Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
warbird81
 
warbird81's Avatar
 
Drives: 1995 camaro, 2005 sts
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 113
was there ever a prototype that was supercharged?

Well boys, it looks like the z28 will not get the goods we had hoped for. (supercharger) So with that in mind i pose these questions to the people in the know.

1. Was there ever a supercharged version of the 5th gen camaro and what were the numbers?

2. How kick ass was it to drive the beast?

3. And what were your thoughts or wet dreams about the car?

I would like to know, because chevy is the best, and have always brought their A game to the table when offering the altimate muscle car. I know it would have been great; and maybe it will be. I just want to drule over the info if any.
__________________
on a mustang
warbird81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Punk_rider
 
Punk_rider's Avatar
 
Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 692
I remember seeing a pick of a holden having a supercharged ... well .. a said supercharger that made us thinking it was a z28 camaro project ...

Don't remember where is the pick ,some will probably tell you
__________________
I'm kindly asking: "May I have a supercharged Z28 with 550 hp please? By the end of 2009 would be awesome. Thanks"
Punk_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON
 
Camaro Lives On's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 GMC Envoy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,648
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
I remember there were reports about 6-7 months ago of an IVER in Arizona that supossedly that was whistling as the rpm's came up (at the time, we guessed supercharger)... this was a while back tho.
__________________
Camaro Lives On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,777
OK.

Here's the scoop.

Scott Setltemre and Bob Lutz have all but confirmed this publicly. Some enthusiasts were able to visit the proving grounds in AZ. They were able to talk to some of the drivers who had by chance driven the prepro camaros. One of the drivers let it slip that one of the cars was supercharged. That's how it leaked that a blown camaro was in the works. Hence all the speculation that a Z28 would be blown.

So to answer your question, yes at least one of the prepros was blown.....

We think that is what Mr. Lutz was referring to when he said "we can't justify our original plan." We don't know what the Z28 may or may not be. I don't think the Z28 is dead. But it looks like the blower is, at least from the factory.

As far as numbers go. Most speculated that an LSA from the CTSV would be the production power plant at 550hp. Other than that
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
I have also heard from one of my "sources" that there are two prototypes. One supercharged and one with an LS7.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
nonsensez9
 
Drives: 05 mustang gt
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 71
the DI 6 with a twin turbo would be a killer setup imo
nonsensez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)
 
2KZ28_For_Now's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,552
There was a prototype that was supercharged. It just might not have been a Gen-5 Camaro. Or, it might.

Iono.
__________________
LT LS RS SS LS3 **LSA-Z28 (Skip the body kit)**
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Screw991le
 
Drives: 2000 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 50
Just do what the LS3 Vette guys do. Drop about 7k in a SC kit and run over 500 HP. Then do a Cam and Head swap and run closer to 600. But then you'll need a tranny upgrade.

Power is very easy to add if you have the cash. A GM Z28 will cost more than 50K IMHO.

Just like the GT500, people are going with the Roush and saving 15k plus mark up.
__________________
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3695&dateline=1220712  705

2000 Corvette Coupe
2003 Trailblazer LT EXT
2007 G6
Screw991le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.
 
Wm Holden's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ventura, ca.
Posts: 996
Welburn said "there were a few around" "he had seen THEM" but they would not make a production supercharged CamAro...

But all things are subject to change.
In fact "Change" is the only constant that's guaranteed.
__________________
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....



http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD
 
KILLER74Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird81 View Post
Well boys, it looks like the z28 will not get the goods we had hoped for. (supercharger) So with that in mind i pose these questions to the people in the know.

1. Was there ever a supercharged version of the 5th gen camaro and what were the numbers?

2. How kick ass was it to drive the beast?

3. And what were your thoughts or wet dreams about the car?

I would like to know, because chevy is the best, and have always brought their A game to the table when offering the altimate muscle car. I know it would have been great; and maybe it will be. I just want to drule over the info if any.


http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3415
__________________

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
wouldnt it be possible to just buy the blower from gm that is on the zr1 or even the cts v and put it on the new ss? other than some fuel changes what other things would be different between the 6.2 and the 6.2 supercharged?
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
OK.

Here's the scoop.

Scott Setltemre and Bob Lutz have all but confirmed this publicly. Some enthusiasts were able to visit the proving grounds in AZ. They were able to talk to some of the drivers who had by chance driven the prepro camaros. One of the drivers let it slip that one of the cars was supercharged. That's how it leaked that a blown camaro was in the works. Hence all the speculation that a Z28 would be blown.

So to answer your question, yes at least one of the prepros was blown.....

We think that is what Mr. Lutz was referring to when he said "we can't justify our original plan." We don't know what the Z28 may or may not be. I don't think the Z28 is dead. But it looks like the blower is, at least from the factory.

As far as numbers go. Most speculated that an LSA from the CTSV would be the production power plant at 550hp. Other than that
Almost.. I had to take that part down of my writeup.. but it should be good to post now.. the question we posed to the engineers at the proving grounds was what cars they where using to benchmark the camaro, and they said they had a gt500 on campus aswell as others (g37/35, mustang gt, chally was comming when released). He IMPLIED that there was one with a supercharger but never out right said it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
wouldnt it be possible to just buy the blower from gm that is on the zr1 or even the cts v and put it on the new ss? other than some fuel changes what other things would be different between the 6.2 and the 6.2 supercharged?
Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.
 
Wm Holden's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ventura, ca.
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Almost.. I had to take that part down of my writeup.. but it should be good to post now.. the question we posed to the engineers at the proving grounds was what cars they where using to benchmark the camaro, and they said they had a gt500 on campus aswell as others (g37/35, mustang gt, chally was comming when released). He IMPLIED that there was one with a supercharger but never out right said it..



Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..
Was that "Spring ranch"?
__________________
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....



http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post

Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..
and the things that they did to the vette are????? classified or you dont really know what they did, it was just fast?
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
I just had a thought, why doesn't GM build a strengthened block ls3 motor that can handle large amounts of boost and put in a special edition Camaro (I don't think z28 would be appropriate as it was never about power, maybe call it zl-1) that way enthusiasts can add super chargers without being in danger of blowing up the motor and they can do so without voiding the warranty (as long as the blower is dealer installed, ie yanko).
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
^^^^^ i like it!
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.
 
Wm Holden's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ventura, ca.
Posts: 996
50% increase works fine on a stock bottom LS2..so LS3 should work well at 7lbs of boost.
__________________
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....



http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Was that "Spring ranch"?
The desert proving grounds in mesa (google maps link...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
and the things that they did to the vette are????? classified or you dont really know what they did, it was just fast?
60-80mph drifting, 40+mph spins, 2 vettes nose to nose doing circles during power oversteering, all the while those of us there taking turns in the passenger seat..

The driver that I rode with told me they go through tires on the vettes about every tank of gas.

Edit, here is a rip from google maps outlining the track...

__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #19
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.
 
Wm Holden's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ventura, ca.
Posts: 996
I'll bet that was a blast!
__________________
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....



http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
Did you see the oval just to east of the test track, it's about 13,000 feet in long. That must be were they do high speed testing. I'm usually not interested in ovals but that thing is huge.

Last edited by Jamestwilliams; 09-07-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
Did you see the oval just to east of the test track, it's about 13,000 feet in long. That must be were they do high speed testing. I'm usually not interested in ovals but that thing is huge.
The day we where there, a nascar team was using the circle track (the big one that goes around everything) for testing. Don't remember the team though..
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
The desert proving grounds in mesa (google maps link...)



60-80mph drifting, 40+mph spins, 2 vettes nose to nose doing circles during power oversteering, all the while those of us there taking turns in the passenger seat..

The driver that I rode with told me they go through tires on the vettes about every tank of gas.

Edit, here is a rip from google maps outlining the track...

sounds like it was fun.
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,245
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There is strong evidence that a supercharged prototype was in the works. The primary theory is that such a Camaro would be the Z28, but other possibilities remain.

There is the argument that a supercharger kit is in the works. This would require testing and tuning which would explain this project prototype.

There is the possibility that a supercharger is going to be developed to compete with Ford's EcoBoost system.

Additionally, GM could have decided that a supercharger was worthy trying but was never taken seriously.

Until production, we won't really know.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,563
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There is strong evidence that a supercharged prototype was in the works. The primary theory is that such a Camaro would be the Z28, but other possibilities remain.

There is the argument that a supercharger kit is in the works. This would require testing and tuning which would explain this project prototype.

There is the possibility that a supercharger is going to be developed to compete with Ford's EcoBoost system.

Additionally, GM could have decided that a supercharger was worthy trying but was never taken seriously.

Until production, we won't really know.
qft
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,245
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
qft
What does that mean?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 camaro or 2011 supercharged version? logan1080 Forced Induction - V8 39 09-01-2008 07:15 PM
LS9 is first in a series of SuperCharged Engines!!!! rmyers Forced Induction - V8 15 08-01-2008 05:22 PM
Camaro Super Sport might get a 550-plus-horsepower supercharged V8 camaro5 Forced Induction - V8 30 04-30-2008 12:20 PM
Supercharged 6.2 potential?... radz28 Forced Induction - V8 12 04-25-2008 02:40 PM
GM Cancels Cobalt SS Supercharged Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 35 07-31-2007 01:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.