Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm amazed at the hostility here. Mike (dms) didn't say to hell with the DIY'ers, he said the tool was a custom made one which they make for their dealers; in other words it's not a stocked on-the-shelf item they sell... they custom make them as needed for their dealers. His comment about it and the install time using it was aimed at Pfadt who does this as part of their business; it was not aimed at a one-time-use diy situation. How many businesses would tell their competitors "hey we have a tool that can cut that install time in half, interested?" I thought that was pretty cool for him to offer it to Aaron.

I just had a Pedder's Extreme Street package put on my car which included the diff bushings, many other bushings, coilovers and a full chassis alignment which in itself took over an hour on a very sophisticated machine. It took the Pedder's dealer a day to do it which included everything.

If a dealer can do the diff bushings in about 1.5 hrs at $60 an hour, that's about $90-100 in labor. I understand Mike's thinking that why sell a tool for $160 or more to be used only once when you can take it to the dealer who will do it for less? And he stated the problems they had in the past with loaning tools; I didn't see any bashing or contempt for the DIY crowd in what he said.

I read this thread earlier today and I almost commented on it but didn't. However it's really bothered me to the point where I wanted to comment.

All this hostility and anger really doesn't benefit any of the vendors or the Camaro community and I don't see any real reason for it. Both Pedder's and Pfadt make great stuff; they work as advertised and are worth getting. I couldn't be happier with my Pedder's system and I'm sure a Pfadt system would provide the same benefits. I'm very glad both companies support the Camaro and I'd hate to have that enthusiasm dampened by misplaced animosity.

Last Saturday the SoCal Cam5 group got together at Nutek wheels in Anaheim and we had a great time. Warren and Mike Lin from Racing Brake as well as Mike Haddad of Haddad Motorsports who is a Pedder's dealer and installed my system came to the event as well. It was a great day and great to see the spirit of community and cooperation between vendors that has become a hallmark of Camaro5 as everybody met together and discussed Camaros and the things we've done and plan to do to them.

Mtcwby you did a wonderful job of contributing to the children's charity event you guys did last year and I'd love to see that same spirit of good will brought here. Pfadt and Pedders are both excellent companies with top notch reputations; there shouldn't be any reason to have hard feelings towards either company or it's representatives. Both contribute very useful info to the forum and make great products and I believe it benefits all of us to have them here.
When I called Pedders and asked to buy a tool, they said I wasn't a dealer so they wouldn't sell me one. I don't care what it costs, there isn't a Pedders shop in my area to take the car to. But when I called Cincy Speed and asked them about their tool, they said they'd make me one and send it within a couple days. Sure it cost $150, big deal. We did a Camaro meet last Saturday, and one of the other owners is going to buy it from me as soon as I'm done with it. So it isn't really costing a thing. It will just get resold over and over, until someone wants to keep it. The customer service is what I was bitching about, my money is as good as anyone elses. Pedders could have made an extra $150 and had a satisfied customer. In my book, Customer Service means everything, no matter how trivial it may be.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #52
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Off topic but thats a cute little blue jack. Where'd you get it?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #53
Blue70SS

Drives: 2010 LS3Camaro2SSRS IOM in/out
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
Off topic but thats a cute little blue jack. Where'd you get it?
Harbor Freight on sale during the holidays, retails at $120 now. Should come in handy for lowered cars being low profile..... I had checked out several and this fit the need and very easy on the back.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96562
boosted LPE Twin Pump,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #54
RS-SS2

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 09 mini, 01 3500
mtcwby, let me know how the install goes, might try to tackle this job myself as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #55
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
When I called Pedders and asked to buy a tool, they said I wasn't a dealer so they wouldn't sell me one. I don't care what it costs, there isn't a Pedders shop in my area to take the car to. But when I called Cincy Speed and asked them about their tool, they said they'd make me one and send it within a couple days. Sure it cost $150, big deal. We did a Camaro meet last Saturday, and one of the other owners is going to buy it from me as soon as I'm done with it. So it isn't really costing a thing. It will just get resold over and over, until someone wants to keep it. The customer service is what I was bitching about, my money is as good as anyone elses. Pedders could have made an extra $150 and had a satisfied customer. In my book, Customer Service means everything, no matter how trivial it may be.
Our tool is hand made, at great cost to us. In fact we just significantly increased the strength of all the components to handle the additional stresses of the Camaro Steel jacket. We do not make a profit on the tool. We make the tools for the benefit of our dealers and only have a very limited supply.

