Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
xtreme industries
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 553
spohn or BMR

i have been searching and have fround 2 retailers for the trailing arms and toe links (they both carry similar products). i have never heard much of either companies personally but their designs are different. spohn uses a tubular bar and BMR uses a square bar. although spohn price is less.

does anyone have any experience with either and what is the preferance and why?

i am planning to do the sways, springs, trailing arms, toe links, and sub frame connectors before any performance mods but am just doing research first.

thanks
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme industries View Post
i have been searching and have fround 2 retailers for the trailing arms and toe links (they both carry similar products). i have never heard much of either companies personally but their designs are different. spohn uses a tubular bar and BMR uses a square bar. although spohn price is less.

does anyone have any experience with either and what is the preferance and why?

i am planning to do the sways, springs, trailing arms, toe links, and sub frame connectors before any performance mods but am just doing research first.

thanks
I'm sure either would be fine. Both are well known for putting out good parts. As far as difference between tubular vs square, in this case, there's not much difference. BMR opted to go square bar which is very strong. From looking at most of BMR's stuff, they use it alot. Spohn went with 4130N Chrome moly round bar which is very strong as well and has the added benefit of being very light. The key is, both are considerably stronger than OEM and I highly doubt you could bend either.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
xtreme industries
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 553
thanks, i guess i will consider the less expensive one. maybe either or can put out a package deal at a discounted price.

i will keep my eyes peeled to see if any deals arise before spring.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
jrpxxii


 
jrpxxii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Posts: 3,364
I have seen both in person, personally I like and have the Spohn myself but BMR is excellent as well. You will be perfectly happy with either.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,703
I personally prefer BMR products simply due to the history I have using them. I have used them on all of my vehicles over the past 12 years, and I will continue to do so.

My current project, the Camaro, will be no different. I plan to use as much BMR stuff as I can get my hands on.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
BMR guy

 
BMR guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,099
Our Trailing arms and Toe Rods are built overkill so strength is definitely not an issue there. The Toe Rods are the same price as Spohns. On the Trailing Arms we chose to go with stronger square tubing with a double-reinforced rear box. This is more expensive (only by $20) yet we feel necessary because of the 3800 lb. weight of this platform and the fact that this arm is subjected to heavy compression loading under acceleration. Both items are in stock, subframe connectors too!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
xtreme industries
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 553
good to know, my major concern is quality as well. are you planing on putting a package discounted price together in the future, one that would include the trailing arms, toe rods, and the sub frame connector (does the subframe connector come with the tunnel brace or is that extra?)

thanks for the info

Last edited by xtreme industries; 02-05-2010 at 01:29 PM.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
BMR guy

 
BMR guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,099
We have not yet finalized what the packages will consist of however we are currently working on 6 different Handling packages and 2 Drag race packages. Look for them to be announced shortly.

The Tunnel Brace does not ship with the Subframe Connectors, it is sold as a separate part. We purposely kept it separate so that it could be installed by itself if needed.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
xtreme industries
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 553
can you install the factory tunnel brace with the BMR frame connectors?
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Factory tunel brace has to be cut with BMR Subs, I replaced with BMR's brace.

For the $90, just replace it.

I prefer BMR's tunnel brace to Spohns flat plate design. Too much like the stock brace.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Factory tunel brace has to be cut with BMR Subs, I replaced with BMR's brace.

For the $90, just replace it.

I prefer BMR's tunnel brace to Spohns flat plate design. Too much like the stock brace.
I wonder just how much flex the factory tunnel brace endures? It appears to be more side to side, which would make the OEM one ok. Spohn's looks to be a heavier gauge steel.

BMR:
Do you have plans to make a tunnel brace that drops down a little, in the open section? Several people are having issues, myself included, with aftermarket exhausts hitting the factory brace with hard bumps. There's a thread from a member where he built his own brace that dropped down. I don't think it would take much for you to make a thinner cross bar and weld it evenly with the bottom of the existing bracket. This would give the 3/4-1in void needed to keep the exhaust from hitting and wouldn't change the lowest point of your existing brace. I'll only charge you the price of one for my car for the idea.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
BMR Sales



 
BMR Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Race Car
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I wonder just how much flex the factory tunnel brace endures? It appears to be more side to side, which would make the OEM one ok. Spohn's looks to be a heavier gauge steel.

BMR:
Do you have plans to make a tunnel brace that drops down a little, in the open section? Several people are having issues, myself included, with aftermarket exhausts hitting the factory brace with hard bumps. There's a thread from a member where he built his own brace that dropped down. I don't think it would take much for you to make a thinner cross bar and weld it evenly with the bottom of the existing bracket. This would give the 3/4-1in void needed to keep the exhaust from hitting and wouldn't change the lowest point of your existing brace. I'll only charge you the price of one for my car for the idea.
There is a little extra clearance built into our tunnel brace. I can tell you that I installed a Magnaflow 3" catback and had plenty of room to spare between the exhaust and the tunnel brace. If we see people having clearance issues with our tunnel brace we may change it up a little bit, but so far we have no seen nor heard of any issues.
__________________
T.C. Davis
Camaro Specialist
tc@bmrsuspension.com
813-986-9302
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
SupremacyCustoms
 
SupremacyCustoms's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rockland NY
Posts: 739
BMR is great i would go with them over spohn any day! Im going to be using there whole line on my personal car.
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
There is a little extra clearance built into our tunnel brace. I can tell you that I installed a Magnaflow 3" catback and had plenty of room to spare between the exhaust and the tunnel brace. If we see people having clearance issues with our tunnel brace we may change it up a little bit, but so far we have no seen nor heard of any issues.
Here's the thread. It has a few people that are hitting it. It does look like yours drops a little but it would be nice to have one that's purposefully dropped at least 3/4in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61445
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XTREME BMR suspension packages start at $495.95 NOW!!!! here at Xtreme X-treme Horsepower Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 8 04-05-2010 11:19 AM
SLP, Brembo, BMR Fabrication, DBA- Suspension and Brake SALE!!! FREE $50 Gift Certs! bijanmaleki Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 4 01-09-2010 05:02 PM
BMR CHASSIS BRACE INSTALLED lawdogg149 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 19 12-14-2009 08:39 AM
JDP Motorsports and Spohn Performance! Dial in your suspension! JDP Motorsports Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 3 12-04-2009 04:57 PM
Veteran's Day Sale from BMR Fabrication (15% OFF ALL Items) BMR Sales Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 4 11-17-2009 09:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.