Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #76
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Why doesn't anyone sell the straight pipes for anyone who wants to do a muffler delete?
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #77
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
Why doesn't anyone sell the straight pipes for anyone who wants to do a muffler delete?

probably because there isnt enough market for this. After putting it up for sale it would be cheaper for someone to just go to a muffler shop and add pipe on.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #78
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
They do....go look at the SLP Loudmouth axle-back. It's in the $400 range if you want to go that route. It's cheaper to have a muffler shop do it but you can do it yourself if you want.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #79
caverman

Got the car back from the other muffler shop and I am very pleased with what they did. Not real pleased I had to pay another $175 to fix the original mistakes but that stuff happens sometimes.

The tips are done to the correct length this time. They re-adjusted the pipes coming out of the X-Pipe because there was only about ¼” clearance between the exhaust and the brace under the car…now there is almost ½” clearance. They also used a sawsall to make the clean cuts. In one of the pics I had him take you can see the ragged edges inside the old pipe section. No more torched ends!

You can also see where the rear cat was replaced with straight pipe. In the video you can’t really hear a difference but in person I can definitely tell. It isn’t blatantly obvious but it is louder and it was noticeable to me immediately. It also seems to rev up a little faster to me…..nothing over the top but definitely noticeable. Inside the cabin it’s perfect to me for a daily driver….a bit louder but pretty much perfect for my taste. You can hear the exhaust even if the radio it turned up a little bit. I definitely like the cat removal and would recommend it if you have the opportunity. That part cost me $125….and I’m sure someone is going to ask but the answer is “No….there is no check engine light or anything at all”. I did not have to tune my car....it's still on the factory GM tune. You can see the rear sensor right in front of the piece that was cut out. The rear cats aren’t monitored at all.

I am very pleased with this setup and would recommend it to anyone. Parts $175 + $175 labor (what it would’ve cost at the new shop) + $125 for cat delete…..total should’ve been around $475. Use the factory tips and it would’ve been around $375 for everything.

If you’re in the DFW, TX area I will be at the upcoming meets for others to hear in person. Come on Spring weather!
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #80
caverman

I was only able to go down to a dead end street and get some still video. Later this week the weather is supposed to get better so I hope to grab a friend and do some more in-cabin and drive by videos.

TommyTSquared…..I hit a couple 4k + revs just for you.

Build Journal
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #81
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you get any popping on deceleration? How is the drone inside around 2k?
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #82
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Do you get any popping on deceleration? How is the drone inside around 2k?
Yes...there is some popping...you can hear it in my start up/reving video. I don't think you're going to get away from that and I would imagine any Cat-back or Axle-back is going to have it. Heck...it's there with the factory setup but you just don't hear it that much because the factory exhaust is so quiet. I think the resonated x-pipes might tone it down a little more than the non-resonated ones but that's just because the resonated x-pipe seems to give the whole system a deeper tone in general.

As far as drone.....I don't hear any but maybe I'm not understanding what everyone is considering drone. When I take some in-cabin videos (hopefully this weekend) I'll try to get it up on the highway and put it into 6th and get it around the 1.8k-2K RPM range.

I peronally like this setup a lot. I'm sure LT Headers and a 3" system is probably going to sound better but in the mean time and for the money this is a very good in-between system.
Build Journal
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #83
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yes...there is some popping...you can hear it in my start up/reving video. I don't think you're going to get away from that and I would imagine any Cat-back or Axle-back is going to have it. Heck...it's there with the factory setup but you just don't hear it that much because the factory exhaust is so quiet. I think the resonated x-pipes might tone it down a little more than the non-resonated ones but that's just because the resonated x-pipe seems to give the whole system a deeper tone in general.

As far as drone.....I don't hear any but maybe I'm not understanding what everyone is considering drone. When I take some in-cabin videos (hopefully this weekend) I'll try to get it up on the highway and put it into 6th and get it around the 1.8k-2K RPM range.

I peronally like this setup a lot. I'm sure LT Headers and a 3" system is probably going to sound better but in the mean time and for the money this is a very good in-between system.
perhaps some of US are used to drone from other toys we own and dont realize it when it is there ?

I like the way it Sounds. Especially when you downshift like in your other videos and punch it.
That Gargle is in both the Manual and the Automatic at Start up.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #84
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
I have an LS3/M6. Next week I will be doing the MD (as well as removing the resonators) while adding Magnaflow resonated x-pipe and keeping the factory tips. I keep flip-flopping about going with the tru-X instead. Seems like everyone doing this has an L99.

Anyone with an LS3 know which would be better, tru-X or resonated X???
harmonicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #85
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
caverman: From what I understand you have a M6 manual. You only get the droan &/or vibration with the auto A6 when the L99 engine goes into AFM 4 cyl mode.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #86
Gabe

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/'65 Malibu SS
Does doing this affect warranty????
3300 (scheduled for prod): 08/17/09
3400 (broadcast): 08/18/09
3800 (produced): 08/22/09 A9138699
4200 (shipped): 8/24/09
5000 (at dealer): 09/04/09
6000 (del to cus): 09/04/09
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #87
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Does doing this affect warranty????
Yes....your mufflers will no longer be under warranty.
Build Journal
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #88
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicator View Post
I have an LS3/M6. Next week I will be doing the MD (as well as removing the resonators) while adding Magnaflow resonated x-pipe and keeping the factory tips. I keep flip-flopping about going with the tru-X instead. Seems like everyone doing this has an L99.