We have tried lending customers some tools. This has proven to be significantly costly to us because of the lack of care some have done, like driving over a $500 cradle alignment tool, and 2 damaged old style diff bush tools. The issue is unknown to me as to how they did this. I have done over 30 or so with my diff tool and the only thing I have had to replace is the acme rod, which is a disposable component. We have not been able to find a higher grade 1/2 inch acme rod.

So sorry if our policy offends you. If we are going to tie up our capable and make 100 of these tools, then we are going to make it worth while financially. But we do not want to tie up our inventory capital on things like this. We also have a tool that can take a rear cradle bushing out in 30-45 seconds. But again, this is for our dealers only.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #56
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
First off, THANK YOU for the motivation. We looked around and could not find this tool you speak of. So we made our own. Worked great.

But you do have to cut one small piece of the old.

Then "fold" up the edge or knock it off.

Install tool.

Impact it.

VIOLA!! All three are gone.

Hears a Youtube video Mtcwby and I made showing tool in use - SLICK!
Thanks Cincy Speed - MUCH easier than my install!

Click pause and let load. Notice the video time as bushing is removed.

boosted LPE Twin Pump,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions

LPE Brotherhood

Last edited by Blue70SS; 02-07-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #57
RS-SS2

Nice video Blue and mtccby, the video and tool is going to help allot of the diyer's out there !!!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #58
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS RS M6 TVS2300
Hey Don & Garth nice video,It sucks doing that kind of work on your back,I cant wait to buy the tool from you next week and get mine done.I will be doing mine on a rack ,LOL I will time the install.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #59
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-SS2 View Post
Nice video Blue and mtccby, the video and tool is going to help allot of the diyer's out there !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLEB View Post
Hey Don & Garth nice video,It sucks doing that kind of work on your back,I cant wait to buy the tool from you next week and get mine done.I will be doing mine on a rack ,LOL I will time the install.
Darren and Steve, I'll find out which of you needs the tool first then I'll get it to you and then the other one can buy it from them. I'll be talkin to each of you tomorrow. I'll be sending good pics and instructions with it. Also I'm including one of the bushings I took out to make it easier to see what needs to be folded back for the tool to fit properly. I've got a feeling the tool will be making alot of travels in the future, for all of us DIYers.
Getting the car on jackstands, the exhaust off, and driveline off is what takes the longest on this job. After that the bushings are fairly easy.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #60
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Hell Yeah!! Great video of our Cincy Speed tool in use.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #61
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
So why do you need to make that notch first? Would seem to me you could have the female (cup) part of the tool fit over the car part and pull the male part of the tool into it? Would save you from possibly knicking the car part and having to debur?
Very cool vid btw!!!
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #62
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
So why do you need to make that notch first? Would seem to me you could have the female (cup) part of the tool fit over the car part and pull the male part of the tool into it? Would save you from possibly knicking the car part and having to debur?
Very cool vid btw!!!
Cheers
K
Only the rear bushing has enough exposed area to do this. Both of the front bushings leave 1/2 of the removal tool without a push point.... which would cause the tool to slide over the side and jam up. Instead, the tool is pushing off 3 points to remove the front bushings. The rear could be done without notching IF a separate tool was made without the welded area inside the cup. Possibly the kit could just come with 2 different cups? ....... would increase the price though just to save one notch cut.

See pictures on post #21 and video on post #56

This appears to be THE Tool for DIY guys, and a great one at that!

LPE Brotherhood
Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #63
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah I think I see what you are talking about. In the video it looked like the static end of the tool is a socket or cup that goes around/over the diff. housing. In looking at the pic and your reply I think I see what you are saying now.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #64
GeorgeInNePa
Plastic Cuttin' Badass

Drives: '08 G8GT 6.0
I have a G8 and our bushings aren't flanged.

