Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
TRIXXTERR

Drives: 96 Z28
Question Touch-Up Paint??

Well? Does Anybody have experience with this paint?? I Have Seen a few peoples attempts(sp?) at doing this and it looks like SH!T. Like Someone Slapped Some fingernail polish on there. Clumps, Brush streaks, ETC. Anyone with a possitive outcome with the stuff?? Got some chips,road dings I Wanna take care of (if Someone Has any advice) before INDY..

any secret ways of applying, curing, finishing...Would be greatly apreacated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FbodFather
In light of the recent comments concerning Camaro, and the increased excitement as it finally comes to market, please take a moment and read the following closely;

Remember- "It ain't ready 'til it's ready!" Just because we show it to you early, doesnít mean itís ready.
TRIXXTERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You could try to sand it down. That's about it. The proper fix is of course much more complicated than the nailpolish fix.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Those touch ups are only good at keeping the rust from starting until you can get a proper fix.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Aye the only real fix is to sand down the whole area, reprimer, sand again, paint, clear, sand, polish etc. It can be done if you have a garage to do it in.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
TRIXXTERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
About how much would it cost to have my whole car professionally sanded down, and repainted?
When I Checked for my 83 CAMARO I had.. The Appraiser Said. STARTING AROUND 4,000-6,000.. Yeah STARTING.. Just for a Basic Paintjob..AND That was for just a shell.. i had allready planned to strip the car, and trailer it in..

So for a good quality paint..dunno I Guess somewhere around 6-8 Grand?? Anyone??

Quote:
In light of the recent comments concerning Camaro, and the increased excitement as it finally comes to market, please take a moment and read the following closely;

Remember- "It ain't ready 'til it's ready!" Just because we show it to you early, doesnít mean itís ready.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
TRIXXTERR

Could Always go to MAACO.. http://www.maaco.com/paint-overall.aspx# Although i would say..YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..

Quote:

Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR View Post
Could Always go to MAACO.. http://www.maaco.com/paint-overall.aspx# Although i would say..YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..
Yup. Unless you bring the car to them in pieces, you'll find paint lines, overspray, and whatnot everywhere. I'm not putting them down, however, unless the car is put close to the condition it was in when it was painted at the factory (i.e. all trim and hard parts removed for the most part) you won't get a factory look.

For example, if you have damage on the front bumper cover, you'll look at an easy $500 because you have to overhaul the entire cover (which includes removing/installing it); actually repair the damage; seal/prime/block/refinish/buff the entire cover (well, seal/prime/block the repair area); and then bolt it all back together. You'll be looking at tinting the color, paint materials, hazardous waste, and few other things.

If you have chips, try a toothpick. I've used them before for chips and they worked better and came out cleaner than the brushes in the little bottles.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
TRIXXTERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Yup.
If you have chips, try a toothpick. I've used them before for chips and they worked better and came out cleaner than the brushes in the little bottles.
Yeppers. CHIPS is what i got..The Biggest one Is a little Smaller Than a dime..Most are about the size of a BB or smaller..I would say around 15-20 in all.... And I'll Bet Everyone well any car enthusiast knows exactly where they are...Yeah you guessed it on the hood.

Hmm Toothpick..Huh. I'll Give It A Try on a hidden location to see if it looks ok. I know I'm Not Going To get it perfect match,smooth,ETC. just as long as it Isnt NOTICABLE from 15ft away. I think it will be ok. Wish I had The cash To get the hood redone.. Maybe some day..but then SOMEDAY I'll just get the whole thing redone..Yeah Someday..

Quote:

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
You could also try some model (1/24) detailing brushes too. At least your car is not a metallic so getting the color to match shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh yeah and be patient. It's always easier to put on more than it is to take off excess.

The going rate for a professional repaint is between $7-10k.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
TRIXXTERR

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
You could also try some model (1/24) detailing brushes too. At least your car is not a metallic so getting the color to match shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh yeah and be patient. It's always easier to put on more than it is to take off excess.

The going rate for a professional repaint is between $7-10k.
Yeah but It IS metallic... 96 Z28..I would say a Hunter greenMet ,or, Polo Green Met..
GM calls it..Medium Green Metallic..The touch up paint i used was Dupli-Color NG GM520 Med. GREEN MET.47, WA9539 GENERAL MOTORS. Factory Paint.
But At Any point.. I tried the toothpick idea..worked well on the small chips.THANX for the advice. Another cool thing about the dupli-color Touchup paint is that it has a roller tip like a ballpoint pen. That was really good for getting the med sized ones. Over all I say My experiment was a success.

1. Its not NOTICABLE 15ft away.
2. Upclose it looks like the clear has chipped away, But Looks Decent.
3. This Stuff DRIES REALLY FAST..Like in 15 seconds the lil dab,Drop( Whatever you wanna call it) was dried.

I Guess If You take your time and be patient. it can be done and look OK.Alil goes a long way.. I guess i should have mentioned in the earlier post all the affected chips were to the primer level, a few were to the metal. the ones on the leading edge of the hood were to the metal. BUT I am happy with the results.. and will be satisfied until i get the hood redone..Wish i would have gotten before/after pix..

MISSION ACOMPLISHED..

Quote:

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR View Post
Yeah but It IS metallic... 96 Z28..I would say a Hunter greenMet ,or, Polo Green Met..
GM calls it..Medium Green Metallic..The touch up paint i used was Dupli-Color NG GM520 Med. GREEN MET.47, WA9539 GENERAL MOTORS. Factory Paint.
But At Any point.. I tried the toothpick idea..worked well on the small chips.THANX for the advice. Another cool thing about the dupli-color Touchup paint is that it has a roller tip like a ballpoint pen. That was really good for getting the med sized ones. Over all I say My experiment was a success.

Sorry from your avatar I incorrectly assumed your Z was black. Glad you're happy with the results!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
TRIXXTERR

Nahh. I ALMOST Bought a Black Z. But decided aginst it..Way Too hard to keep Clean Here in central texas.. The Dirt is so Light. I would have to wash daily..
But Now If someone were to give me the car in my avatar. then hell yeah.but would only drive it on nice days..since there is a limited # of true INTIMIDATOR SS's.

Quote: