Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 01-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 RS 2SS 1LE
New Tires

What are your thoughts on replacement tires? Stick with the Good Year's or Michelin, Pirelli, Mickey Thompson mudders (I am in the south hahaha)?
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
IMO, Depends on how you use your car. How many miles on your current set?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
ilir14

Drives: camaro ss 1le
I just got my set of good years but i should of got a set of michelin pilot super sport
ilir14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 RS 2SS 1LE
Daily Driver, The car only has 1000 miles on it, but I was thinking of getting a set that'll work better for the Northwest Florida winter... 40's - 50's, rain and occasionally teens and 20's. I have other cars to drive for really bad weather, I just really enjoy driving the 1LE whenever I can.
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I know I really like my Michelin PSS's. They grip really well and they handle the cooler temps much better than the Good years did. I have not had them very long so I can't comment on tread wear but they are rated at a 300 tread wear I believe vs. the GY 220 tread wear rating. From what other people have said they get very good tread wear mileage from their PSS's. I don't think you will be disappointed with PSS's. There are even many autocross people on here that use PSS's because they just work well and are good on the street.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Has anyone seen any good prices on F1's?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black SS RS 1LE
Check with your dealer. Mine quoted me $235 a tire with $60 to mount/balance all four. I have the PSS and while there are a lot of people here that like them my wife and I cannot wait to get them off the car and go back to the F1's the car came with. The PSSs don't hook up for me at all. We're about half life or a little less on them now. I'll keep them just for the winter months. Summer is made for F1s in the south.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I was about to say Michelin AS3's until you said you have another ride for heavy rain. Go with pilot super sports. Everyone seems to love them and last longer than the good years.

I went with AS3's here in North Texas, perfect for a day like today, 40 degrees and raining.
Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
jwmarler48

Drives: 2014 camaro 1LE RRM
I switched from stock F1's to michilen SSP , the ride quality is much better but I did prefer the look of the goodyears.
jwmarler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
backeddy

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Has anyone seen any good prices on F1's?
Corner, you can get them for $226 each SHIPPED on Amazon. The 226 price comes/goes, but seldom are they over 240.
Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM   #11
vonrebel

Drives: 2015 G7C 1LE 2SS RS Recaro Nav Sunr
I just replaced all 4 Goodyear tiers with 4 new 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport A / S 3's. Right away the ride was quieter and a bit smoother, held a straight line easier on the highway, and as advertised are night and day better (traction) in the cold with light rain in the city. On the highway, the Goodyear's by far change lanes better, with near instant responsiveness, where as the AS3'S are a little soft. The responsiveness was a bit disappointing based on tire racks survey comparing the two tires, based on tire racks survey you would think the AS3'S would be the more responsive tire. The AS3'S IMHO out performs the good years in every area except responsiveness and that was an expected trade off. But base on tire racks surveys, I thought maybe the AS3'S would be equally responsive but we're not. I've put about 200 miles on the AS3'S and have only driven them in 50 degrees down to 29 degrees and only in light rain. I do miss the crisp responsiveness of the Goodyear because that's what makes the 1le fun to drive, I'm considering swapping the AS3'S for the Michelin pilot super sport summer tires to compared the differences. I'm getting accustom the the as3's, they are for sure a solid tire and would highly recommend then as an alternative, but plan on giving up about 15% responsiveness as best I can so far tell. 70 degrees and above the AS3'S may grip 15% better, if so then I'll be completely happy with the A/S 3 's
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #12
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible Triple Black
PSS's. The Michelin has a 30k warranty also.
SS PANTHER is online now   Reply With Quote