Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Camaro0911

Drives: 2002 Chevy Impala
Car Stereo

I have a Chevy Impala 2001 LS. I love the stock sound system in that thing. Does anyone know if a store sells it? If the Camaro sound system sucks. I will have to change it.
Camaro0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
I'm not sure if anyone other than a dealer will sell stock stereos.

But I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the new one.

Here's a link to a thread you might want to check out.

BOSTON ACOUSTICS!!!!!!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I thought Boston Acoustics was only producing the top level system. The stock one will be okay, but don't expect GM to develop its own top-of-the-line unit.

I'm already planning on installing a 12-inch sub at the very least. More, I'm sure, will be necessary for my music-enjoying standards.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This opens an interesting question....what IS the stock unit going to be? Some brand name? Or just another Generic GM stereo system....

I ask because I wonder if what is standard in my Cobalt is the same thing that will be standard in the Camaro?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This opens an interesting question....what IS the stock unit going to be? Some brand name? Or just another Generic GM stereo system....

I ask because I wonder if what is standard in my Cobalt is the same thing that will be standard in the Camaro?
I remember my Cobalt system. When I took out the speakers, they were made of some of the most disappointing cardboard I've ever seen.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
my guess would be delphi

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

If GM uses the stock system and it's the same as my 02SS, I say hell yeah...go for it. Personally, I love the stock sound system in my SS (although Monsoon), but still.....great speakers, etc.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I imagine the Boston speakers will be well made, not paper cones with whizzers.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
My suggestion: If you think the stock (base or premium) stereo doesn't sound good, start by replacing the speakers with better quality ones before you worry about replacing the head unit.

For example, my '97 C1500 has the stock head unit in it. For 6 years I listened to the crappy stock speakers. I got bored one weekend so I went to multiple big box electronics stores and listened to their speakers they had on display.

I ended up ripping out just the 6.5" door speakers and replacing them with new Sony speakers (not the greatest but certainly within my hobby budget for the month). Suddenly I had crystal clear mids and highs but lost my bass (well, what little the stock paper speakers could put out). No problem, tossed a couple of 10" Kicker subs in boxes under the rear seat and wired them directly to the rear R/L speaker wires. I didn't add an amp or anything else to the stock head unit and the sound is great - clear, loud, and well rounded. And to think that I almost started with the head unit and hooked a new one up the old stock speakers. Total cost was less than $200 for the new speakers.

Start with the speakers and if that doesn't do it for you, then worry about the head unit.

By the way, this song does an awesome job of showing off the great range and clarity I get out of the system now. Let it die
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Camaro92

Drives: 2002 Camaro, 2004 Corvette
Can anyone tell me what size The speakers are in the new LT camaro? Or a link to ALL of the speaker sizes
-black rims
-red brake calipers
-red and black two-tone interior
-tinted windows
-full exhaust system
-header
-pulleys

all of this =

My bad ass senior car
Camaro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Im looking for the stock specs....not having any luck. Here is the BA system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
The Boston system has 9 speakers. 1-6.5" mid/woof in each front door, 1 tweeter in the front A-pillars, 1 center speaker on the dash and 2-6x9 woofers in the back deck with 2 midranges also on the back deck coaxial mounted. Thats 9 speakers.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro0911 View Post
I have a Chevy Impala 2001 LS. I love the stock sound system in that thing. Does anyone know if a store sells it? If the Camaro sound system sucks. I will have to change it.
You can't purchase/replace he stereo in the Camaro with the one from a 2001 Impala, it simply won't fit, aside from the fact the Head unit alone from a GM dealer is probably $300-$500. You could get yourself a REALLY good Alpine or Kenwood for that kind of coin. However swapping in an aftermarket HU is not so simple as mentioned in other threads here.

That said the base system will likely be at least as good as, if not superior to the one in your Impala, the BA system will definitely be FAR superior. SO you have nothing to worry about.

Finally GM Head units were previously made by Delco, I'm sure thats probably continued, however I wouldn't be surprised if some were made by Delphi as well.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote