Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Pk
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 1SS/RS, 02 Skyline R34
Angry Meineke says Muffler Delete is illegal?

So I just got back from a local Meineke and asked them how much it would cost to do a Muffler Delete, well the Administrator walks up to me with an attitude and says its against the law. I was like I just want to cut my mufflers off, replace the voided space with pipe, and reuse the stock tips, he said its illegal and no place does muffler deletes. Was he an idiot or is this true?

-Nick
Pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Nobody does muffler deletes eh. I think he is an idiot. Somebody will do them. But I remember a thread....

Here is a thread for you.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...muffler+delete
Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Sounds pretty true, you can actually get pulled over and fined for your car being too loud...although ive never seen it happen haha, and my friend has a 454 Chevelle with straights on it and he's never caught any flak for it...it is semi-illegal yeah but if its done nobody would know unless they somehow caught a glimpse of the underside of your car or if it was rediculously obnoxiously loud afterwords (which again, the Chevelle had no problems so i dont see an LS3 having any)

If you want it done though you'll have to do it as an at-home project, not a whole lot of work, can probly have it in and out of the garage the same day...also if oyu just wanna make your car sound better you should consider a cam upgrade, not only will it dramaticly help the sound but it will give you a nice performance boost as well
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Pk
Account Suspended

Thanks man, this guy is a moron hes like 50 years old, my friend at Meineke says he will have to do it as a side job due to the old guy being a major C-block with mods lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Pk
Account Suspended

Does ANYONE know if this voids any type of warranty? If its warranty with the exhaust I really dont care lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
ledfut

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Just take your business elsewhere, someone would be willing to do it. Laws vary from state to state.

For instance in CT it's up to the discretion of the police officer whether or not it's too loud. They'll just ticket you and send you to inspection. You are allowed an "altered" exhaust, as long as it doesn't severely amplify the sound.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Pk
Account Suspended

Well I live in Texas, my chevy truck has a 383 stroker, electric cutouts, LT headers, and a cat back system and they have never messed with me.. Theres just limited places getting this job done where I live, if anyone has gotten Muffler Deletes will they please share where they got it done at?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I don't think it voids the warranty. In my exsperience, Meineke won't do any custom exhaust work, nor will they work on a vehicle that has a custom exhaust. As for leagality, You have to check local regulations. Most states the laws stipulate how loud the vehicle can be, not what equipment you can use, but that may be different for where you are.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Pk
Account Suspended

Well I got my exhaust installed on my Skyline at this same Meineke so they have to do custom exhaust work.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pk View Post
Well I got my exhaust installed on my Skyline at this same Meineke so they have to do custom exhaust work.
you got a Skyline? Sweet. How did you manage to bring it in? Any major hassles?
I owned one with I lived in Japan back in 1986-1988.

OP, Sorry for the OT.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Where in TX do you live? I can give you some places if you're in the DFW area.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 01-21-2010 at 03:53 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
matt55

Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Back in 2003 , srt4 didnt even come with mufflers from the factory ......
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
the only way it is illegal is for noise pollution for being too loud. it does not harm the environment and will not void a state inspection. if any inspector gives you smack about it, go somewhere else!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
Id call Hes an idiot. The damn car has 4 cats and 2 baffles. Noise levels arent nearly loud enough to be illegal
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Miketebo22
Iceman

I know i was exaggerating to get the point across the the car isnt that loud with a muffler delete
Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketebo22 View Post
Id call Hes an idiot. The damn car has 4 cats and 2 baffles. Noise levels arent nearly loud enough to be illegal
who are you calling an idiot? if you just do a muffler delete and leave the stock resonator it won't be loud enough. i know because i installed my muffler delete system from magnaflow before any of my other mods.

i installed long tube headers, high flow cats, and replace my resonator with an x-pipe a couple months after my exhaust install... my shit is way louder than the legal limit now and i love it!

it also depends on what state your in, some states are more restricitve with the sound level than others.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
Miketebo22
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
who are you calling an idiot? if you just do a muffler delete and leave the stock resonator it won't be loud enough. i know because i installed my muffler delete system from magnaflow before any of my other mods.

i installed long tube headers, high flow cats, and replace my resonator with an x-pipe a couple months after my exhaust install... my shit is way louder than the legal limit now and i love it!

it also depends on what state your in, some states are more restricitve with the sound level than others.
you made my point for me...maybe read a little more closely before making a comment like that. i said a muffler delete isnt loud enough to be illegal. read first, insult later
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Mixedup

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Well I live in Texas, my chevy truck has a 383 stroker, electric cutouts, LT headers, and a cat back system and they have never messed with me.. Theres just limited places getting this job done where I live, if anyone has gotten Muffler Deletes will they please share where they got it done at?

I live in TX too. Got my muffler delete at a shop in lewisville. L99 AND STILL NOT TOO LOUD - must be because OF THAT BIG ASS RESONATOR!

New sound is nice, if you are close and want to hear let me know.
Mixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedup View Post
I live in TX too. Got my muffler delete at a shop in lewisville. L99 AND STILL NOT TOO LOUD - must be because OF THAT BIG ASS RESONATOR!

New sound is nice, if you are close and want to hear let me know.
Where in Lewisville and how much did you have to pay?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #20
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Meineke is the fiat of muffler shops.
LOL. thats his first mistake.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #21
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the only way it is illegal is for noise pollution for being too loud. it does not harm the environment and will not void a state inspection. if any inspector gives you smack about it, go somewhere else!
The smack really is all the false information that causes others to get wacked or for state to grab and sell the car

There is a FEDERAL noise standard as to Accepted standards for permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002 rules which is 85 dbA for ear safety and 95 dbA to maximum level at the tailpipe tip

Most states as in Ca state :

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system.

It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 (DbA) decibels, when tested under specified conditions.

If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.

Note: The Referee is only authorized to inspect and certify passenger cars and trucks under 6,000 GVWR that have been cited for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151 of the Vehicle Code.

The following steps outline the procedures you'll need to follow to get a certificate of compliance, which shows your vehicle's exhaust noise level is within the applicable standards.

STEP 1

If you feel your vehicle's exhaust system has been modified or has deteriorated so that the noise level exceeds current standards, you should have the exhaust system repaired before proceeding to step 2.

OR

If you have reason to believe that your vehicle's exhaust noise level meets the current standards, proceed directly to step 2.

Note that citations have a court appearance date.]
[Timely action can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.]

STEP 2

Have your vehicle tested at a state Referee Center. To make an appointment, call the Referee Scheduling Center at (800) 622-7733. Have the citation and vehicle registration with you when you call. The Center will tell you any fees that will need to be paid for the test.

STEP 3

The Referee will conduct an exhaust noise level test in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1169, May 1998, to determine if your vehicle's exhaust noise level exceeds the noise standard (95db).

If your vehicle meets the standard, the Referee will give you a "Certificate of Compliance." Take the certificate to the court (See Step 5).

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, the Referee will give you a report that lists the recorded decibel readings. Your vehicle must be repaired to meet the standard of not more than 95 decibels (See Step 4).

STEP 4

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, additional repairs must be made before you can make a second appointment with the Referee Scheduling Center.

STEP 5

Once your vehicle receives a "Certificate of Compliance" from a Referee Center, present the certificate to the court as proof that your vehicle is in compliance with California law.

NOTE: Inspection fees and any necessary repairs are your responsibility. You may also be required to pay a fine and other legal costs when reporting to the court. Also, note that most citations have a deadline. Timely repairs can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

GM warranty would be voided as the car is certified as to the design at the time feds tested the car and removal of muffler in total would change the exhaust backpressure effecting smog devices so violation of EPA.

To prevent permanent ear damage spend $40 for a dbA meter and see what the noise levels are inside and outside the car.
JR-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Quote:
So I just got back from a local Meineke and asked them how much it would cost to do a Muffler Delete, well the Administrator walks up to me with an attitude and says its against the law. I was like I just want to cut my mufflers off, replace the voided space with pipe, and reuse the stock tips, he said its illegal and no place does muffler deletes. Was he an idiot or is this true?

-Nick
Putz , he is .
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #23
PsykoTim

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
As much as it irks me, the old guy is technically correct. Here's what txdot.gov has to say:

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE: Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.

Now, what will they do about full electric vehicle inspections?
PsykoTim is offline   Reply With Quote