every performance motorcycle on the road does. I think this is because the rotors are so thin that you couldn't slot them very well.

Fourth, I am seriously considering cross drilled rotors for our new Sky. They look awesome and I would pay for the Z51 package on the Corvette just to get the look. But I think even there they are a visual clue that you bought the better package. And you don't have enough money for me to do it myself and still drive the car.

Hope that helps, Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
rmnc3r

Thanks for the input.
Valid and well thought out responses, especially regarding the cross vanes.
I have drilled rotors on my MCs and assumed it was for heat dissipation.
Sounds like it would be more trouble (and dangerous) than it's worth.
Cheers!
RixRad
Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
Thanks for the input.
Cheers!
RixRad
Me too! And you are correct. It is for heat dissipation and out-gassing of the pads. It has been a long time debate on which is better, holes vs grooves.

But it has been stated on many vendors' sites that holes are better for heat and out-gassing and grooves are better for pad face wiping. That is why you see more and more coming with both!

As for bikes, there is not enough material to do grooves as it decreased min thickness...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
Thanks for the input.
Cheers!
RixRad
exactly. no sense in risking screwing something up. plus a lot of "drilled" rotors are actually cast with the holes in them instead of casting blanks then drilling them.

and Number 3.... doesnt the ZR1 have drilled rotors?
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
The ZR1 has carbon ceramic rotors, a completely different monster. No reason to drill your rotors. I dont think slotted are really needed either for 99% of the people out there. All its going to do is cause noise and vibration.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
Also, once you drill the rotors, they can't be cut.
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
exactly. no sense in risking screwing something up. plus a lot of "drilled" rotors are actually cast with the holes in them instead of casting blanks then drilling them.

and Number 3.... doesnt the ZR1 have drilled rotors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
The ZR1 has carbon ceramic rotors, a completely different monster. No reason to drill your rotors. I dont think slotted are really needed either for 99% of the people out there. All its going to do is cause noise and vibration.
Z51 came with cross drilled rotors and I believe those came with the MR shock package as well. Now that Z51 is in the Grand Sport package. As oachalon says, the ZR1 has 10 grand worth of ceramic rotors, and unless my eyes deceive me, those are cross drilled as well and looking mighty bad a$$ to me.

But I am going by a hallway conversation with a Corvette brake engineer who had the opinion they were more for show and that slots were superior for outgassing. But slots don't look as cool as cross drilling.

And now that I look at that picture above my littel Sky, I think I need bigger brakes. LOL Those ZR1 brakes look bigger than my tires.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Ok reaaallllly crappy shop on this one...........................but makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for sure.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
The Stillen ones are pretty good and reasonably priced - IMO

Not on the car yet - hopefully tomorrow
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
The Stillen ones are pretty good and reasonably priced - IMO

Not on the car yet - hopefully tomorrow
re using the Brembo calipers? Those should, if nothing else, look great!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
I can say from experience that even the mighty Z06's drilled rotors crack. All the serious/hardcore road course guys I know upgraded them. Mine developed small, hairline cracks pretty quickly...StopTech was/is a favorite with many Z06 guys.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Z51 came with cross drilled rotors and I believe those came with the MR shock package as well. Now that Z51 is in the Grand Sport package. As oachalon says, the ZR1 has 10 grand worth of ceramic rotors, and unless my eyes deceive me, those are cross drilled as well and looking mighty bad a$$ to me.

But I am going by a hallway conversation with a Corvette brake engineer who had the opinion they were more for show and that slots were superior for outgassing. But slots don't look as cool as cross drilling.

And now that I look at that picture above my littel Sky, I think I need bigger brakes. LOL Those ZR1 brakes look bigger than my tires.

Quote:
Ok reaaallllly crappy shop on this one...........................but makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for sure.
do it.

you'll be able to stop on a dime and give me $0.09 in change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Since your brought up MC stuff

I do believe its the nature of the dual sided, hollowed veined for cooling car rotors.

The strength of hydro brakes on a car can and will find a way to flex it under hard load and crack after time. Which means being more dillegent on checking and replacing parts ahead of time. Which is what you should do if you run them. Look at them close, often

If the risk of sudden failure that killed folks happened more then a blue moon on regular street use[not racing], lawyers would sue them into the stone age and you would never find them again. [And id bet most will say, for normal street use only to CTA] If you can find someone who wrecked from a cracked drilled rotor, id bet you will find the rotor gave plenty of warning signs but no one was checking.

Now in the MC=motorcycle world they are solid disc, with less room to flex from the squeeze but are also under less load as no one wants to really be superman
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
re using the Brembo calipers? Those should, if nothing else, look great!!!
Yup, existing Brembo calipers to be painted IOM to match the interior and the stripes!

As soon as they rain & tornadoes stop! :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI

"There is a reason you don't see holes on any of the Nascar teams rotors."

Sorry but this is a peeve of mine.....

To the OP: Don't do this yourself, for reasons everyone has stated. The odds of a DIY getting it right are incredible.

Sure, look at Nascar as the standard of technology. But for the sake of everything holy, sacred and pure, DON'T look at ANY other form of car racing.

NASCAR IS THE NEW STANDARD OF THE WORLD!!!!!! No there isn't one with drilled rotors. Of course, they don't have a fuel injected intake either. I guess its back to the ol' carburetor, or its just for show. The guys that want to really go fast get the webber side drafts bolted on!

No offense, but it kills me when people say grooved or slotted rotors are much better. If they were, every Ferrari coming out of the factory would have them instead of the old, junky technology of drilled rotors.

EDIT: I agree slotted have their place or they wouldn't have been invented, but in general drilled is the standard

Last edited by Shifty 6; 01-20-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: qualify
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I'd love to see what happens when someone tries to cross-drill their rotors by themselves. Preferably not on a new Camaro, but I would find it rather interesting regardless...

But for the love of God and all that is holy, please don't try this yourself. Especially if you ever plan on driving through Texas, specifically San Antonio...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
rmnc3r

I love musing (potentially bad) ideas with you guys!
Lot's of good, solid, practical, real world, common sense advice!

Now, how about (I should start another thread!!) Fuel Filler Doors?
I'm not too impressed with anything specifically for the Camaro,
BUT, I do think the Challengers Fuel Filler Door has some artistic merit.
Hmmm, I wonder if it would fit....?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I'd love to see what happens when someone tries to cross-drill their rotors by themselves.
That would depend, is it a guy with a $5 drill in his driveway or a guy with his own machine shop...........
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Which do you think?
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
fourmz
Fourmz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
Unless you are a very experianced sport/race driver, you don't need them. The Brembos work just fine (My 2 cents)
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote