Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Z/28, will it have a forged rotating assembly?

I've searched around and didn't see a solid guess/answer. I also looked up the cts-v and google is giving me alot results about forged wheels.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
depends on what motor the z28 will come with....
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
The LSA (CTS-V engine) does not have forged internals, so assuming that becomes the Z28 engine one day, I doubt seriously they will change it significantly.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
rayhawk is correct. The CTS-V LSA engine still has hypereutectic pistons, so not forged internals. Only the LS9/ZR1 comes forged.
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
El-Diablo

I would expect they'll shove the CTS-V drivetrain in. I did find a motor trend article today, CTS-V has pm rods and hyper pistons. Thanks for the quick replys guys.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Have you read the Feb Motor Trend? They say LSA-supercharged engine in the Z28
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Have you read the Feb Motor Trend? They say LSA-supercharged engine in the Z28
you mean this one

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rns/index.html

from Feb of 2009?

or maybe this one from Sept of 2009?

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/..._go/index.html

thats the thing with certain publications... scratch that.... most publications.... is that they'll print anything to draw a crowd/viewers. if they are wrong, they'll retract their statements.

no harm no foul. but as of yet, there is no official confirmation of a Z28 with or without an LSA. for that matter, there is no official confirmation of a Z28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Although I really would like to see the Z/28 have forged internals, I just want the damn thing produced so I can buy one. Beggers can't be choosers I guess.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White-Stock for now.

2002 Camaro SS M6 #8815 SOLD
First Street Dominator 427ci. built by: Mike @ Rapid Motorsports.
572rwhp 506rwtq through an s60
Spohn Suspension...Thanks Steve.
LS7 heads touched up by Richard @ WCCH.

Past rides- 1997 SVT Cobra-2004 SVT Cobra-Factory 1972 Nova SS
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I heard that it's going to have a new engine with forged internals and direct injection. a little birdy told me.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
LSA shares many features from LS9, like the forged crank, heads, block, and oil spray piston cooling. True, it doesn't have forged steel rods or pistons, but they do have PM rods which should hold up to a fair amount.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
LSA shares many features from LS9, like the forged crank, heads, block, and oil spray piston cooling. True, it doesn't have forged steel rods or pistons, but they do have PM rods which should hold up to a fair amount.
A lot of the perception surrounding "forged" items is...imo...exaggerated. Hypereutectic pistons are not inferior, rather intended for different purposes. Besides, it's all a moot argument anyways because FEW people will ever need/want/go beyond 600-700 crank hp, and the LSA can handle those levels easily.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
A lot of the perception surrounding "forged" items is...imo...exaggerated. Hypereutectic pistons are not inferior, rather intended for different purposes. Besides, it's all a moot argument anyways because FEW people will ever need/want/go beyond 600-700 crank hp, and the LSA can handle those levels easily.
this guy would. lol.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
04ssSilverado

Drives: above `12 zl1 #780
don't care.my ls3 goes to 11.lol
04ssSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
this guy would. lol.
I suspect this guy would also "pay to play"...instead of expecting everything for nothing.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Wouldnt be a big deal to me since i wouldnt plan on doing much more than a cam and exhaust swap on anything id buy, my only prefference would be an N/A engine over an FI engine, the new LSX454 caught my eye but idk if it has forged internals or not, maybe i'll look into that...

Yep, forged pistons and rods \m/
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
I suspect this guy would also "pay to play"...instead of expecting everything for nothing.
also have already paid to play and paid the ultimate price lost my f-body while playing =O( blew the engine and yea. . .
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
We know too little about the Z28, including whether it exists for certain, to know something this specific.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #18
El-Diablo

Quote:
It's not a moot argument, it's very relevant to someone who wants to make serious power and work with a car that can handle it without a full rebuild being necessary.

I'm going to disagree with the bold statement as well, there is a market for people interested in surpassing the 600 wheel horsepower mark. You probably are under the assumption that their isn't because you don't see many people doing it here. Most likely because their tuner is telling them not to go that far unless they want to build their engine. Jump onto a Cobra forum and you will see a considerable amount of people making wheel horsepower in the 600-750 range, and some 800, 900, even 1000 horsepower in their 03/04 Cobras and GT500's on engines that many of which haven't had the valve cover off. And they're doing it because they can on the factory forged rotating assembly.

