Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
Sway bar End links to weak and dinky?

So after installing my rear balance bar I noticed how dinky the The End link truly are! maybe a 1/4 " diameter but not sure.

That got me thinking of the sways actually do anything or are the links so weak there is no difference?

Also has anyone seen any company selling new end links?

Thoughts or explantions are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
55Designs

 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester NY
Posts: 991
Factory links SUCK

I used BWoody Links the results were just amazing. Got get a set.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Hello D1BADZ,

Well, to your first comment, I believe there is some truth to them being weak and dinky, but maybe not as much as you perceive.

The diameter of the link is really dependent on the directions in which it will be stressed. Because of the ball joint ends, and the geometry of the suspension, the majority of loading will take place along the axis of the endlink, and therefore is only required to be strong (ish) in tension and compression.

To the second comment, your sways are certainly doing their job. Weak endlinks or not.

With that said, high impact events like bumping a wheel at an accelerated rate over a rock or something, can cause things to go awry from the original design intent. We supply heavy duty endlinks with our race anti roll bar package, due to the increased load transfer rate that it is responsible for. So, for normal driving, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with the OEM endlinks being a shortcoming. But if you live in an area with harsh road conditions, then you may just keep an eye on it, to see if the ball joints start wearing prematurely.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 01-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Dynabyte
 
Dynabyte's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP VR
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 250
I just installed Eibach sways and springs a couple of weeks ago, and saw the "skimpy" end-links that our Camaros have. These Spohn Performance end-links arrived this week and will be installed shortly. They have Chromoly parts, and even though they may not be absolutely required I wanted to have nice stuff hooked up to nice stuff

__________________
Current Ride: 2013 VR 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
orange10s.c.

 
orange10s.c.'s Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: panama city fl
Posts: 4,787
Man those are sweet !!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,615
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Nice Dynabyte, what do those run per set or all four??

Are the short set ball joint ends? The long ones look like they are.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Dynabyte
 
Dynabyte's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP VR
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Nice Dynabyte, what do those run per set or all four??

Are the short set ball joint ends? The long ones look like they are.
Yes, both sets have ball joints - they're teflon lined and there's lots of info and a couple of videos on their website. I'm really impressed with them. All four links were just shy of $200 shipped.
__________________
Current Ride: 2013 VR 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP

Last edited by Dynabyte; 01-23-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic
 
FFPM73's Avatar
 
Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burlington, KY 41005
Posts: 421
I also just installed the Eibach springs/sway bars kit. I was wanting to buy some aftermarket end links. How much for the set of 4 with shipping to Kentucky?
__________________
FFPM73
FFPM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hello D1BADZ,

Well, to your first comment, I believe there is some truth to them being weak and dinky, but maybe not as much as you perceive.

The diameter of the link is really dependent on the directions in which it will be stressed. Because of the ball joint ends, and the geometry of the suspension, the majority of loading will take place along the axis of the endlink, and therefore is only required to be strong (ish) in tension and compression.

To the second comment, your sways are certainly doing their job. Weak endlinks or not.

With that said, high impact events like bumping a wheel at an accelerated rate over a rock or something, can cause things to go awry from the original design intent. We supply heavy duty endlinks with our race anti roll bar package, due to the increased load transfer rate that it is responsible for. So, for normal driving, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with the OEM endlinks being a shortcoming. But if you live in an area with harsh road conditions, then you may just keep an eye on it, to see if the ball joints start wearing prematurely.
Thanks for the peice of mind, and Ill keep an eye out on the ball joints for sure
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
No worries, I didn't want to come off saying it isn't a good idea. Because it is. But the situation may not be as critical others areas of the car, that's all.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,880
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I too was under my car yesterday and wondered about the links being so thin. Thanks, PfadtRacing, for the education on this. I'm ordering sways and springs in the next few days. Just tryin to get as much info and feedback as possible first.

Not sure of the sways reducing that much body roll. But that's another topic.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I too was under my car yesterday and wondered about the links being so thin. Thanks, PfadtRacing, for the education on this. I'm ordering sways and springs in the next few days. Just tryin to get as much info and feedback as possible first.

Not sure of the sways reducing that much body roll. But that's another topic.
Anytime. Its a good approach you have to research as much as you can and decide which options are best for you. If you have any questions at all about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are here to help. Thanks!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,880
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Anytime. Its a good approach you have to research as much as you can and decide which options are best for you. If you have any questions at all about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are here to help. Thanks!
Ya, I think I've dicided against Eibach. Not for anything bad or quality related but I want mine lowered a tad more. Closer to an inch and a quarter. Seems to me that they are all gonna be about the same as far as performance and me being able to tell how well they work.

