Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Practicality of buying a factory super-charged Camaro?

During the Frankfurt Motor Show, representatives from General Motors confirmed suspicions of the Camaro Z28 being built and sold sometime in late 2011. Not very convenient considering the Z28 was basically completed earlier this year but was put on hold when GMs financial health dropped to an all-time low.

Okay I just cut and pasted the above text to throw people off doing a quick mouse-over read of this thread from the main board page. I know speculations about the Z/28 annoy people.

What this thread is REALLY about is the practicality about buying a factory super-charged Camaro.

Many insurance companies will not insure a performance modded car. I was thinking of modding a Camaro SS over time as a hobby car, however the combined costs of doing so will most likely be a whole lot more than the $10k or so premium the Z/28 will likely cost over the SS. Furthermore the Z/28 will be insurable as it is stock modded from the factory.

I don't really like the current SS because it looks almost identical to the V6 with the RS package, except for a few differences than only fans would really notice. However the Z/28 has all the required badass image upgrades required for the performance version of the Camaro (namely an instantly recognizable front-end, hood scoop and rear spoiler). If I had bought the SS and done those mods such as after-market rims, spoiler etc. AND tacked on a super-charger it would cost way more than the Z/28 upgrade.

Seems like a good financial choice in the long-term, even though the short-term cost will be high (and I won't be as motivated to mod it as a hobby car over time). Maybe it was a good thing that I won't be getting the Camaro until 2011!

What do you think?