Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
mega_man_01103
 
mega_man_01103's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Bragg/Pope AFB
Posts: 153
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
what about if you pay cash? could you expect the same markups?
cant you haggle that price?

i understand the markup. i dislike it but hey, its america, but nobody will turn down straight cash, will they?
mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_man_01103 View Post
what about if you pay cash? could you expect the same markups?
cant you haggle that price?

i understand the markup. i dislike it but hey, its america, but nobody will turn down straight cash, will they?
Cash, check, or credit doesn't matter. In fact if your financing with the dealer they get more money from you (interest) and deals with the financing company (% off the finance service, ect..)

Best bet is to search around and find the right dealer OR wait until production overtakes demand (I figure 6 months at the MOST).
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #20
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Cash, check, or credit doesn't matter. In fact if your financing with the dealer they get more money from you (interest) and deals with the financing company (% off the finance service, ect..)

Best bet is to search around and find the right dealer OR wait until production overtakes demand (I figure 6 months at the MOST).

True, but then the Convertable is realesed so demand for that will over take the coupe?
__________________
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
balonywolf
 
balonywolf's Avatar
 
Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 369
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
You know, I don't plan on getting a Camaro until Fall 09 at the earliest, so I'm not too worried about the markup. What bothers me is if the release of a desireable trim package coincides with my purchase. If a popular package comes out in that time frame, and I can afford it, then I might be screwed.

For the most part, though, I'm not sweating the markup.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,816
Yeah, the big unknown is trim package releases. Will the top performance variant be available along with all others at launch? Will it be released first like the Challenger? (probably not) or will it be launched later (like the Corvette). Although that is not why I'm waiting a couple years to buy, it is certainly a benefit to waiting a little longer.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #23
jims69camaro
 
jims69camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 camaro coupe; 1987 IROC z
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 08721-1716
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
But there will be other muscle cars on the market that GM has to compete for market share with like the Mustang and Challenger.
and the dealers couldn't give two whiffs of bad air about this. sure, GM is concerned with its ability to survive in a market where there is competition, but the dealer doesn't care. he only cares about selling cars and getting as much money from each sale as is possible.

typical scenario: a guy comes into a chevy dealership. he says, i have $X to spend, and i am looking at the mustang, challenger and camaro. the sales-wo/man takes him for a test drive. asks after if he likes the car. plays subtle mind games with words, like always saying "your car" instead of "the car" or something similar. customer says he has no trade-in and the transaction will be cash, no loan. salesman goes to "the desk" to "beat up on his sales manager" and "get you the best price for your car". he comes back with a monthly payment, ignoring your insistence that the transaction will be cash. asks probative questions like, can you afford $X per month. tries to trial-close the deal by saying, "if i could get your car for you at $X per month, would you drive it home today?" you haggle back and forth, then the salesman calls the closer in. the closer asks the same questions: did you like the car, can you afford $X per month, if i could sell it to you for $X per month, would you drive it home?, etc., but says things like this car is rare, not everyone has these, they are few and far between. all meant to put in your mind that you have to pay more for this car.

sound familiar? remember, this was a cash transaction, but the dealer kept insisting on $X per month. this is a typical way for the dealer to get more money out of you. that extra $15 per month that you agreed to over your budget means an extra $900 profit for the deal on a 5 year loan. more, if the loan term is longer.

cliff's notes: dealer only cares about how much money he can get from you. will use every trick in the book to get more money from you. will play the "this car is rare, not everyone has these, they are few and far between" to jack up the price, plays games with the monthly payment in order to get more money out of you.

to reiterate, dealers could care less about the new muscle car wars. they want money, and the more money they can get, the better they feel. my local dealer is notorious for gouging when it's possible. they call it taking advantage of an opportunity, i call it gouging the customer.

So on the Maybe Bad Deal List
Dealer Name: Ocean Chevrolet
Dealer location: Route 37 West, Toms River, NJ 08751
Dealer phone number: 732/244-8400 out of town call toll free: 800-728-1539
Dealer website: http://www.tomsriverautomall.com/
__________________
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #24
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg107 View Post
go through the internet sales department.... You can save alot of hassle and money. When I was looking for a truck, all the dealerships I went to the salesmen would try to pressure me and over price their vehicles. I went to carsdirect.com and got quotes from 4 dealerships, they were all a hell of a lot better!

