Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences Share review & feedback on vendors and sellers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 893
"Request a Quote" or "Call for Prices", Why?

A few vendor`s site I have gone to check their price`s on a particular item I`m interested in only to find this; "Request a Quote" or "Call for Prices", why do you do this? Is it because the item in question is so insanely high you want to hear a prospective customer gag, or what? If you want to sell a product then give the customer a price, not a dam telephone number or an Email address for a quote! Trust me if you waste my time without a price attached to an item I`m not going to waste anymore of my time calling or Emailing you either!

If there are any vendors out there who do this I would really like to know why you will not give a price with your ad`s.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,306
I can't answer for all vendors and items but when it comes to cars, some items are costume made and the price will vary depending on the buyer's needs or wants. It's kinda hard to set a price on a item when you sell 20 of them and 15 are all different with different prices.

Also on new cars, the vendor's cost of an item to get from their supplier can vary week to week depending on availability and demand until the market stabilizes making them change their prices every week as well.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Frank in MD
Raining Blood
 
Frank in MD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: facebook
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
A few vendor`s site I have gone to check their price`s on a particular item I`m interested in only to find this; "Request a Quote" or "Call for Prices", why do you do this? Is it because the item in question is so insanely high you want to hear a prospective customer gag, or what? If you want to sell a product then give the customer a price, not a dam telephone number or an Email address for a quote! Trust me if you waste my time without a price attached to an item I`m not going to waste anymore of my time calling or Emailing you either!

If there are any vendors out there who do this I would really like to know why you will not give a price with your ad`s.
Do you really want to know why or do you just want or do you just want to express your opinion on the practice? I personally don't see the harm in putting up "call us" when it is a vehicle that can generate phone traffic.

Also, dealers that put up prices on websites rarely if ever list a real price, the price is always minus all incentives (some you'll qualify for, some you won't), destination, advertsing, prep fees, you name it. So you'd pretty much have to call or email anyway, yes?

Also, I hear from time to time why not just put up your rock bottom price?

Simple answer.... Whatever number we dealers put up is the number people begin to negotiate from, and customers will never believe you when you tell them that advertised price on line is the bottom line. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Someone, somewhere is always going to have a problem w/ what we dealers do.... since we understand that is the case, we would much rather talk to that customer on the phone, and earn the right to see him or her in person.
__________________
Ordered 1/9/12 - Born 2/3/12 - Delivered 2/21/12 - '12 1SS/RS Summit White - TRADED.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.

Last edited by Frank in MD; 01-21-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Frank in MD
Raining Blood
 
Frank in MD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: facebook
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I can't answer for all vendors and items but when it comes to cars, some items are costume made and the price will vary depending on the buyer's needs or wants. It's kinda hard to set a price on a item when you sell 20 of them and 15 are all different with different prices.

Also on new cars, the vendor's cost of an item to get from their supplier can vary week to week depending on availability and demand until the market stabilizes making them change their prices every week as well.
Excellent point. It gives us the opportunity to explain why a car seems to be priced higher than it would seem to be priced. Custom paint, groud effects, rims and tires.... We'd rather have a chance to explain it than give a number and have the customer think we're doing something underhanded....
__________________
Ordered 1/9/12 - Born 2/3/12 - Delivered 2/21/12 - '12 1SS/RS Summit White - TRADED.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,731
Not sure if this is what you mean, but vendors are given a price from the manufacturer. Sometimes the vendor sells the product for cheaper, but they can't show the cheaper price because of the what the manufacturer wants them to sell it for.

__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Frank in MD
Raining Blood
 
Frank in MD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: facebook
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Not sure if this is what you mean, but vendors are given a price from the manufacturer. Sometimes the vendor sells the product for cheaper, but they can't show the cheaper price because of the what the manufacturer wants them to sell it for.

No. GM doesn't care what we sell for, so long as we honor the dealer agreement and don't sell overseas, across borders and such.
__________________
Ordered 1/9/12 - Born 2/3/12 - Delivered 2/21/12 - '12 1SS/RS Summit White - TRADED.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Do you really want to know why or do you just want or do you just want to express your opinion on the practice? I personally don't see the harm in putting up "call us" when it is a vehicle that can generate phone traffic.

Also, dealers that put up prices on websites rarely if ever list a real price, the price is always minus all incentives (some you'll qualify for, some you won't), destination, advertsing, prep fees, you name it. So you'd pretty much have to call or email anyway, yes?

Also, I hear from time to time why not just put up your rock bottom price?

