Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
No additional discount allowed beyond GM supplier?

Heya folks,

I've been digging around this forum for a while now and I'm coming up blank with how I could possibly search for my situation so I apologize if it's been answered already.

I just stopped at a dealer nearby and more or less laid out that I'll buy a Camaro with these options at this price, here's my discounts, what can you do? (I realize I did it backwards by offering my discounts up front but I had such a disappointing experience at the last dealer I visited about a month ago that I just want this done)

So here's what I asked for:
1SS / RS
Manual
MSRP: 32,995
Supplier discount: 32,178
USAA 750 discount: 31,428

The salesman was right with me and very agreeable all the way through this part even with the car having to be ordered. One point he made is that the USAA discount is applied after tax as a "coupon", is this true? Difference is only like $50 but I'd like to be sure.
Next, I said I'll sign the papers right now for $31,000 and he pretty much locked up, even after a chat with his manager. The excuse was that they are absolutely not allowed to give any discounts once the GM supplier discount comes into play. The USAA discount works because it is a "coupon" but he couldn't give me a single extra dollar off the base price of the car.

Frankly, $400 doesn't seem like a lot to ask but in the grand scheme of things probably won't kill the deal for me. But I'd like to know if his statement that they can't make any additional savings after the GM supplier discount comes into play is true? In the worst case I have a dealer that will honor the supplier + USAA discount, at best I guess I couldn't do any better.
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
plastrd the USAA discount does indeed come off after taxes. At least it did for me. Other rebates I've gotten have been the same way.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
Heya folks,

I've been digging around this forum for a while now and I'm coming up blank with how I could possibly search for my situation so I apologize if it's been answered already.

I just stopped at a dealer nearby and more or less laid out that I'll buy a Camaro with these options at this price, here's my discounts, what can you do? (I realize I did it backwards by offering my discounts up front but I had such a disappointing experience at the last dealer I visited about a month ago that I just want this done)

So here's what I asked for:
1SS / RS
Manual
MSRP: 32,995
Supplier discount: 32,178
USAA 750 discount: 31,428

The salesman was right with me and very agreeable all the way through this part even with the car having to be ordered. One point he made is that the USAA discount is applied after tax as a "coupon", is this true? Difference is only like $50 but I'd like to be sure.
Next, I said I'll sign the papers right now for $31,000 and he pretty much locked up, even after a chat with his manager. The excuse was that they are absolutely not allowed to give any discounts once the GM supplier discount comes into play. The USAA discount works because it is a "coupon" but he couldn't give me a single extra dollar off the base price of the car.

Frankly, $400 doesn't seem like a lot to ask but in the grand scheme of things probably won't kill the deal for me. But I'd like to know if his statement that they can't make any additional savings after the GM supplier discount comes into play is true? In the worst case I have a dealer that will honor the supplier + USAA discount, at best I guess I couldn't do any better.
ask for a clear bra to applied to the car instead of the $400.00 discount.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
What I would suggest you do is go to edmunds.com and look at their auto loan calculator. I think it will answer your question about when the 750 USAA discount gets applied.

As far as discounts, sounds about right. From everything I know and have read not a whole lot of money making room on these cars perse. So imho his statement doesnt sound untrue. Depending on your situation and how qualified you are, you may be able to press to negotiate (credit, financing ability, down payment ect).

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrestrictedmotorsports View Post
ask for a clear bra to applied to the car instead of the $400.00 discount.
Actually I asked them to throw in an extra set of snow tires instead if they couldn't give me the cash, not looking forward to the extra $1k to drive it in the winter so anything helps there.
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
plastrd what I did was go to a second dealer and got the 2 to compete. I got another quote and then the first dealer dropped another $680 off the price of mine below invoice. I found getting dualing dealers to be helpful to me.

One other thing, when I placed my order the $500 "no return" incentive was in place by GM. Neither dealer knew if that would still be in effect when I got the car. The first dealer guaranteed that $500 discount whether GM was still offering it or not. I was fortunate there. That discount was discontinued in early January. So, in the end, I got a better deal from my dealer of $1160 below invoice.

Don't be in a huge hurry if saving a bit more is important to you. It's worth shopping around.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Emma, You actually got your 2SS/RS at $1160 below dealer invoice, or did you mean below MSRP? If it was below invoice, it was a really great deal... Invoice on a 2SS/RS is already at least $1500 off MSRP.

I calculated that the preferred (supplier) pricing and the USAA discount only takes you to about $300 below invoice so the dealer would have to knock off another $1200 or so.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Here in Michigan, you have to buy something before you get a 'rebate'. So, yes...the $750 comes off AFTER tax is applied.

They are correct with their statement that they are not allowed, under GM's rules, to discount at all when giving the 'Supplier' pricing. That is how GM keeps a level playing field with dealers. It is the same price for an employee if they buy here in Michigan or California.

Supplier pricing is a GREAT price on a Camaro! They are worth every penny of MSRP!! Supplier minus the USAA $750 is an AWESOME deal. Remember, there are STILL dealers out there charging OVER sticker price, or that don't allow any discounts or rebates and charge MSRP.

Now go get that Camaro ordered...spring is just around the corner!! lol
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
What I CAN do is give you FULL TANK of PREMIUM fuel to go along with that new Camaro!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
whitehorse

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
You can get the car for lower than the supplier price. After about a week of haggling between two dealers. I bought my 2SS for 1064.00 below supplier price. Keep working on them.
whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
IConnection

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
There sitting on lots here in Phila,some dealers are giving 500 off sticker right on the car before even talking...I know I can get supplier and 1,000 for owning a Pontiac until March 2nd and then new incentives come out...

IN APRIL 2010's left on lots should go at GOOD PRICES....

2011 can be ordered end of April, there might be some new colors and a few new options....
Sight tight and wait for the 2010's to discount------------------------------------------------> IT WILL HAPPEN
IConnection is offline   Reply With Quote