That being said, I did mine with a piece of all-thread and nuts from Lowes, a piece of exhaust adapter from Advance Auto, a large piece of steel from the parts bin, and some large washers from True Value.

It is easier to do with the diff on the floor or on the bench.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2764
FasterProms Tune, Ported TB/Intake - HSRK - Vararam - SLP 25% UD Pulley - ARH 1 3/4" Longtubes - Pypes Violators - Yank 3200 Converter - PCM4Less Trans Cooler - DashHawk - All Pedders Bushings, Xa Coil-Overs - Spohn Arms - Billet Prototypes Catch Can - Skinnies on GTO rims - ET Streets on F Body Rims - SJM LineLoc - 3.70gears/Harrop TrueTrac
Coming Soon: Ported Heads/Cam/DoD Delete
GeorgeInNePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #65
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post
I have a G8 and our bushings aren't flanged.

That being said, I did mine with a piece of all-thread and nuts from Lowes, a piece of exhaust adapter from Advance Auto, a large piece of steel from the parts bin, and some large washers from True Value.

It is easier to do with the diff on the floor or on the bench.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2764
The Camaro comes out quite a biut harder than the G8 due to the steel jacket on the Camasro vs the aluminum jacket on the G8. We revamped our puller to handle the stresses of the Camaro better

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #66
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-SS2 View Post
FYI: RS-SS2 was able to upgrade his LPE650 to the Pfadt Poly Bushings in 3 hours using Cincy Speeds tool repurchased from Mtcwby. He does however have a really nice new lift which helps considerably. The other big factor is how your exhaust comes off (CATS to tail pipe whole or sectional). Best thing is "RS" has another buyer lined up for the tool already, setup by Mtcwby.

Thanks again to both Pfadt and Cincy Speed for the great customer service and being soooo professional.
..... ready for high HP!

LPE Brotherhood
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #67
Qwkss

Glad to have been able to help.

Now if we could quit having all this snow dump on us here in Cincinnati, I would be able to ship out two more tools.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #68
Badassbird
LSX Tuner at Cincy Speed

Drives: 1988 GTA Trans Am
Its great when an idea hits paper and follows thru as u want it to. I am glad we could bring this tool to the community to help you all out.

Tracey Scott
Lead GM Tech and Tuner -Cincy Speed
513-821-2221
Badassbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #69
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
Its great when an idea hits paper and follows thru as u want it to. I am glad we could bring this tool to the community to help you all out.
Man you guys really watch this Camaro5 forum close! Again, nice job.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #70
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
FYI: RS-SS2 was able to upgrade his LPE650 to the Pfadt Poly Bushings in 3 hours using Cincy Speeds tool repurchased from Mtcwby. He does however have a really nice new lift which helps considerably. The other big factor is how your exhaust comes off (CATS to tail pipe whole or sectional). Best thing is "RS" has another buyer lined up for the tool already, setup by Mtcwby.

Thanks again to both Pfadt and Cincy Speed for the great customer service and being soooo professional.
..... ready for high HP!
Anytime! Thanks for posting the progress. Very helpful for the community.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #71
RS-SS2

I must say with the help of Blue and Mtcwby's tutorial I was able to install the Pfadt diff bushings on a lift in 3hrs. I'm sure it would have taken me a great deal more time without there help. The cincy speed tool works as advertized.

After I installed the bushings I also installed the Pfadt front / rear sways and engine mounts. What a difference this makes, feels like a different car.

Pfadt coil overs are on order and I can hardly wait to install them.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #72
Petersimov

Drives: 2ss
can i get the tool next
Petersimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #73
Qwkss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersimov View Post
can i get the tool next
Did you finally get a set of 4:10s and istall kit?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #74
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersimov View Post
can i get the tool next
Per post #59, I think "RS-2SS" in Albuquerque got the tool then sold it to "BUMBLEB" in Denver. I would try a PM to BUMBLEB or buy another from Cincy speed and line up a buyer for yours.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #75
Petersimov

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
Did you finally get a set of 4:10s and istall kit?
No lol i just went with the tvs 2300 but there cumming and do u have the bushings and the tool in stock

Last edited by Petersimov; 03-14-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: sp
Petersimov is offline   Reply With Quote