Simple answer.... Whatever number we dealers put up is the number people begin to negotiate from, and customers will never believe you when you tell them that advertised price on line is the bottom line. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Someone, somewhere is always going to have a problem w/ what we dealers do.... since we understand that is the case, we would much rather talk to that customer on the phone, and earn the right to see him or her in person.
I`m referring to vendors not auto dealers, I understand why dealerships do not include prices in their advertisment. My specific complaint is with aftermarket and add-on`s (wheels, engines, ect)
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,461
I understand that process on cars but parts?? If you are looking for a MAF sensor what is the big deal it cost what it cost. Some maybe cheaper so be it..There are about 400 different prices on an exhaust sytem for the Camaro, they all claim to be the same thing, so why when you go to a dealer website is it such a secret??? Just curious
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,706
As was stated earllier...
There are MANY manufacturers whom state that we can only advertise at MSRP, or at a certain discount. But they do not tell us we cannto sell for under that, they just will not allow us to post it.

Another reason you will see it on some sites is that we may have multiple suppliers for that item, and when one is not in stock we pay a different price for the item from a different wholesaler.

That is just what I have experienced with my site.
If you are looking for something in particular I would be happy to get you a price so you can avoid all the BS you will find out there on the internet.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
dragonZ28


 
Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,996
We make custom items, and post the prices.
We have a full e-commerce site, and we would much rather have customers buying items, than wondering what the price is.
If there is a custom option we do not have listed, then we do take calls, and emails about it because it is impossible to predetermine what all possible custom parameters may be.
There are some vendors who do not post prices on pieces they certainly could do it on. I also do not get it.
We also sell on ebay, and you can't do buy it now auctions without prices.

Thanks, Roger
__________________
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,665
Basically it all starts with MAP policies. Many manufactuers have MAP (minimum advertised price) policies. A MAP policy is exactly what the name says. Basically when you set up an account with a manufactuer it is basically.."if you want to sell our stuff then you won't list it for below whatever price we tell you". Some manufactuers get upset if they even get a wiff you might be offering prices lower than MAP, and others are kinda like "Don't let us see it in writing". Some others have a policy but don't enforce it at all. However "minimum advertised price" does not mean "minimum sale price"..so you can ultimatly sell the part for whatever you want.

By in large we prefer to put our best price on the site. It is more work for us to have a ton of phone calls for price quotes and what not. However, since every MAP policy is different, some lines you have to do call for pricing in order to sell for pricing. Some places do "Call for pricing" as a way of life..in general for us..we try and limit it to only 1-2 lines where it makes sense or when a customer needs a large custom package of stuff.

Call for pricing does a few things. First off..it means you won't spend the whole day pming a written quote to every vendor on the board looking for price matches (most places require a written quote for price matches). I might sound like a meanie..but I am here to sell stuff..not help you get a better deal from someone else. Secondly, it does allow you to talk to the customer..which in a lot of times will seperate the vendors who are just moving wiggets as a side business, and the ones who have knowlege to share beyond a price quote.

What it all boils down to is..every part we sell is on our website..and if you want to pay the website price because calling is inconvient..I certainly will not complain. However if someone is offering to save you money..why look a gift horse in the mouth because it requires a 5 minute call? If the forum made a rule that vendors all had to put their prices in writing in sale posts it would do nothing be result in higher prices for the customer, or someone coming up with another scheme that requires even more effort.

Way back when I started my business, I wondered why things were done this way honestly. It did not make sense..and seemed like a hard way of doing things. Over time, you kinda of realize that aftermarket parts is a very competive business...and it is a necessary evil if you want to be competive.

Most customers I talk to end up glad they actually got to talk to someone vs. trading PM's.
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!


Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 01-22-2010 at 01:47 AM.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
brtaus
 
brtaus's Avatar
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Most customers I talk to end up glad they actually got to talk to someone vs. trading PM's.
I second this. I recently purchased a few things from Brandon at Maryland Speed and when I PM'ed him, he asked if he could call me. I have to be honest, I did not really want to do this, just wanted to get see what kind of deal I would get from the vendors I PM'ed and go with the best price. However, I gave him my number, he called me back, we talked, he gave me his price, I ordered. Not only did I like the quote he gave me, but the personal service was a BIG plus. For my future parts needs, I will most definitely call him first.
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
St33lsinger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
A few vendor`s site I have gone to check their price`s on a particular item I`m interested in only to find this; "Request a Quote" or "Call for Prices", why do you do this? Is it because the item in question is so insanely high you want to hear a prospective customer gag, or what? If you want to sell a product then give the customer a price, not a dam telephone number or an Email address for a quote! Trust me if you waste my time without a price attached to an item I`m not going to waste anymore of my time calling or Emailing you either!

If there are any vendors out there who do this I would really like to know why you will not give a price with your ad`s.
Sometimes I find this irritating too, but I understand why they do this.
I went ahead and did the "Contact US" thing..got a answer and then when the guy heard I wasn't buying until later this year, guy didnt even write back with any information at all. Guess he didn't need the 4 to 5 grand I was going to spend with him.
Anyway I am still going to shop around for my upgrade package maybe I can find a vendor that will play ball...
So far SLP and Hennessey have given me thier bids and they are both quick to help no matter what my timeline is.
__________________

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.