Anyone with an LS3 know which would be better, tru-X or resonated X???
i picked up a tru x, hopefully will have it on in a few days. takeing the factory resonators out as well.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #89
R1CH

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Caverman, I love that you went back and replaced the rear cats w/straight pipes... I hadn't thought of that More than likely, I'll be doing that to mine as well. I can't believe that they put an extra set of cats that aren't even monitored
R1CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #90
caverman

Ok guys....another teaser. I shot these real quick before I instlled my Hurst Shifter tonight. No in-cabin and I wanted more of it going past the camera so you could really hear it. At least you can get an idea. I still plan on doing more video by the weekend if I can find someone that will ride along and take video.

Build Journal
Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 AM   #91
SSPower
Surely thou jivest...

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 CGM/IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok guys....another teaser. I shot these real quick before I instlled my Hurst Shifter tonight. No in-cabin and I wanted more of it going past the camera so you could really hear it. At least you can get an idea. I still plan on doing more video by the weekend if I can find someone that will ride along and take video.

Damn that sound soooo good ! I freaked out because I thought you did a high speed pass by a cop at 0:11 !
SSPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #92
caverman

Yeah....I did a first as well but it was a Town Car. Cops in this area drive all black Chargers or Impalas but still that basic car is burned into my brain as a cop car.

This time it was actually me doing the video and my brother drivng. He asked to take it for a quick drive and I figured I could get some video of it. That's why there wasn't much taken.

Good thing is that I got to hear the car from the outside for the first time. It's a lot quieter inside the car and I loved the sound of it going by.

I'm telling you.....this type of setup is freakin nice IMO! Not to loud on the inside but agressive on the outside. Even if you use the Magnaflow Comp Series or SOLO....get rid of that rear Cat and you'll be happy.
Build Journal
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #93
Matth3w

Drives: '10 Camaro SS w/RS Victory Red 6spd
I've got a guy doing the delete of the mufflers. So basically if I read this thread from my phone correctly...the only real difference is you bought the x pipe with resonators and replaced. The stock h pipe and resonators right?
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #94
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
I've got a guy doing the delete of the mufflers. So basically if I read this thread from my phone correctly...the only real difference is you bought the x pipe with resonators and replaced. The stock h pipe and resonators right?
No....not really.

What I did was bought the Magnaflow resonated X-Pipe. I replaced the factory H-Pipe with it. I then had them remove the factory resonators and put just straight pipe there. Then you have the mufflers deleted and either re-use the factory tips or buy some aftermarket ones (which is what I did).

Additionally I had the rear Cats removed which gave it a little louder sound. I can't give you a good sound or power increase over factory because I took mine directly from the dealership to the muffler shop. I think I had 35mi on the car when I did it.
Build Journal
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #95
Matth3w

1. What made you decide to go with the resonated Magnaflow and delete the stock resonator as opposed to say, the unresonated Magnaflow and keep the stock resonator? Just sound or some other reason?

2. Do you think it would pass the emissions test with that second cat missing?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #96
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
1. What made you decide to go with the resonated Magnaflow and delete the stock resonator as opposed to say, the unresonated Magnaflow and keep the stock resonator? Just sound or some other reason?

2. Do you think it would pass the emissions test with that second cat missing?

1. The main reason I went with the resonated X-pipe is because that is what Magnaflow chose to use on their Comp Series cat-back system. It's also supposed to help to give a deeper tone and stop a little of the decel popping.

2. Around my area they don't put a sniffer in the tailpipe. All they do is plug into the car and see if there are any issues. The guy that did mine said he had already done about 20 Camaros the same way....about 10 of them being directly from a Chevy Dealership. Rember that you still have a Cat....you would only be taking out the rear one which is not monitored. The sensors are before and after the first one....nothing with the second one.

I can't give you an absolute YES....it will pass....because I really don't know if it will although I can't see why it would not.

I've got 2yrs before I have to deal with it. I'm betting I'll have a new set of headers/cats by then.
Build Journal
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #97
Matth3w

Hmm, I wonder why they chose to do it that way. Wonder how much of sound difference there is.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #98
Matth3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
meh, pipe is basically pipe as long as its mandrel bent (and stock is) it takes out the bad stuff just like the more costly pipe does. cat backs dont provide any performance anyway, even the costly ones... so if there is any gains to be made, i am sure this route does it just as well. i wont be payin extra for the same, so this will be my route. the xpipe might help with some gains though i think....right?
This isn't true. The bends towards the end are crushed.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #99
tman52804

Just got mine done today, the shop did a great job, with one minor complaint....tips are slightly off (one sticks out slightly further than the other).

Sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!
MGW Short throw shifter
Vmax TB
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #100
tman52804

One other minor thing... they welded a slightly smaller pipe inside my original pipe. Don't know if this is a big deal or not.

MGW Short throw shifter
Vmax TB