Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
kozzmo49

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs
Just installed the SCT tune

A few months ago I was in the market to buy a tuner, but couldnt decide on which one to purchase. Well i decided on SCT, due to the price and the custom tunes. The guys at gettorq.com were extremely helpful, especially since im not a very knowledgeable car guy- the deepest i could go into installing anything on my car was a cold air intake lol. Anyways, they were extremely helpful when it came on installing this tune. All i had to do was save my stock numbers into the programmer, transfer them to the computer, and email them to Paul at gettorq. I then told them what mods I had done to my car, which was simply the Cold Air Inductions CAI and the SLP loudmouth. He made a custom tune for my car, and emailed me the tunes back the next day. I was skeptical as to whether or not I would feel any difference, but let me tell you- I COULD INSTANTLY FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!! So just wanted to pass this on to anyone that was on the fence about which tuner to get for the price. This is a great bang for your buck... guaranteed.
kozzmo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Thanks for the kind words Mike, we are glad you are happy! Just to clarify, Mike was sent our TRUE CUSTOM mail order tunes for both 91 and 93 Octane not a device with the supplied SCT canned tunes. All of our tunes are engineered on our in house dyno.
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
But....how custom can an email tune be without datalogs?

I mean, basically, you take a stock or bolt on car, and strap it to the dyno (just like we do on our in house dyno.)

Then, you develop calibrations for that car for different octane levels (just like we do on our in house dyno).

Difference:

We have the ability to get all of those tunes into a tool that the end user can load in and use in the driveway, without the need to read info from the car or have to email anything.
Somehow, there is this perception that because the tune was emailed to you, it is 'custom', and I just don't see that...
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post

I mean, basically, you take a stock or bolt on car, and strap it to the dyno (just like we do on our in house dyno.)

Then, you develop calibrations for that car for different octane levels (just like we do on our in house dyno).

Difference:

We have the ability to get all of those tunes into a tool that the end user can load in and use in the driveway, without the need to read info from the car or have to email anything.
Somehow, there is this perception that because the tune was emailed to you, it is 'custom', and I just don't see that...
We develop our tunes on the dyno, for user specific modifications such as each specific brand cold air kit, various header brands, gear ratio's, octane levels, etc. We do not send out tunes that are for "cold air intakes", or "Performance 93" or an intake we have not actually tested and tuned in house. Our tune files would be labeled as "Cold Air Inductions Intake, Performance 93".

Because our tunes are sent out for those specific modifications such as a specific cold air intake they are "custom mail order tunes" not a generic canned tune.

If you are upset about my comments in your other thread, please do not be upset and understand I have nothing against Diablo or your product (I LOVE it for Dodge stuff). I would say the same about SCT's and Superchips generic out of the box tune files, I say the same about competitors Ford tunes as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Meister@Torq

Quote:

Difference:

If you were to tell me your tool supplies tunes for every specific intake, which is does not for GM or Dodge then you could argue the similarity between the files you send out .vs. ours or other tuners. Diablo, SCT, etc simply ship out devices with generic files for OCTANE LEVELS as you stated above
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Mike@DS

My argument is not with you per se, its the whole marketing idea that these are custom tunes.

Maybe its just me, but I feel a custom tune should be done in person, anything else, (especially without datalogs from the car) is as much of a guess as a canned tune, it just wasn't loaded to the tool before it shipped, so it becomes 'custom'....

This has been SCTs 'marketing ploy' in the Ford world for years, and I don't want to see it catch on here.

Loading a canned tune with a Predator and datalogging and adjusting it to YOUR vehicles needs is more of a custom tune than what we are discussing here, IMO.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
SSOOCH
"El Dictator"

Drives: 08 HHR SS, 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Meister@Torq

Quote:
My argument is not with you per se, its the whole marketing idea that these are custom tunes.

Maybe its just me, but I feel a custom tune should be done in person, anything else, (especially without datalogs from the car) is as much of a guess as a canned tune, it just wasn't loaded to the tool before it shipped, so it becomes 'custom'....

This has been SCTs 'marketing ploy' in the Ford world for years, and I don't want to see it catch on here.

Loading a canned tune with a Predator and datalogging and adjusting it to YOUR vehicles needs is more of a custom tune than what we are discussing here, IMO.
This is why these are sold as custom mail order tunes, not custom dyno tunes. If I was shipping my tunes on a Predator, I would still send them out as CUSTOM MAIL ORDER TUNES not use your pre-loaded tunes. Again, this has NOTHING to do with SCT .vs. Diablo I do the same for Dodge, Ford and of course GM.

Your tunes for cold air intakes simply add fuel to compensate for the increased diameter of the mass air housing. Every intake will have a different maf curve and why we develop tunes on our dyno for each intake.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Mike@DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post

Your tunes for cold air intakes simply add fuel to compensate for the increased diameter of the mass air housing. Every intake will have a different maf curve and why we develop tunes on our dyno for each intake.
I need to clarify this statement...

