Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #868
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,704
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I want one. I want one. I want one.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #869
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 14,140
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
[QUOTE=Dangeruss;3548251]Here's the video guys.

QUOTE]Very Cool Russ,

I hope I dont have to end up with one, but it's a relief to know I have options if I need them in light of recent events...
__________________
If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow. -Ross Bentley

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #870
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,149
That looks like fun to drive. I think I might have to put that on my "To Do" list. I'd love to go for a ride in it sometime to see how it feels.
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #871
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
That looks like fun to drive. I think I might have to put that on my "To Do" list. I'd love to go for a ride in it sometime to see how it feels.
Emma...bring that beast of yours down to the Camaro Nationals in October and I'll take you for a spin.
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #872
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I want one. I want one. I want one.
lol....I was just saying the same thing...lol
[QUOTE=SSE 4 2SS;3548309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Here's the video guys.

QUOTE]Very Cool Russ,

I hope I dont have to end up with one, but it's a relief to know I have options if I need them in light of recent events...
Truth. Problem resolved.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #873
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,256
That's an awesome tranny Russ. Looks like fun.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #874
andredmg
Big Nasty
 
andredmg's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys lots of em
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 930
Looks like too much fun now I want one of those too, between you the speedster and Brandi my car will never be done seeng all the cool upgrades you guys keep adding to your whips.
__________________
andredmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #875
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
No doubt that shift is instant! What does the converter lock do? Can you still shift when it's locked? I don't understand the "lock"
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #876
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
No doubt that shift is instant! What does the converter lock do? Can you still shift when it's locked? I don't understand the "lock"
The locking mechanism rigidly binds the engine to the transmission when their speeds are nearly equal, to avoid slippage and a resulting loss of efficiency.

How'd I do?
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #877
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
The locking mechanism rigidly binds the engine to the transmission when their speeds are nearly equal, to avoid slippage and a resulting loss of efficiency.

How'd I do?
Okay. But can you still shift while it's locked? I'm guessing if you forgot to "unlock" it and tried to stop it would be similar to forgetting to depress the clutch pedal. Bog down, start bucking and die.?.?.?
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #878
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Okay. But can you still shift while it's locked? I'm guessing if you forgot to "unlock" it and tried to stop it would be similar to forgetting to depress the clutch pedal. Bog down, start bucking and die.?.?.?
I am not sure how Russ' new tranny works. Great question.

__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #879
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
The locking mechanism rigidly binds the engine to the transmission when their speeds are nearly equal, to avoid slippage and a resulting loss of efficiency.

How'd I do?
Give that girl a prize! It also helps with gas mileage and keeping the transmission from getting too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Okay. But can you still shift while it's locked? I'm guessing if you forgot to "unlock" it and tried to stop it would be similar to forgetting to depress the clutch pedal. Bog down, start bucking and die.?.?.?
You can still downshift with it locked, but if you start going too slow it will let you know. I forgot to turn the switch off a couple of times. It let me know, but way before the car was slow enough to die.
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #880
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Give that girl a prize! It also helps with gas mileage and keeping the transmission from getting too hot.

You can still downshift with it locked, but if you start going too slow it will let you know. I forgot to turn the switch off a couple of times. It let me know, but way before the car was slow enough to die.
That answers it. Thanks, and it looks like it would be fun at the dragstrip. No missed shifts! Do you hold the lock button when you race or just bump through the gears?
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #881
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
That answers it. Thanks, and it looks like it would be fun at the dragstrip. No missed shifts! Do you hold the lock button when you race or just bump through the gears?
At the track I'll just bump through the gears. ARD is setting up my nitrous controller to lock the converter automatically. More consistent and much easier for an ameteur like me to use.
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #882
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
It has begun. Owen is ordering my forged parts for the LSX 427 build, and is ready to get started on the block. I'll be taking a bunch of pics throughout the process, and can't wait to see what this baby will do when she's done.

I have to say I've been really happy with the way the stock engine has held up. I've got 42K miles on my car now...about 16K since the Whipple went on. I drive the car every day with 600 to the wheels, and 700 at the track on nitrous. It was driven to/from and raced at both C5Fests, and has been through several 1/4 mile runs (including one in the 10s!). GM built a great product here, and having a great builder allowed me to push it to the edge.

In a matter of weeks it'll come out to make room for the big boy. I wonder...would the LS3 will fit in my wife's Traverse?
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #883
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
It has begun. Owen is ordering my forged parts for the LSX 427 build, and is ready to get started on the block. I'll be taking a bunch of pics throughout the process, and can't wait to see what this baby will do when she's done.

I have to say I've been really happy with the way the stock engine has held up. I've got 42K miles on my car now...about 16K since the Whipple went on. I drive the car every day with 600 to the wheels, and 700 at the track on nitrous. It was driven to/from and raced at both C5Fests, and has been through several 1/4 mile runs (including one in the 10s!). GM built a great product here, and having a great builder allowed me to push it to the edge.

In a matter of weeks it'll come out to make room for the big boy. I wonder...would the LS3 will fit in my wife's Traverse?
Once you go LSX, you'll never go back !! Should be a monster ride after you get that puppy put in there.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #884
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,810
Wow, you have been busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
ok...i need to see how one of these things works... no more clutch??? weird
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Freaking SWEET.

So....no more pushing in the clutch and revving it? Is it more like an auto with paddle shifters, but the paddle shifters being the center console shifter?
The transmission is still an automatic, not a manual. It just has a manual valvebody. Basically you open up an auto tranny and change some guts so it doesn't shift by itself anymore (obviously beef it up also). The tranny itself is out of the heavy duty GM trucks of the 90's and realy to mid 2000s (a lot of people don't know that they were also used in Jaguars and Bentleys).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You definitely don't want to let the Valet park it...
I had a reverse manual valvebody TH350 in my daily driven 98 SS for a couple years before I went back to an M6 and it was hilarious watching valets trying to park it. It had aluminum Kirkey seats and a 5 point welded in roll bar and a custom push button start. I would purposely asked the valet all loud in front of everyone if he knew how to drive fast cars. They always came back with a smart answer like "I have parked Lambos, so this shouldn't be anything.". I would then walk a way while keeping an eye on him. I always stayed close so he could come back and get me and ask me how to start the car, then come get me again to ask how to get the car to move. Most of the time I just ended up having to park it myself. The wife was always embarrased everytime I did this but I thought it was hilarious and loved doing it.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taylor's 2010 Camaro SS [COTW 12/13/10] TaylorRyanSS Member Car Journals 555 05-24-2014 03:54 AM
2011 SS Detnews review - 2011 Camaro SS Fits In With Classic Cruisers Johnnyma45 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 21 09-05-2010 02:15 AM
SS: 1SS and 2SS The_Blur 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 86 03-12-2010 12:12 AM
Review of my Camaro SS (Rental from Avis) clan0013 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 19 02-15-2010 06:10 PM
Anyone with an HHR SS or Implala SS caverman 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 1 02-06-2010 06:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.