Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Thought about rear parking sensors?

Now we know we'll deifinitely be working with blind-spots, would you opt for rear parking sensors or not?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Not me. We've got them in our Expedition and unless the sensors are super clean, the damn thing beeps at dust, raindrops, and air. I'd rather just learn the corners of my car and add small blind spot mirrors to the side mirrors.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Park tail first.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Nope that's what mirrors are for.
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MUSL View Post
There is a huge blind spot. I think a backup beeper would be good idea too.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Just pay attention to what you're doing, know what's around you, etc. Once you get used to driving a car, you'll get an idea of how close you can get to things. Really for me it's a cost issue and a non-necessity. I'm not going to opt for this, the sun-roof (mainly cause it destroys the look of the roof), but most likely I'll get everything else; SS/RS with the LED accents, ambient lighting, top radio choice, HUD (I know another non-necessity but a very cool one so I make an exception), and I'm sure of the wheels yet.

Also I guess I'm used to driving with blind spots..... the wing on my car pretty much consumes your view out the back. you either look over it (for distance) or under it (for close). But there is a middle spot that you don't see.
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I rarely park in a way that requires me to go in reverse. I'd only need it to pull out of a parking spot or my driveway.

With no kids, and their toys, to worry about behind me in the driveway sensor's aren't an important option at all.

Quote:
Also I guess I'm used to driving with blind spots..... the wing on my car pretty much consumes your view out the back. you either look over it (for distance) or under it (for close). But there is a middle spot that you don't see.
That would drive me mad.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
No kidding. If those mirrors don't help you see around blind spots then what do you do? Get an extra pair of eyes? Heh. Living in Southern California you need all the help you can get seeing around blind spots.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Vash

It's the dumb people that drive into the blind spot and stay in that zone that's the most danger.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
It's the dumb people that drive into the blind spot and stay in that zone that's the most danger.
Something you cannot help. Rear parking sensors can.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #11
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
All cars have blind spots. The system for the Camaro will be a nice edition. I have the sensors on my pickup and love them. I suspect however the Camaro may include a backup camera like we are seeing on many cars these days. It is a simple way to make backing easy and safe. I will be waiting for the HUD so since I will be waiting anyway I will also get whatever system that GM ends up putting in the car.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Nope. Don't want rear parking sensors and would never opt for them. If you feel you are getting too close, you probably are. Get out and LOOK. Common sense...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Something you cannot help. Rear parking sensors can.
Drive alert, scanning mirrors prior to cars enterring blind spot... adjust speed to prevent vehicles from 'riding' in them.... easy to do in Fort Worth TX (except NE 820) and 121 north/east at 0700... maybe not as easy in CA.

For those who insist on driving in blind spots... maybe some type of wheel spikes to take out their tires!?!?!

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #14
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
we are buying a new tahoe this weekend so i will make up my mind after i try that a bit.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
UH last time I checked if you want to check your blind spots...................just........turn.........a round. You should have learned that when you got a license.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #16
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
UH last time I checked if you want to check your blind spots...................just........turn.........a round. You should have learned that when you got a license.

turn around... is that still legal? cant we get someone else to do that for us yet?

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Nope... My 74 Z28 has a huge blind spot from the B pillar and rear port glass and I have yet to back into anything... Of course, I just jinxed myself...

I would hold off any judgment on the blind spot until you are actually sitting in your new Camaro… Might not be as bad as some might think…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Every Camaro built (except 'verts I guess) have had huge blind spots. Nothing new to a lot of us. My '68 didn't even come with a passenger side mirror. You just learn to estimate better where the car is, and be more cautious about it. If that means making a 3 point turn a 6 point turn, oh well. That's part of Camaro ownership.
What I need is a front parking sensor on the nose of my 4th gen. I'll admit I've bumped into a couple parking garage walls, curbs, whatever, while parking it.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Our Envoy has a few MASSIVE blind spots. If I ever feel like I'm too close to a wall or another car, I'll just stop and go the other direction. Not that hard.

Although rear parking sensors would be nice to have.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't think I'd be interested unless they could integrate them into the rear cover better than the cars are not. Maybe if they were able to keep the sensors in the lower black part of the facia where the difusser is, but I'm not sure they would get the coverage on the corners; I don't know about that. No, not for me. Why do I need to back up when my 400+ horsepower will be going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Nope. Don't want rear parking sensors and would never opt for them. If you feel you are getting too close, you probably are. Get out and LOOK. Common sense...
LOL, I thought I was the only one get actually get out of my car to make sure I wasn't close to a curb or another car! I don't feel as bad now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post

turn around... is that still legal? cant we get someone else to do that for us yet?
That's not legal in California. That takes too much thinking for yourself and we're not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
Every Camaro built (except 'verts I guess) have had huge blind spots. Nothing new to a lot of us. My '68 didn't even come with a passenger side mirror. You just learn to estimate better where the car is, and be more cautious about it. If that means making a 3 point turn a 6 point turn, oh well. That's part of Camaro ownership.
What I need is a front parking sensor on the nose of my 4th gen. I'll admit I've bumped into a couple parking garage walls, curbs, whatever, while parking it.
X2 I've been there done that with my '95 and a couple times in my '02. They were all just rolling into them so I never got any damage, but yeah...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Vash

What about a reverse beeper?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #22
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I like the idea of a reverse option. I won't take it because I'll turn around or stop to take a better look. It's a waste of money for me and a lot of other people that are just really comfortable with a wide range of cars.

At the same time, this may be the first car of this style for a lot of drivers. Coupes and muscle cars are just different than what some people are driving now. This type of option will make more people comfortable buying a Camaro, so it could make the sale for some people. That's great for us because it gives GM a wider range of customers to whom they can sell Camaros.

I just wanted to remind everyone that more success with this platform means more performance cars—Z28 included—in the future.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
As far as my opinion, I don't see any reason why not to offer them, but that is not an option I would need. For me, this car will be a Sunday driver, not a DD. If I came off otherwise, I apologize. I would consider Blur's suggestion about commenting to a Mod' however if you require help. I think it's safe to say all Mods' are more than happy to help
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #24
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Our Envoy has a few MASSIVE blind spots. If I ever feel like I'm too close to a wall or another car, I'll just stop and go the other direction. Not that hard.

Please tell me how diplomatic any of the above responses are??????????????????????????????????????????? Or how necessary they were???????????????? That's great people have their own opinions, but stuff like that doesn't border on condescending, it IS condescending and completely uncessary. And this isn't the only thread where this has taken place. I think some of us take enough sh*t off of people in the real world, then to come to places we'd like to enjoy like Camaro5 and deal with this, for no good reason??????????? I may be the only one but I think this kind of stuff brings down the quality of the forum and the membership, makes folks not want to come here. Do you really want that? Or maybe you really don't care...... At least you were warned.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I prefer the system that big trucks use... The G.O.A.L. system, works very well. Imagine the blind spot they have, total 180 degrees without mirrors.
Personally I think it's a good technology, if it works. It's not very often you see anyone get in and out of their auto while backing, we're a bunch-o-lazy bassuds.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote