Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Puttnutt24

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Installing Sway Bars Only......

I just traded in my 2LT for a 2SS and it sure looks to me that the SS comes lower from the factory then the LT. That being said, would there be a noticeable differance in the handling of the car if I were to just install and set of performance front and rear sway bars and leave the stock coils alone?
Thx.................Rich
Puttnutt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
In short....yes. But do a search and you will find that there are a ton of members who have installed just sways and absolutely love them.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi Rich,

Certainly you will notice a huge difference in the handling characteristics, by installing a matched set of front and rear sways, with out the addition of drop coils. As SSOOCH stated above, many people have done this on this forum and absolutely love the set up. The sway bars will mostly affect the balance between front and rear roll resistance and grip levels, no matter what spring/tire/wheel set up you are running. This is why Pfadt provides and adjustable rear sway bar for precisely these conditions. When and if you upgrade the coil springs, or make the move to coilovers, you will still be able to dial in the balance that you desired previously.

Any questions, please feel free to let us know. Thanks!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
I have a set of the Pfadt bars on my car. Made a BIG difference in the handling. Easy to install, and unsurpassed quality.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Waiting for my Pfadt sway bars to come in. Everything that I have been reading, cant wait.
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttnutt24 View Post
I just traded in my 2LT for a 2SS and it sure looks to me that the SS comes lower from the factory then the LT. That being said, would there be a noticeable differance in the handling of the car if I were to just install and set of performance front and rear sway bars and leave the stock coils alone?
Thx.................Rich
Factory cars are simply not set up for performance drivers, for a variety of reasons. Any upgrades you make to the suspension will be noticeable in a positive way, and there's no reason why you can't do sway bars to start, and add other components in the future.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
+1. This is exactly what I will be doing. I understand the performance aspect of dropping the car, but I just don't want to lose the ride height. Going to be adding sways as soon as I'm done with the aesthetic mods.

edit: hopefully by then there were be more than a few companies offering all their suspension parts. I HATE mixing and matching when it comes to suspension (for the sake of a part not being out instead of a performance benefit) :(
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Factory cars are simply not set up for performance drivers, for a variety of reasons. Any upgrades you make to the suspension will be noticeable in a positive way, and there's no reason why you can't do sway bars to start, and add other components in the future.

I like Hotchkis ,I'm on the verge of ordering your "track pack". When installing the sways, do you have to remove any exhaust parts? How long do they take to install? American made still?

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
I like Hotchkis ,I'm on the verge of ordering your "track pack". When installing the sways, do you have to remove any exhaust parts? How long do they take to install? American made still?
Always American made!

You don't need to disconnect any exhaust parts, although you will need to raise the engine slightly.

Instructions with photos - click here

We have a track pack chassis install video up on our home page, or

Install video

You could do the whole install in a weekend, no problem. Give us a call if you'd like to talk it through with a tech first.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
NICe. how far exactly win the engine need to be lifted? Are there any torque specs for retightening engine mounts and or the specs on the sway bar bolts?

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote