Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Will there be a Z28 to compete with Shelby GT-350?

The March issue of Motor Trend has an article that states that there will be a new Shelby GT-350 coming out in the next six months. It will be a S/C version of their new 5.0 Coyote engine making 515+ HP. Will this, along with the existing GT-500 be enough to have GM bring the Z28 out with a 550+HP engine?
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
ljustin293


 
ljustin293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 15,089
that is the million dollar question
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
DarthNacho08's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fontana, California
Posts: 1,174
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
Fingers crossed that they do!
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Well I will tell you like this the GT-350 has nothing to do with Ford mass producing this car and will not have an effect on the status of the camaro as competition. The GT-350 will be a very limited edition (500 only I believe)car made by Shelby not FORD and will carry a high price tag, 63,000 I believe and thats with none of the options that Shelby is giving. So to answer your question no GM doesn't need to bring out a z-28 since the GT 350 is being built by Shelby. It's no different then FORD needing a car to compete against a Hennsey edition Camaro.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Well they don't need a Camaro to compete against the GT350, but they still need one to compete against the GT500.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Well they don't need a Camaro to compete against the GT350, but they still need one to compete against the GT500.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,885
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The March issue of Motor Trend has an article that states that there will be a new Shelby GT-350 coming out in the next six months. It will be a S/C version of their new 5.0 Coyote engine making 515+ HP. Will this, along with the existing GT-500 be enough to have GM bring the Z28 out with a 550+HP engine?
The Shelby GT350 is like the Roush 427 or Saleen S281. It is a modified Mustang GT. It is NOT coming directly from Ford, unlike the Shelby GT500. Heck, it costs more than a GT500. Anyway, GM doesn't need to even think about it. Leave that up to Ligenfelter, SLP, and all the others.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Shelby GT350 is like the Roush 427 or Saleen S281. It is a modified Mustang GT. It is NOT coming directly from Ford, unlike the Shelby GT500. Heck, it costs more than a GT500. Anyway, GM doesn't need to even think about it. Leave that up to Ligenfelter, SLP, and all the others.
Small fish; I think most of us have an idea of the potential for a GT500. I think that 350 isn't far from being topped-out, power-wise (maybe another 100 horsepower more, safely) and I've read some stuff that alludes to that. I think when the factory takes a project like ZR1, CTS-V, AND the GT500 serisouly, there are few stones unturned, and you can almost not reasonably beat the power, performance, durability, and longevity the factory can engineer (again - when they're really commited to). Like DG' said - the GT350 is for Berger, Hennessey, Lingenfelter, and SLP (among the MANY others ). If GM could make it work, I'm totally down, but I think they need to fry the bigger fish before being distracted by the smaller guppies j/k 'Stang guys :emoticon7:
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
gold5000000
 
gold5000000's Avatar
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 520
if you check page. 65 it says that the Z/28 will be coming out in late 2011...am i the only one confused as to why motortrend keeps giving release dates for the Z/28
__________________
Chevy by heat, ford by wallet, american all the way:
2005 Mustang GT
CAI, LOng tube headers, x pipe, Xcaliber tuner, Short throw shifter, Shaker 1000, American Racing Rims front:245 rear:285, Custom Red Stripes, 4.10 Rear, Tinted Windows, 325 rwhp, 320 rwtq
gold5000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold5000000 View Post
if you check page. 65 it says that the Z/28 will be coming out in late 2011...am i the only one confused as to why motortrend keeps giving release dates for the Z/28

to gain readers/viewers. kinda like Chicken little.... or the boy who cried wolf.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
hb35man
 
hb35man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Algona Washington
Posts: 314
Please don't flame me for this as it is just my personal observation of the car buying public. Their car must be whisper quiet on the inside and make a ferociuos howl on the out side.It must have a six jigawatt sound system,with eighteen inch subs,turn by turn navigation that displays HUD style on the inside of their special driving glasse.At least seven hundred horsepower and thirty miles to the gallon with a clutchless six speed transmission .Will there be a Camaro competitor for the GT 350 ? Sure there will. Take a eight hundred or so pounds of of electronic luxury and
" rich Corinthian leather " out of the thing and you're already there.
Elvis was thin and energetic then he became rich and fat and it killed him.
The Plymouth was thin and powerful in the '60's got fat and and it died.
I understand that CAFE standards dictate a lot of what we get to choose from automotive wise.Oh.... I forgot to mention that the mythical wonder car had to list for less than ten grand End of rant.

Last edited by hb35man; 02-07-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: additinonal words needed
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
305pride

 
305pride's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
to gain readers/viewers. kinda like Chicken little.... or the boy who cried wolf.
damn media
__________________
just call me alex. they make anti-me PSA's cos im dope lmao
305pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The March issue of Motor Trend has an article that states that there will be a new Shelby GT-350 coming out in the next six months. It will be a S/C version of their new 5.0 Coyote engine making 515+ HP. Will this, along with the existing GT-500 be enough to have GM bring the Z28 out with a 550+HP engine?
I think the SS is still a better performing car than the Shelby GT-350. It is more the GT 500 that they need to compete with. If GM was smart they would offer an auto transmission option for the Z28. Since more Autos sell than manuals in the US that would really put an edge on the competition for the Z28 vs GT500.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedarburg, WI
Posts: 6,805
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
November 2011

Tell M/T to quit quoting me!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,142
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Shelby products are not designed to compete with Chevrolets. Comparing Chevy to Shelby is like comparing Nickey Chicago to Ford. It's not the same thing. Shelby takes Mustangs and makes them faster. They do not report to the government in the same way that GM reports efficiency and safety ratings. The GT350 and GT500 are designed to compete with products by Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Tom Henry Racing, Nickey Chicago, and other aftermarket products.

Will Chevrolet make a Z28? All signs point to a future Z28, but GM is not officially confirming it. There are a lot of powerful people that want a Z28 or some other super Camaro, but we don't know for certain what will make this a reality. What we do know is that it will not have an engine that is going out of production and that it will be phenomenally powerful.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,885
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
I think the SS is still a better performing car than the Shelby GT-350. It is more the GT 500 that they need to compete with. If GM was smart they would offer an auto transmission option for the Z28. Since more Autos sell than manuals in the US that would really put an edge on the competition for the Z28 vs GT500.
How do you figure thats possible? More power, less weight, and the Camaro doesn't have any significant gearing, handling, or grip advantage. There is no indication that the Camaro should perform better. That said, a GT 350 will cost about 2x as much as an SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Shelby products are not designed to compete with Chevrolets. Comparing Chevy to Shelby is like comparing Nickey Chicago to Ford. It's not the same thing. Shelby takes Mustangs and makes them faster. They do not report to the government in the same way that GM reports efficiency and safety ratings. The GT350 and GT500 are designed to compete with products by Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Tom Henry Racing, Nickey Chicago, and other aftermarket products.

Will Chevrolet make a Z28? All signs point to a future Z28, but GM is not officially confirming it. There are a lot of powerful people that want a Z28 or some other super Camaro, but we don't know for certain what will make this a reality. What we do know is that it will not have an engine that is going out of production and that it will be phenomenally powerful.
The GT500 is, for all intents and purposes, a regular Ford and not a Shelby.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
How do you figure thats possible? More power, less weight, and the Camaro doesn't have any significant gearing, handling, or grip advantage. There is no indication that the Camaro should perform better. That said, a GT 350 will cost about 2x as much as an SS.


That is why I said I think, and not it will.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,885
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
That is why I said I think, and not it will.
Alrighty then
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,142
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
How do you figure thats possible? More power, less weight, and the Camaro doesn't have any significant gearing, handling, or grip advantage. There is no indication that the Camaro should perform better. That said, a GT 350 will cost about 2x as much as an SS.


The GT500 is, for all intents and purposes, a regular Ford and not a Shelby.
I completely agree with the first part of your post.

:seesaw: It is and it isn't. The Shelby is backed by Ford in a similar fashion to certain aftermarket products are backed by GM. It also is identified as both a Ford and a Shelby. From where I stand, I see a close relationship between Ford and Shelby. GM does not have such a close counterpart. As time progressed, Ford and Shelby found opportunities to develop their working relationship. I imagine that some of GM's great classics would have a similar relationship if they were around for all those years.

Is it a Ford? I would have to say so. Is it a Shelby? I would also argue that it is. I can only imagine that someone like Berger or Yenko would have eventually developed a similar relationship with GM over time.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
RSHugger
 
Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany OR
Posts: 195
^ SLP
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #21
IConnection
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Horsham,Pa.
Posts: 222
I have heard rumors of a Boss 302 being done inhouse by FORD?
Who knows for sure...
IConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
cHaotix
 
cHaotix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas/College Station, TX
Posts: 84
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
Can we make it so Mods have to approve a new thread in the Z28 forum? Seriously, I'm tired of the same things getting posted over and over.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHaotix View Post
Can we make it so Mods have to approve a new thread in the Z28 forum? Seriously, I'm tired of the same things getting posted over and over.
just because you're tired? wow. . .then don't come into this section or the repeat thread? lol. easy solution instead of complaining.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
cHaotix
 
cHaotix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas/College Station, TX
Posts: 84
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
just because you're tired? wow. . .then don't come into this section or the repeat thread? lol. easy solution instead of complaining.
There's no need for there to be 50 z28 threads when they all say the same thing. That's what the house of Z is for. It also encourages users to actually search for stuff before they post that 9 month old link.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHaotix View Post
There's no need for there to be 50 z28 threads when they all say the same thing. That's what the house of Z is for. It also encourages users to actually search for stuff before they post that 9 month old link.
I can go into any other section and if they haven't been combined with other threads I can find many many topics that repeat and say the same thing. and with society today no one wants to actually let their fingers do the walking. they want people to just give them the answer.

also have you read through the house of Z? not much real Z information in it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.

Last edited by boxmonkeyracing; 02-12-2010 at 07:58 PM.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shno's House of Z Number 3 Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 14913 07-22-2014 01:58 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
New 'Vert and Z/28 info?? 2sharp Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 82 03-25-2009 01:31 PM
Shelby has another offering... garagelogic General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 26 02-06-2009 04:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.