Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!
 
Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 183
Largest wheel width

Has anything been released about the wheel width yet? I really like the TSW Mondello wheels (below), but I don't know what space I have to work with. I was thinking 20x8.5 for the front, and hopefully 20x10 for the rear. 315s or 325s looks bad ass on the back of a performance car!

Hyper black with chrome lip
__________________


1981 Camaro Z28- modded quite nicely !!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT HEMI- my workhorse
2002 Dodge Intrepid SE (wife's new ride)
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE- Winter play toy
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
they look bad ass, but more often than not, are not economical as most people who will buy this car wont need (nor will pay for ) that size of a wheel.

I would imagine it will be 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears, tho the aftermarket will take care of that quickly.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!
 
Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
they look bad ass, but more often than not, are not economical as most people who will buy this car wont need (nor will pay for ) that size of a wheel.

I would imagine it will be 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears, tho the aftermarket will take care of that quickly.


Thanks for your advise, but you recommended 9.5 for the rear. Half an inch isn't that much of a difference. Not to mention TSW only offers this wheel in the two 20" styles I've mentioned.
__________________


1981 Camaro Z28- modded quite nicely !!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT HEMI- my workhorse
2002 Dodge Intrepid SE (wife's new ride)
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE- Winter play toy
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
Thanks for your advise, but you recommended 9.5 for the rear. Half an inch isn't that much of a difference. Not to mention TSW only offers this wheel in the two 20" styles I've mentioned.
im not recommending, i was meaning that the camaro will come with 7.5s, 8s, and 9" wide wheels. as far as clearance, you should be able to fit a 10" wheel and tire combo in there without trouble.

315s would go on there nicely as well. but id go to a 10.5 or 11" wheel before i went much larger than 315's.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!
 
Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 183
Oh I see.

Yeah,... 315s on the ass would be sweet!
__________________


1981 Camaro Z28- modded quite nicely !!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT HEMI- my workhorse
2002 Dodge Intrepid SE (wife's new ride)
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE- Winter play toy
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
blackZbandit
 
blackZbandit's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
Yeah,... 315s on the ass would be sweet!
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
PatrickfromMD
 
PatrickfromMD's Avatar
 
Drives: Navigator/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

315s would go on there nicely as well. but id go to a 10.5 or 11" wheel before i went much larger than 315's.
I 2nd that, I had a corvette I put 315s on my 9.5 inch rims, but they did not look nearly as well as after I upgraded to 11 inch wide rims. I think 10.5 is the min to make a 315 look right.

I think 315s would look great on the back of the camaro as well.
__________________

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
 
JEFF2010SSMANUAL's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,953
I think a staggered set of huge wheels with huge lips in the back will look FANTASTIC.


Like 255/40/20 in front and 295/35/20 in back.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
I think a staggered set of huge wheels with huge lips in the back will look FANTASTIC.


Like 255/40/20 in front and 295/35/20 in back.
id go with 255s or 265s up front on a 9" rim, if it were 9.5 id go 275s.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
and an idea of how the wider wheels might look and stick out

275/40/17s and 295/35/18s heres a couple shots, oh and the patriot red camaro has 315s on the rear:

















__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
I am sure it won't be long before someone tries to put on a ZR1 or replica rim. I am using replica ZR1 17x11's on the rear of my vette with 315/35/17's.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
Dose any one know what the bolt pattern will be for the SS?
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,850
Not yet.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
Has anything been released about the wheel width yet? I really like the TSW Mondello wheels (below), but I don't know what space I have to work with. I was thinking 20x8.5 for the front, and hopefully 20x10 for the rear. 315s or 325s looks bad ass on the back of a performance car!

Hyper black with chrome lip
I don't think the fronts you're suggesting would be a problem because (althogh I honestly don't have confirmation) I'm sure the fronts are going to be at least 8-inches wide on the SS-style wheels. I'm hoping we aren't going to have to deal with what the GTO-guys did with their latest car regarding limited wheel widths. I hope we could get at least a 295 on the rear with different wheels.

FWIW; I love those wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
im not recommending, i was meaning that the camaro will come with 7.5s, 8s, and 9" wide wheels. as far as clearance, you should be able to fit a 10" wheel and tire combo in there without trouble.

315s would go on there nicely as well. but id go to a 10.5 or 11" wheel before i went much larger than 315's.
I've run 335s on my 10.5s and although I had great protection from curbs (LOL) they didn't look all too good and the outer edges of the tires hardly touched the ground unless I was was driving aggressively. I was running Dunlop SP8000s if I remember right. My brother was running 315s on his replica ZR1s with GSD3s and they looked at least as good and those tires had more square shoulders and he used more the tire with those 11s than I did with my 10.5s. My point, is I agree that 10.5s are probably the usable limit for anything above 315s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I am sure it won't be long before someone tries to put on a ZR1 or replica rim. I am using replica ZR1 17x11's on the rear of my vette with 315/35/17's.
I think the new ZR1 rims will be the ones that will be popular. I think I'd rather those than the ones we've seen on the car so car (and I don't think there's anything wrong with the OEM selection, I just like the ZR1s better ) I pretty much think the limit is going to be around 10-inches. I hope GM engineered enough wheelhouse space to allow for bigger, but I just doubt it
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
these it

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't think the fronts you're suggesting would be a problem because (althogh I honestly don't have confirmation) I'm sure the fronts are going to be at least 8-inches wide on the SS-style wheels. I'm hoping we aren't going to have to deal with what the GTO-guys did with their latest car regarding limited wheel widths. I hope we could get at least a 295 on the rear with different wheels.

FWIW; I love those wheels



I've run 335s on my 10.5s and although I had great protection from curbs (LOL) they didn't look all too good and the outer edges of the tires hardly touched the ground unless I was was driving aggressively. I was running Dunlop SP8000s if I remember right. My brother was running 315s on his replica ZR1s with GSD3s and they looked at least as good and those tires had more square shoulders and he used more the tire with those 11s than I did with my 10.5s. My point, is I agree that 10.5s are probably the usable limit for anything above 315s



I think the new ZR1 rims will be the ones that will be popular. I think I'd rather those than the ones we've seen on the car so car (and I don't think there's anything wrong with the OEM selection, I just like the ZR1s better ) I pretty much think the limit is going to be around 10-inches. I hope GM engineered enough wheelhouse space to allow for bigger, but I just doubt it

Found the wheels at a web sight "slickcar.com" they range in size from 17x8.5-20x11. Price ranges from $255.99- $374.99. Here is a pic of the 20x11 wheel. I will be looking at the 19X9.5/ 20x11 or 18x10.5/ 19x12
Attached Images
  
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
blackZbandit
 
blackZbandit's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 744




OMG I've been looking for replica's in larger than 18's forever!! I'd love to have 315's in the back and 295's in the front.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster
 
angryv6's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 777
those look sweet
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question: Cars only driven by one wheel? JMROD General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 08-29-2010 05:04 PM
Current wheel & design,just an observation nitrokid Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 5 07-25-2008 01:33 PM
69 wheel wheels sweep lines on 5th odie23 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 8 07-02-2008 09:19 AM
Steering Wheel Radio Controls Bart 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 19 02-28-2007 01:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.