Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
donaldblake

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Wow!! 2011 Camaro SS needs pads and rotors

Took my car to the dealership to get an oil change and was told that my front brake pads and rotors need to be replaced and that it would cost me $700 for OEM fronts and rotors. I was told my fronts have 10% life and my rears have 25%. My car has 29,500 miles on it. I don't go to track, my car is seasonal (stored in winter) and every now and then I punch it. I'm reading other threads where people are getting around 40,000 miles. How do rotors need replacing at such a low mileage and with the first set of pads? Just sounded strange to me. I was looking at the Hawks ceramic, unknown on what type of rotors. Wouldn't it be better to change the front and rears at the same time? A friend of mine mentioned Wagner's which I never heard of on a camaro. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
donaldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Wow!! 2011 Camaro SS needs pads and rotors

If they are truly that worn wouldn't the wear indicators (audible) be pretty obvious?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 chevy & 2011 1SS/RS manual
if you want to hire it done, find you a good local mom and pop type shop. if you dont track and just drive normal, get the front rotors surfaced and put on pads. inspect the rear rotors and just add pads there if needed and the rotors look ok.
if you have the time and a few tools learn to do it yourself. you can get the rotors surfaced at an auto parts store if you look around. tire rack has a good selection of pads and so does amazon and parts houses. you could get front and rear done for under 250.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldblake View Post
Took my car to the dealership to get an oil change and was told that my front brake pads and rotors need to be replaced and that it would cost me $700 for OEM fronts and rotors. I was told my fronts have 10% life and my rears have 25%. My car has 29,500 miles on it. I don't go to track, my car is seasonal (stored in winter) and every now and then I punch it. I'm reading other threads where people are getting around 40,000 miles. How do rotors need replacing at such a low mileage and with the first set of pads? Just sounded strange to me. I was looking at the Hawks ceramic, unknown on what type of rotors. Wouldn't it be better to change the front and rears at the same time? A friend of mine mentioned Wagner's which I never heard of on a camaro. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Post a couple of pictures, especially with detail toward the outer edge of the rotor please.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
LCPLPunk

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS
700???? Good lord, removing that stuff is cake.
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
BurnedRubber

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
$700 is definitely way to expensive for just the fronts. i did baer drilled and slotted and hawk pads all the way around on mine for around $800 i think. but installed myself.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH...QmvSyHD_0XtM7Q
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
Check out Brakeperformance.com. I got drilled and slotted rotors and brake pads for all 4 corners for less than $400. Installed myself, easy to do.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

List price for front rotors and pads is $520 so I am not sure what the shock is at the installed price of $700.

Can you buy them for less online? Yep. Can you buy off brand junk for less? Yep.

A dealership service department has huge overhead. They cannot compete with the online guys. The average dealer pays more for the parts they buy from GM than the huge online discounters sell parts for retail.

If you came to my shop, I would sell you the GM parts at about 20% off retail or roughly $100 less than the dealership. You would leave with OEM quality brakes, which in the case of the Camaro is higher quality, better stopping power than most of what is sold in the aftermarket short of track ready brake pads.

Can we stop now?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Other option is aftermarket. I do not support R1 Concepts but feedback here has been pretty good.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456415

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Other option is aftermarket. I do not support R1 Concepts but feedback here has been pretty good.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456415
The good pads they sell are $200 and up. Take the rotor price and cut in half as they sell front and rears together and we end up at $420 for parts. A hundred less than the dealer. The point I am making is the dealer pricing wasn't outrageous.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I paid $746 not installed for pads rotors and TTY bolts for all 4 corners.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
if you want to hire it done, find you a good local mom and pop type shop. if you dont track and just drive normal, get the front rotors surfaced and put on pads. inspect the rear rotors and just add pads there if needed and the rotors look ok.
if you have the time and a few tools learn to do it yourself. you can get the rotors surfaced at an auto parts store if you look around. tire rack has a good selection of pads and so does amazon and parts houses. you could get front and rear done for under 250.
My mechanic will not turn/resurface the Camaro rotors. He says they are
very thin to start with- Not like the old days. Replace them IMO.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Yea what's up wth that. Had a great machine shop back home. Now you can't find a place to turn rotors. I am doing rear brakes on my truck Friday bought a package with pads and slotted rotors (EBC).

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: your mom wild
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I paid $746 not installed for pads rotors and TTY bolts for all 4 corners.
OP - This sounds about right if you shop around on the internet. You can get OEM parts for reasonable prices. I think I could end up with the same (pads, rotors, and bolts) for under $500. The stock brake setup is superb as it is and you should be able to get two sets of pads worth of life out of the rotors before they need turned.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379881