D1BADZ, whitch ones did you install?
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
I did pfadt springs with just there balance bar for now. In the driveway in about 3 hours with hand tools some air tools a jack and some jack stands.

Been a solid week and ride is awesome. 1 1/4 is perfect IMO. I had a couple local owners check it out yesterday and they agreed. Its amazing how much lowering these cars really sets it off.

I was worried about losing the amazing comfort but none lost. The only time I feel a diff is hard bumps like sewage drains that are stepped down about 1" or so.
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,880
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
I did pfadt springs with just there balance bar for now. In the driveway in about 3 hours with hand tools some air tools a jack and some jack stands.

Been a solid week and ride is awesome. 1 1/4 is perfect IMO. I had a couple local owners check it out yesterday and they agreed. Its amazing how much lowering these cars really sets it off.

I was worried about losing the amazing comfort but none lost. The only time I feel a diff is hard bumps like sewage drains that are stepped down about 1" or so.
Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. Have you had it alligned yet?
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
Jeanius


 
Jeanius's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Golden State
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
I did pfadt springs with just there balance bar for now. In the driveway in about 3 hours with hand tools some air tools a jack and some jack stands.

Been a solid week and ride is awesome. 1 1/4 is perfect IMO. I had a couple local owners check it out yesterday and they agreed. Its amazing how much lowering these cars really sets it off.

I was worried about losing the amazing comfort but none lost. The only time I feel a diff is hard bumps like sewage drains that are stepped down about 1" or so.
Very good to hear, I have been on the verge of doing this for a while now and I think you just pushed me over the edge
__________________
2SS LS3 M6 - MGW - Dynatech LT's HF Cats - Magnaflow Street CB - ADM Race CAI - Pedders Xa Coilovers - Pfadt Sways
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
hb35man
 
hb35man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Algona Washington
Posts: 316
Another option for sway bar links
http://bwoodyperformance.com/product...roducts_id=434
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,880
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Very good to hear, I have been on the verge of doing this for a while now and I think you just pushed me over the edge
+1
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Jeanius


 
Jeanius's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Golden State
Posts: 2,458
Hey PQ, we should try and get a a group buy going with IPS

They had some real good prices on the last one just before the holidays
__________________
2SS LS3 M6 - MGW - Dynatech LT's HF Cats - Magnaflow Street CB - ADM Race CAI - Pedders Xa Coilovers - Pfadt Sways
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
Yeah I aligned it the next day, and drives str8 as an arrow. Shoot IPS a pm, hell hook u up for sure. Pfadt has allignment specs on there site for street tires and good wear if you want to opt for there reccomendations. I did kind of a hybrid one and am gonna try it out for a few weeks to check out handling and tire wear.
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Jeanius


 
Jeanius's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Golden State
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
Yeah I aligned it the next day, and drives str8 as an arrow. Shoot IPS a pm, hell hook u up for sure. Pfadt has allignment specs on there site for street tires and good wear if you want to opt for there reccomendations. I did kind of a hybrid one and am gonna try it out for a few weeks to check out handling and tire wear.
Did you just give an alignment shop the specs?
__________________
2SS LS3 M6 - MGW - Dynatech LT's HF Cats - Magnaflow Street CB - ADM Race CAI - Pedders Xa Coilovers - Pfadt Sways
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #22
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,880
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Hey PQ, we should try and get a a group buy going with IPS

They had some real good prices on the last one just before the holidays
I'm going Pfadt. Was thinking ADM.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Rick2010
Chevrolet's & NY Yankees!
 
Rick2010's Avatar
 
Drives: ALL CHEVROLET'S
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Up State, NY
Posts: 82
Detroit Speed!!!!!
__________________
Rick2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
Info@PeddersUSA.com
 
Info@PeddersUSA.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,904
We bent the OE front end links with our testing using our front sway bars.So we have an adjustable end links that are 2 to 4mm thicker than OE, and the ballstuds are oversized as well. This will require drilling out the stud mounting holes 2mm larger. These units are HD and also come with all of our sway bars as well as separate. Pete's Camaro van pull 1.38gs with streetable tires, and our end links have performed perfectly

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #25
D1BADZ
hmmmmm
 
D1BADZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Did you just give an alignment shop the specs?
Yup, but we where a little easy on the rear toe, he thought it might be too agressive for daily driving and tire wear. so well see how it works
__________________
"Responsibility is a Heavy Responsibilty" (Cheech)

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.