Our CAI tunes for the HEMIs simply richen the WOT mixture, as they are SD based applications, and use no MAF curve.
Our FORD CAI tunes are developed here in house, with extensive flow bench and dyno testing. The capability we have to develop MAF curves in house is second to none in this industry, thanks to our flow bench capabilities. This allows us to develop perfect 30 pt. MAF curves for any CAI on the market, and then test the curve in the real world on our dyno and on the street.

We do not currently, nor have we in the past, offered specific CAI tunes for any GM application.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Meister@Torq

Quote:
I need to clarify this statement...

Our CAI tunes for the HEMIs simply richen the WOT mixture, as they are SD based applications, and use no MAF curve.
Our FORD CAI tunes are developed here in house, with extensive flow bench and dyno testing. The capability we have to develop MAF curves in house is second to none in this industry, thanks to our flow bench capabilities. This allows us to develop perfect 30 pt. MAF curves for any CAI on the market, and then test the curve in the real world on our dyno and on the street.

We do not currently, nor have we in the past, offered specific CAI tunes for any GM application.

Thanks
Mike
I am very aware of your flow bench capabilities and how accurate it is. I am also very aware of your Dodge calibrations and how fueling is controlled, and of course the lack of a mass air meter....but it is all the same thing.

Simply adjusting the WOT mixture is one way to do it, or calibrating the VE tables for each intake, at wot and idle and part throttle is another way. Each intake will have different VE requirements just like a MAF based setup does (by the way, this applies to idle, and part throttle not just WOT). Both MAP sensors and MAF sensors are used to calculate air mass entering an I.C engine. Simply commanding "x" air fuel does not deliver "x" air fuel because your air mass calculations are still inaccurate. "Commanding "y" air fuel ratio, calibrating the VE/SD tables for "x" amount of airflow will deliver "y" air fuel ratio

Because we can offer specific calibrations for various intakes, intake and exhaust combo's, etc is the reason our tunes are true custom mail order tunes.

We can go on and on and on. Send me out a predator and I will offer the same tunes on your devices as custom tunes. The user will even have to select "custom tunes" under the option menu to get to those tunes ;-)
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
just purchased one from SCT also..... will let you know when it gets here... I cant wait!
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
just purchased one from SCT also..... will let you know when it gets here... I cant wait!
Just to clarify it was a SCT device purchased from us with our true custom tunes on it
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
It would seem to me that for each individual end user a canned tune installed, do some data logging, send log to tuner to adjust based on log would be the best short of a professional tune on a dyno. The adjustments made by the tuner are being made off of data logging from your car. To just send out a tune for say a CAI intake because that's what I have does not seem to be as efficient as adjusting a data log file specifically from my car.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Meister@Torq

Our tune files are pretty close that do not require many changes, if any once installed. We are happy to collect data and make changes if you do wish
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
its gettin' physical in here.

I ordered a Diabo Predator from Jannetty Racing.

Ted told me that DiabloSport dropped the ball and didnt ship my tuner and instead would send me an SCT X3 3400 for the same price for the trouble. Told me he'd make me a custom tune for my AIRAID CAI and MBRP Exhaust as soon as i send my log file to him.

I just installed it on my laptop and and updated to the latest firmware.

No comment on the tuner yet but i am excited to see how the car reacts since it reacted extremely well to the cai intake and cat-back exhaust i installed over the weekend

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
a custom tune should be done in person
A-freakin-men.

However... does any product really give you the full access to change the things that SHOULD be changed? Things like the MAF calibration, the injector data (ALL of it), idle control parameters, etc.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Mike@DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
A-freakin-men.

However... does any product really give you the full access to change the things that SHOULD be changed? Things like the MAF calibration, the injector data (ALL of it), idle control parameters, etc.
No...likely never will.

Thats why we have our CMR software available to qualified tuning shops which allows them to build custom tunes that can be loaded to the Predator or Trinity.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
No...likely never will.

Thats why we have our CMR software available to qualified tuning shops which allows them to build custom tunes that can be loaded to the Predator or Trinity.
That's more what I meant... do the shops doing custom tunes have the access to those parameters, and not neccessarily the end user. I can see the reasoning for not unlocking everything in the hand held to protect people from themselves.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Through CMR, You can not even imagine how many tables you have access too. It's pretty amazing. You can tune whatever you need to tune for the most part.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Through CMR, You can not even imagine how many tables you have access too. It's pretty amazing. You can tune whatever you need to tune for the most part.
I imagine it's similar to HP Tuners or EFI Live.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Yep has all the same function
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
Mike@DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
I imagine it's similar to HP Tuners or EFI Live.
Exactly, it is our own tuning suite, that creates files that can be loaded to a Predator or Trinity...we use it on everything from 1000+ rwhp Mustangs, 1000+ rwhp HEMIs, and, soon to come, a 1200 rwhp Vette...