Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
Drag wheels width..

Going crazy trying to figure all this out. After tons of research I just decided screw it and bought some z06 reps 18x9.5" . Then went to purchase some H&M 325/45/18 and the guys over there told me now way, don't run that tire on a 9.5, run our 275 it will be peffect and hook great"...

Huh, a 275? Ive ran the stock zl1 305 and now running 315 PSS 2s and they're a JOKE for traction. Given ....theyre not DR tires but still... I can't imagine a 275 dr is gonna cut it. I've got a few grand in mods on theyre way so I'm trying to get this tire/wheel combo cleared up ASAP so I can worry about installing gofast parts lol.

So should I return the 9.5 z06 wheels and go for something wider to fit a bigger tire or you think ill be fine? I'll be around 700rwhp after getting all the goods in. Keep in mind, money is an issue here, otherwise I'd be rocking some 15" welds. I've never been into drag racing before so most of it is all new to me and only recently been going to the track so please educate me if you feel the need.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,245
Definitely return them. The offsets probably won't fit anyway.

Go at least 10.5 wide and get some Mickey Thompsons

....and here's a great thread for you. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392950

....and here's a good replica for you especially if you have the black ZL1 wheels. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379333

Recommended 18" Tires for 2010 Camaro
245/55-18 = 28.6" tall, 8.0-8.5 wheel
255/55-18 = 29.0" tall, 8.0-8.5 wheel
265/50-18 = 28.4" tall, 8.5-9.0 wheel
275/50-18 = 28.8" tall, 9.0-9.5 wheel
285/45-18 = 28.1" tall, 9.5-10.0 wheel
295/45-18 = 28.5" tall, 10.0-10.5 wheel
305/45-18 = 28.8" tall, 10.0-11.0 wheel
315/45-18 = 29.2" tall, 10.5-11.0 wheel
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Definitely return them. The offsets probably won't fit anyway.

Go at least 10.5 wide and get some Mickey Thompsons

....and here's a great thread for you. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392950

....and here's a good replica for you especially if you have the black ZL1 wheels. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379333

Recommended 18" Tires for 2010 Camaro
245/55-18 = 28.6" tall, 8.0-8.5 wheel
255/55-18 = 29.0" tall, 8.0-8.5 wheel
265/50-18 = 28.4" tall, 8.5-9.0 wheel
275/50-18 = 28.8" tall, 9.0-9.5 wheel
285/45-18 = 28.1" tall, 9.5-10.0 wheel
295/45-18 = 28.5" tall, 10.0-10.5 wheel
305/45-18 = 28.8" tall, 10.0-11.0 wheel
315/45-18 = 29.2" tall, 10.5-11.0 wheel
Okay, uuggghhhh. Knew I should have waited. I called the zl1 rep company this morning and almost bought the 18x11 but though I'd just go ahead and save a few hundred and go with the 9.5s obviously not thinking. I bought them off eBay, hoping I can do a cancel I don't think they've been shipped yet.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
And then I think I'm gonna go with m&h 325/45/18. They seem to be pretty popular around here and they're reasonably priced and their not too tall. Wanted the hoosiers but nearly 30"...not gonna work
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
And then I think I'm gonna go with m&h 325/45/18. They seem to be pretty popular around here and they're reasonably priced and their not too tall. Wanted the hoosiers but nearly 30"...not gonna work
You're really set on that 325... I wouldn't go over 315 max. Remember you're going to be letting air out of these tires 16-20 psi so I'd be careful about 325 if they even fit inside the fender wells.

Here's a 305 on a 10.5" wheel

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  85.8 KB
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
Those wheels man...Nice! How much did that setup run you?
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
Those wheels man...Nice! How much did that setup run you?
I got them before the price increase but I think they were 500-600 each. With tires lugs TPMS I probably spent 3,500 for the setup.
Here's a link to more pics...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1096
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
D3R3K
Sittin side ways
 
D3R3K's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington,Tx
Posts: 207
Why not run a 17" wheel with the 325/45/17 M&H?
__________________
850+hp club member
Procharger F1-A
D3R3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
Okay, was able to cancel the vette reps and ordered the factory reproductions 18x11 and m&h 325/40/18 tires. Both companies were great and answered all my questions without rushing me. SO stoked to get some stickies it's gonna be awesome. Got a bunch of parts ordered right now I'm gonna be busy getting all this stuff in then I've got to get a tune. Thanks guys
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R3K View Post
Why not run a 17" wheel with the 325/45/17 M&H?
If you're not going slicks there's no reason to cut it so close with a 17" wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
Okay, was able to cancel the vette reps and ordered the factory reproductions 18x11 and m&h 325/40/18 tires. Both companies were great and answered all my questions without rushing me. SO stoked to get some stickies it's gonna be awesome. Got a bunch of parts ordered right now I'm gonna be busy getting all this stuff in then I've got to get a tune. Thanks guys
Hope those 325's work for you. I'm thinking inner fender well will rub, but I could be wrong.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Fishinfirefighter
 
Drives: Zl1
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ftw Texas
Posts: 102
The m&h are a "true" 28" tall tire according to the phone call had with tech over there so I think it should clear....hope so lol
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
TIREKLR
 
TIREKLR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 zl1
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 289
Post up some pictures and how they fit when you get them in I am very interested in the setup you are going to be running
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
2013 ZL1 #7860

 
2013 ZL1 #7860's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longmont, Co
Posts: 1,216
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460799

Mine are for sale and ready to ship if your interested.
Proven setup! Max Traction in a 20" and will match your fronts.

I went to a 15" setup and need these gone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
Going crazy trying to figure all this out. After tons of research I just decided screw it and bought some z06 reps 18x9.5" . Then went to purchase some H&M 325/45/18 and the guys over there told me now way, don't run that tire on a 9.5, run our 275 it will be peffect and hook great"...

Huh, a 275? Ive ran the stock zl1 305 and now running 315 PSS 2s and they're a JOKE for traction. Given ....theyre not DR tires but still... I can't imagine a 275 dr is gonna cut it. I've got a few grand in mods on theyre way so I'm trying to get this tire/wheel combo cleared up ASAP so I can worry about installing gofast parts lol.

So should I return the 9.5 z06 wheels and go for something wider to fit a bigger tire or you think ill be fine? I'll be around 700rwhp after getting all the goods in. Keep in mind, money is an issue here, otherwise I'd be rocking some 15" welds. I've never been into drag racing before so most of it is all new to me and only recently been going to the track so please educate me if you feel the need.
__________________
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
The m&h are a "true" 28" tall tire according to the phone call had with tech over there so I think it should clear....hope so lol
It's not the tall I'm talking about. It's the width on the inside fender well. 325 is too wide.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.