Hell when I bought my subaru STi, the salesmen tried to charge me $6k over the price they had in a autotrader that was sitting on his freak desk!!! 4hours later and alot of yelling, I walked out for $2k under what they had listed. What was sad, Their was a lady who bought a used/older WRX for more then what I got my STi for!!!
Without a doubt you can get the best deal if you start with the internet sales department. I used to be the Internet Manager at a Chevy Dealership and they will quote you a much lower price than someone walking on the lot because they don't have you at their dealership yet. They know that you have probably contacted several other dealers at the same time and they need to be competitive to get you to even show up for a test drive. I am no longer in the car business as i have a much better paying job now, but the internet manager at a dealership is your best bet at a good deal.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #25
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
Without a doubt you can get the best deal if you start with the internet sales department. I used to be the Internet Manager at a Chevy Dealership and they will quote you a much lower price than someone walking on the lot because they don't have you at their dealership yet. They know that you have probably contacted several other dealers at the same time and they need to be competitive to get you to even show up for a test drive. I am no longer in the car business as i have a much better paying job now, but the internet manager at a dealership is your best bet at a good deal.
Having worked at a dealership myself, I can confirm this.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
'09-Z28
 
'09-Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Mazda 6s
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
Without a doubt you can get the best deal if you start with the internet sales department. I used to be the Internet Manager at a Chevy Dealership and they will quote you a much lower price than someone walking on the lot because they don't have you at their dealership yet. They know that you have probably contacted several other dealers at the same time and they need to be competitive to get you to even show up for a test drive. I am no longer in the car business as i have a much better paying job now, but the internet manager at a dealership is your best bet at a good deal.
I can confirm that too. I recently helped my sister-in-law buy her first car. I had a family member that worked at a dealership down the street from me, and he got us a family discount which was a pretty good price. But I decided to call some internet managers at other dealerships around the valley. I was shocked to find out that we could get the same car for more than $1k less than the family discounted price if we went through an internet manager. It's definitely the way to go.
'09-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #27
Sierra

 
Sierra's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 1,051
I have bought vehicles from a local delaership since 1990. I have an 18 year relationship with this guy. To bad that they dont sell Chevy's. I wonder if they can get one for me? I don't plan on getting one until early 2010 anyway. So if you are looking for a good deal on GMC, Pontiac or Buick then go to
Dealer Name: Arena Bucik Pontiac GMC
Dealer location: Route RT 30 Hammonton, NJ 08037
Dealer phone number: 609-561-0707
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post
typical scenario: a guy comes into a chevy dealership. he says, i have $X to spend, and i am looking at the mustang, challenger and camaro. the sales-wo/man takes him for a test drive. asks after if he likes the car. plays subtle mind games with words, like always saying "your car" instead of "the car" or something similar. customer says he has no trade-in and the transaction will be cash, no loan. salesman goes to "the desk" to "beat up on his sales manager" and "get you the best price for your car". he comes back with a monthly payment, ignoring your insistence that the transaction will be cash. asks probative questions like, can you afford $X per month. tries to trial-close the deal by saying, "if i could get your car for you at $X per month, would you drive it home today?" you haggle back and forth, then the salesman calls the closer in. the closer asks the same questions: did you like the car, can you afford $X per month, if i could sell it to you for $X per month, would you drive it home?, etc., but says things like this car is rare, not everyone has these, they are few and far between. all meant to put in your mind that you have to pay more for this car.
I'd turn around and walk away. Since you bring this to mind and I don't recall discussing it before, I have to mention another dealer.

When I was buying my first Camaro, I wasn't sure if I wanted a Firebird/TA or a Camaro. A bud of mine whom I worked w/ bought a brand new decked out Firebird right when they were released. It was gorgeous, so I wanted to go to their dealership and take a look/price.

Well, I get to Superior Pontiac in SA and get out of my car. I walk to the Firebirds for sale.....no stickers w/ prices to be found on them....only worksheets showing what the veh was built w/. Salesman comes over and I inquire about prices. He asks me to come inside. Well, I'm serious about buying, but am just shopping around at this point (gotta get those prices, you know?).

He comes back w/ papers in hand and asks me to sign some paperwork to release pricing info. I just about fell over. "I have to sign paperwork to get a price? Are you kidding me???" He tells me it's their company policy that they need to get a prospective buyers info and signiture in order to release pricing information on thier cars. I told him he needed no such info to give me the MSRP on a freakin car. He still refused to give me anything w/out a signiture. I told him their business practices were rediculous and I walked out saying I was going to the Chevy dealer to look at Camaros.

One week later, I pulled up to Superior Pontiac w/ a typed letter in hand driving my new Camaro. I saw the salesman outside, walked up to him, asked if he remembered me, and he replied that he did. I asked him, "you see that Camaro?" He replied that he did. "That's what happens when salesmen work w/ prospective buyers. All I asked for was the MSRP. I could be driving a Firebird right now." I handed him a letter (later realizing that I should have handed it to his manager) which complained about their "procedures" and how it was BS that they needed a signiture to release something as simple as a price which should have been on the window in the first place (like my Chevy dealer).

Due to that day and salesman, I will NEVER go back to Superior Pontiac.

BOOOOOOOOoooooooo....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #29
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by '09-Z28 View Post
I can confirm that too. I recently helped my sister-in-law buy her first car. I had a family member that worked at a dealership down the street from me, and he got us a family discount which was a pretty good price. But I decided to call some internet managers at other dealerships around the valley. I was shocked to find out that we could get the same car for more than $1k less than the family discounted price if we went through an internet manager. It's definitely the way to go.
This is how I bought my truck, and I got it for 4k less than the sticker on the window WITH new tires and a drop in bed liner.

My first try at my camaro will be through my bank they have a purchasing service that gets vehicles at 500 over invoice, no dealer, no loan issues, no haggling, So more time driving.(heck they even take my trade-in and I can test drive at the bank)
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
Georgianne
 
Georgianne's Avatar
 
Drives: chevys
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
This is how I bought my truck, and I got it for 4k less than the sticker on the window WITH new tires and a drop in bed liner.

My first try at my camaro will be through my bank they have a purchasing service that gets vehicles at 500 over invoice, no dealer, no loan issues, no haggling, So more time driving.(heck they even take my trade-in and I can test drive at the bank)
WHO IS YOUR BANK?
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
shibbychevy15
I'm your Huckleberry!
 
shibbychevy15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AConn View Post
I'm going to purchase my car through my credit union. They will negotiate the price and it should be a few hundred over invoice.
hey man how does this work? do you just go into the credit union and tell them what you want and they get it from the dealer or are you talking about a preapproval loan from them?!?!

Cheers!!
shibbychevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
That sounds sweet!!! I'm down!
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #33
jhitson
 
jhitson's Avatar
 
Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 78
Rodgers-Fore Chevrolet
1272 Highway 321 N
Lenoir City, TN 37771
(865) 988-0600

I talked to these idiots about a month and a half ago. They claim that the base camaro will start at 42000-43000 and top will be 60000-65000. I told the sales manager that he is f-ing crazy, i could get a vette for that. Of course he said that I couldn't because the vette starts at 74000.

Stay away, far, far away!
jhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,079
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
Rodgers-Fore Chevrolet
1272 Highway 321 N
Lenoir City, TN 37771
(865) 988-0600

I talked to these idiots about a month and a half ago. They claim that the base camaro will start at 42000-43000 and top will be 60000-65000. I told the sales manager that he is f-ing crazy, i could get a vette for that. Of course he said that I couldn't because the vette starts at 74000.

Stay away, far, far away!
Sounds like even though its a Chevy dealership, that guy was making sales for Dodge
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRP or below, Dealers KILLER74Z28 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 1318 09-10-2015 07:06 AM
Price gouging on 2010 Camaro already beginning! Tran Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 185 09-02-2009 01:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.