I'm not trying to make this into Ford VS Chevy bs argument. But they are comparable cars. We can also discuss GM vs GM. The ZR1 comes with a forged rotating assembly, I'm sure most can guess why.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #19
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
You guys are talking about the Z28 as if it exists........
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #20
El-Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
You guys are talking about the Z28 as if it exists........

Actually the other moderator has changed the topic to how some forged parts are over rated (which is why the ZR1 has them) and all stock LSa's can handle 600 wheel horsepower no sweat.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Those Caddy' guys probably would over the modest increase in noise from the forged pieces in LS9. Though, I think it's funny that GM's worried about what kind of Caddy' buyer would worry about a 556-horsepower car with a "noisy" engine, but I'm no expert. Regardless, I wonder how much $$$ is really saved with going the hyper' route instead of only using one piston for BOTH engines... It must have some significance Like you said - I think it'll handle those levels easily; I'd like to see who can test that out, lol!

Quote:
this guy would. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
It's not a moot argument, it's very relevant to someone who wants to make serious power and work with a car that can handle it without a full rebuild being necessary.

I'm going to disagree with the bold statement as well, there is a market for people interested in surpassing the 600 wheel horsepower mark. You probably are under the assumption that their isn't because you don't see many people doing it here. Most likely because their tuner is telling them not to go that far unless they want to build their engine. Jump onto a Cobra forum and you will see a considerable amount of people making wheel horsepower in the 600-750 range, and some 800, 900, even 1000 horsepower in their 03/04 Cobras and GT500's on engines that many of which haven't had the valve cover off. And they're doing it because they can on the factory forged rotating assembly.

I'm not trying to make this into Ford VS Chevy bs argument. But they are comparable cars. We can also discuss GM vs GM. The ZR1 comes with a forged rotating assembly, I'm sure most can guess why.
How big a market is that really? I know I'm one of those interested, but I really doubt I'd go much past 700 FWHP, if that much at all. I don't think because I'm not as ambitious as others that the car should be watered down, but enthusiasts don't usually sell cars; it's the public. If you give the public the car they want first, I think the enthusiast has a better opportunity to get his/hers. Don't get me wrong - I'd love an engine that would support what Cobras have/do, but the percentage of those that would take advantage of that safety factor is probably relatively small, in the big picture. If they can do it for the right price, I'm all for it

Quote:
Actually the other moderator has changed the topic to how some forged parts are over rated (which is why the ZR1 has them) and all stock LSa's can handle 600 wheel horsepower no sweat.
Umm... no. The "other" Mod' didn't change anything, rather emphasized the fact that with so many complaining about the hyper' pistons in LSA make it totally inferior to the forged pieces in LS9. While, ultimately, the forged pieces in LS9 will likely survive under a lot more serious conditions than those in LSA, there's nothing as wrong with them as many people would like to try to make others that don't know, believe. Consider the pistons in LS3 are hypers' too, and look at the power they're living under with all the SC and sinle-T and TT kits out there. Sure, I'd prefer LS9 pieces over LSA's, but I really don't think the market would support how much I think that would add over any alleged LSA'd Z28; shoot, I think the market will be relatively slim with LSA for that matter! It was never said that LS9 parts are overrated (perception was what was posted) - look again...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I never said ---....
Quote:
It was never said that LS9 parts are overrated (perception was what was posted) - look again...
Thank you.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:

Quote:
How big a market is that really? I know I'm one of those interested, but I really doubt I'd go much past 700 FWHP, if that much at all. I don't think because I'm not as ambitious as others that the car should be watered down, but enthusiasts don't usually sell cars; it's the public. If you give the public the car they want first, I think the enthusiast has a better opportunity to get his/hers. Don't get me wrong - I'd love an engine that would support what Cobras have/do, but the percentage of those that would take advantage of that safety factor is probably relatively small, in the big picture. If they can do it for the right price, I'm all for it
Quote:

I'm lost are we talking crank/flywheel or rear wheel hp. can be a big difference between the two. lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I'm lost are we talking crank/flywheel or rear wheel hp. can be a big difference between the two. lol.
I'm talking crank/flywheel...because that's how it's all advertised and rated.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #25
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
I'm talking crank/flywheel...because that's how it's all advertised and rated.
true but when you start modding the only way to really rate a modded car is rear wheel hp. so I can see the difference in how you all are talking. but it's easy to confuse the two. . .

go on a cobalt forum and FWHP stands for frontwheel horsepower. lol.