Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19,601
EL wire questions

This is not on my Camaro but on my Spark. I have ordered some EL wire to run along the roof rail ditch moldings and was wondering a couple things. What is the best way to attach them to the car, and how durable is this wire when exposed to the elements? Thanks.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
This is not on my Camaro but on my Spark. I have ordered some EL wire to run along the roof rail ditch moldings and was wondering a couple things. What is the best way to attach them to the car, and how durable is this wire when exposed to the elements? Thanks.
Just my personal opinion but I wouldn't mess with el wire. It seems to go out every few months. The inverters emit a high pitched ringing sound that will drive you crazy. After my third install of replacing it in my car I called it quits. It was awesome when it worked and pretty cheap also but the labor in keeping it going wasn't worth it.
Check out some of my pics and you will see that I had it everywhere. Also el wire breaks down real fast in sunlight. Just my 2cents.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat300z View Post
Just my personal opinion but I wouldn't mess with el wire. It seems to go out every few months. The inverters emit a high pitched ringing sound that will drive you crazy. After my third install of replacing it in my car I called it quits. It was awesome when it worked and pretty cheap also but the labor in keeping it going wasn't worth it.
Check out some of my pics and you will see that I had it everywhere. Also el wire breaks down real fast in sunlight. Just my 2cents.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I haven't had any experience with it, glad I haven't put it on yet.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Rebel Rex
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mo.
Posts: 9
Seems like there might be different brands or maybe the same wire under different brand names. One has to wonder if there are any of them that will work.
Rebel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rex View Post
Seems like there might be different brands or maybe the same wire under different brand names. One has to wonder if there are any of them that will work.
What I got is pretty cheap, $4.98 for 9ft, I bought two of them. I may just play with it some and see how long it holds up before installing it on my car.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 636
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47924

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314355
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19,601
Wonder how that light pipe would work on the exterior? But I would need more than a 3 ft long piece to go from front to back of the roof molding.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Wonder how that light pipe would work on the exterior? But I would need more than a 3 ft long piece to go from front to back of the roof molding.
It wouldn't last a week on the exterior. The sun would break it down real fast. TRUST ME you are wasting your time and money.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19,601
Oh well it would have looked cool....
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Oh well it would have looked cool....
Yes it would
Attached Images
    
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.