Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Future Interest Rates?

To you bankers out there, what do you think interest rates are going to do in the next 10 months?

I'm in a quandry, wanting to buy a 2010 SS now with no down payment at 5.25%. This means I'll be financing almost $40,000 for 6 years = a monthly payment of $649 and total interest of $6,716. If I wait 10 months to save $5,000 for a down payment and interest rates are 9% then my payment would drop only $18/month, but I'll be sending $10,425 to interest. Almost my entire down payment would be eaten up by interest.

My wife insists...er, thinks I should save up the down payment. I want...er, think I should buy it now. If interest rates remain stable for 10 months I'd choose the deferred pleasure route and go with the down payment. If they're going up drastically like I think they are I'd be better off buying now.

What do you think?
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
(disclaimer: not a banker though I follow the markets)

I don't think rates are going to change too much in the next 10 months. I don't see them going any lower than they are right now, either. There's some upward pressure due to dollar strength concerns, but those things don't always manifest predictably.

I say if you qualify for the loan right now, get it now. Pay extra on the loan along the way if you ever have extra to shorten it's term. Shortening the length of time you owe money is going to make a much bigger difference in terms of amount of interest paid than a percentage point here or there.
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
savage71ChevelleSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS Imperial Blue
rates won't be going anywhere near 9% in the next 10 months. Maybe up 1/2%. The key is your beacon score, the market will climb rate wise, but not by much in 10 months
savage71ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
brAnd7onX
Team L99

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS IOM
You think your interest rate will go from 5 to 9? That wont happen within 10 months but maybe 10 years. Also with most banks if you put a down payment down your rate will be lower so a down payment might be the way to go for you.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
jonm38

Drives: 2008 Chevy Silverado, Camaro 2SS
I heard as of today, that the interest rates are going back up. If they go back up, then the housing market is going to tank. I don't work for a bank or work in the field of markets. But, if you have a house that you can't sell, might check out renting through a good company that will represent their clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
To you bankers out there, what do you think interest rates are going to do in the next 10 months?

I'm in a quandry, wanting to buy a 2010 SS now with no down payment at 5.25%. This means I'll be financing almost $40,000 for 6 years = a monthly payment of $649 and total interest of $6,716. If I wait 10 months to save $5,000 for a down payment and interest rates are 9% then my payment would drop only $18/month, but I'll be sending $10,425 to interest. Almost my entire down payment would be eaten up by interest.

My wife insists...er, thinks I should save up the down payment. I want...er, think I should buy it now. If interest rates remain stable for 10 months I'd choose the deferred pleasure route and go with the down payment. If they're going up drastically like I think they are I'd be better off buying now.

What do you think?

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
:flag1:
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
. . . .
My wife insists...er, thinks I should save up the down payment. I want...er, think I should buy it now. . . .
What do you think?
I think I am having the same dinner conversation!

and I tried every rationalization I could come up with as to why it would be better to buy now -- interest rates going up, prices going up, winter is the time to buy a sports car, etc. etc. etc. and she won't bite . . . face it, she's run circles around you logically; you will always save money with a bigger downpayment; also to me 6 years is way too long to be paying for a car so I wouldn't even go there . . .

you need to change your tactics; talk about the time-value of fun instead of the time-value of money!

or maybe when the new mustang comes out this spring they will have a fire sale on the Camaros that is too good to pass up . . . . we can dream, right?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Heck if you got a stellar credit score there are amazing rates to be had out there right now. I just got a flyer from my local CU telling me to come refinance my car for 3.99%. Thats just an insane deal, and if you can find it, and find a bank that won't REQUIRE you to make the down payment, then go ahead and get it now I say! Who knows how long deals like that will stay around. Odds are rates are going up, its just a matter of when. I don't see them going up more than a point in the next 10-12 months though, and probably not even that.

Can't go wrong agreeing with the wife though, even if she's wrong ;-) But remind her that if the down payment is really bugging her, you can always buy it now and apply the $5K towards the loan later to lower the interest. No prepayment penalties on a car loan.
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I think I am having the same dinner conversation!

you need to change your tactics; talk about the time-value of fun instead of the time-value of money!
Unfortunately, my wife is more into security than fun. She thinks savings accounts are more fun than cars. When the Dollar finally falls through the floor a savings account will be worth a fraction of what you had in it, but a Camaro is still a Camaro! I guess that's why women are from Venus and men are from Mars.
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
Unfortunately, my wife is more into security than fun. She thinks savings accounts are more fun than cars. When the Dollar finally falls through the floor a savings account will be worth a fraction of what you had in it, but a Camaro is still a Camaro! I guess that's why women are from Venus and men are from Mars.
I hear ya brother . . . mine too . . . but it is a good balance, marriage is a partnership and she keeps me out of trouble (can't think of a real example of that, but I'm sure it has happened at least once or twice over the past 28 years . . . . )

that's a good argument about inflation and the value of the dollar, I hadn't tried that one!

hmmmmmm . . . need to come up with a reason why a Camaro is better than gold . . . .
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
salphonso

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS (Coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
hmmmmmm . . . need to come up with a reason why a Camaro is better than gold . . . .
Just get a gold plated Camaro
salphonso is offline   Reply With Quote