Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
thejbyrd

Drives: My wife nuts with my obsession
2010 Camaro V6 vs. 4th gen Camaro Z28

This may be a silly question ,but if the 5Gen Camaro V6 has roughly 305HP...and the 4Gen approx. 325HP.... with some minor additions couldn't the 5Gen whoop the 4Gen? If so, that's just freakin' Crazy!
thejbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
I would doubt it since the new car is close to 400 pounds heavier, and less aerodynamic.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
thejbyrd

And more importantly could it beat a 2008 Mustang Gt?

It'd still give older stock Camaros' a run for their money....I mean... for a V6!!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
it would be a good run, but the 2010 v-6 lacks a little in the torque department. the LT1's had a flat torque power band starting at roughly 1800rpm that stayed right near 300ft lbs across the board, the LS1's were the same only they were even better in the top end department.

but that extra weight will have a lot to play with the lack of torque
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Yea it wouldn't be that close. The Lt1's were running 5.3-5.5 and like 13.9 1/4 miles. The LS1 was running about the same 0-60 but 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile.

This V6 will be lucky to go 6.1 and 15.0
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
ive seen stock LS1 4th gens running 12.90's and 13.00's. with good drivers it would be no race. with a good driver in the 5thgen and a shitty driver in the 4thgen it may be close
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
It actually IS going 6.1 and 14.5; which are early, conservative estimates. Look for something like 5.9 and 14.1 upon release or shortly thereafter.

No. It won't beat a 4th gen stock for stock, but with some minor modding it'll be close enough to depend on the driver -- which is close enough for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
They recently have been saying 14.2 stock for the V6. Which I think is around a 5.9 0-60.

Oh yea, no contest between these two.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Yeah, I've seen evidence of 4th gen F-bods in the 12s. High 12s, but 12s nonetheless.

We should make a sticky thread. The Camaro V6 will not beat: and list a bunch of cars and reasons why.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
thejbyrd

I find it funny that the current Mustang Gt being a V8 has 4 HP less than the Camaro V6(until the final release of info by GM). That's one hell of a V6. And judging by the reviews so far...the Camaro ,base or SS is a force to be taken seriously by others.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
It's only the horsepower rating. And it looks funny on paper, but in real world tests I think it'd be the Mustang owner laughing when he stomps a Camaro V6 owner who doesn't know any better than to think his car will smoke a V8 performance car. There's also torque to consider. And gearing and weight. The Mustang has advantages in at least two of those categories.

But yes, the numbers on paper look good for the Camaro and the fact that it has 304 hp will convince the uneducated to buy it for Mustang like performance (perhaps).

And let's not forget, as of right now the Mustang is awaiting a 2010 refresh that could come with some new engines that could potentially compete with the V8 Camaro. So the V6 will probably fall in place right where it should.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Pull up to the beach at spring break with a red Cam5 V6 base and a red Mustang GT V8 and I bet you a lot more chix will come out of the woodwork for the Camaro. The Mustang look is old and "done".. boring.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
thejbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Pull up to the beach at spring break with a red Cam5 V6 base and a red Mustang GT V8 and I bet you a lot more chix will come out of the woodwork for the Camaro. The Mustang look is old and "done".. boring.
Hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
It's only the horsepower rating. And it looks funny on paper, but in real world tests I think it'd be the Mustang owner laughing when he stomps a Camaro V6 owner who doesn't know any better than to think his car will smoke a V8 performance car. There's also torque to consider. And gearing and weight. The Mustang has advantages in at least two of those categories.

But yes, the numbers on paper look good for the Camaro and the fact that it has 304 hp will convince the uneducated to buy it for Mustang like performance (perhaps).

And let's not forget, as of right now the Mustang is awaiting a 2010 refresh that could come with some new engines that could potentially compete with the V8 Camaro. So the V6 will probably fall in place right where it should.
It's just nice to know that GM is listening to its consumers and fixing some past mistakes. Face it, this V6 will still rock out the competition regardless if it won't stomp a Mustang GT.Don't hate on the V6.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
Z28bryan

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
The v6 is going to be an all around great car but its not going to come close to beating a 4th gen ls1 car. 345HP (yes they make roughly 345 hp not 325). weigh less and more aerodynamic no comparison. However i think on a refinement, drivability, and quality i think the v6 is going to be way better then a 4th gen. but power wise the 4th gens were made to run and run fast and thats exactley what they do best.
Z28bryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
4thGenRocks
But 5th Gen FTW!

Drives: myself crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28bryan View Post
The v6 is going to be an all around great car but its not going to come close to beating a 4th gen ls1 car. 345HP (yes they make roughly 345 hp not 325). weigh less and more aerodynamic no comparison. However i think on a refinement, drivability, and quality i think the v6 is going to be way better then a 4th gen. but power wise the 4th gens were made to run and run fast and thats exactley what they do best.
/\ Agreed.

2009 Monterey Blue Nissan 370Z with Sports Package 6MT w/SynchroRev Match
4thGenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
We should make a sticky thread. The Camaro V6 will not beat: and list a bunch of cars and reasons why.
well thats easy, assuming people continue to find cars that have a similar power output:
  1. Torque
  2. Weight

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The 5th gen V6 will not keep up with the 4th Gen SS or Z28....just won't happen. It will get better gas mileage, that's for sure. BUT, keep up? nope. That's not that big of a deal, though. Because, you are getting a lot more hp than any other manufacturer AND it's loaded up w/ mandated safety things.

A 4th Gen SS or Z28? Built on different architecture...simple as that. It all comes down to weight. If you could have a V6 5th gen w/ the weight of a 4th gen.....OH boy.

That's not to say I'm ripping on the 5th Gen's V6 AT ALL. I mean....if it's good enough for the CTS.....c'mon. Need I say more?

The 4th gens were great....still are great. Light, nimble, and very quick. 12.74 w/ nothing major to my Z28 at all.....CAI, Lid, K & N, and exhaust. If I put slicks on there, it could have easily gone down below 12.5. The 4th gens motor was also under rated....prolly like our LS3 will be!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
The 5th gen V6 will not keep up with the 4th Gen SS or Z28....just won't happen. It will get better gas mileage, that's for sure. BUT, keep up? nope. That's not that big of a deal, though. Because, you are getting a lot more hp than any other manufacturer AND it's loaded up w/ mandated safety things.

A 4th Gen SS or Z28? Built on different architecture...simple as that. It all comes down to weight. If you could have a V6 5th gen w/ the weight of a 4th gen.....OH boy.

That's not to say I'm ripping on the 5th Gen's V6 AT ALL. I mean....if it's good enough for the CTS.....c'mon. Need I say more?

The 4th gens were great....still are great. Light, nimble, and very quick. 12.74 w/ nothing major to my Z28 at all.....CAI, Lid, K & N, and exhaust. If I put slicks on there, it could have easily gone down below 12.5. The 4th gens motor was also under rated....prolly like our LS3 will be!
That's definitely what I'm hoping for! Im kinda leaning towards it will have 422 to the wheels. GM is notorious for that.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
LS1 is a great engine and highly underrated. I dynoed 290/305 stock at the wheels. Ran 12.9 @ 107.5 with just a lid and catback. The V6 will make for a great bargain at $22K. I look forward to getting it as my daily.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
That's definitely what I'm hoping for! Im kinda leaning towards it will have 422 to the wheels. GM is notorious for that.
i wouldnt count on that.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Those were underated as well .. my 2001 SS bone stock dynoed 306rwhp and something like 323rwtq .. That was at the wheels .. that would be quite a bit more than advertised at the crank

Crowley
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
ehhh that's like 460ish at the crank.
You might see around 390-400 at the wheels though as I do think it's a little underrated
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejbyrd View Post
And more importantly could it beat a 2008 Mustang Gt?
no way stock for stock. Especially seeing that the Camaro V6 is expected to do 0-60 in 6.1-5.7 range and the 1/4 in 14.5-14.1

Mustang does 0-60 in 5.3-5.0 seconds and the 1/4 in 14.0-13.6 range stock. The Musgant V8 not only weighs a few hundred lbs less but it has way more torque...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yea it wouldn't be that close. The Lt1's were running 5.3-5.5 and like 13.9 1/4 miles. The LS1 was running about the same 0-60 but 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile.

Jusy by looking at the number's I think 6.1 is pretty conservative, I believe the Camaro will be capable of a 5.7-5.9 0-60 time and possibly a 14.1 if best, but just gotta wait and see... Maybe it'll surprise us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejbyrd View Post
I find it funny that the current Mustang Gt being a V8 has 4 HP less than the Camaro V6(until the final release of info by GM). That's one hell of a V6. And judging by the reviews so far...the Camaro ,base or SS is a force to be taken seriously by others.
You can't just judge a car off of it's HP, Mustang GT's 4.6V8 is cranking out way more torque vs the Camaro's V6... And the Mustang GT also weighs less...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
You can't just judge a car off of it's HP, Mustang GT's 4.6V8 is cranking out way more torque vs the Camaro's V6... And the Mustang GT also weighs less...

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.

anyone ever see the comercial for Handai or whoever that starts out with a burnout thru the smoke with the announcer saying "300 horsepower is fast"

no its not you f'n retard. 80% of semi trucks on the road today have 300hp. but it will sell the car cus 90% of people out there are stupid like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.

anyone ever see the comercial for Handai or whoever that starts out with a burnout thru the smoke with the announcer saying "300 horsepower is fast"

no its not you f'n retard. 80% of semi trucks on the road today have 300hp. but it will sell the car cus 90% of people out there are stupid like that.

Not only that, but it is the torque curve that really matters, which defines the hp curve by calculation. Peak hp numbers are meaningless, but they are all anybody looks at. I mean, how much time do you get to spend at peak hp-not much time at all. You have to have the torque to get to that point where the motor puts out decent power-and then you have to shift back out of that sweet spot. It is real easy to make high hp numbers that don't really translate into a quick car. More gears can help a smaller motor stay closer to that band but will never feel like a bigger displ. motor. V6 is nice but it is a different animal than the LS3.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote