Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

View Poll Results: Which would you actually spend $35k on?
Volt - Because gas is getting too expensive for an SS. 5 3.47%
Volt - But only for my spouse to drive. 0 0%
SS - I love the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. 139 96.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
$35k...Camaro SS or Volt?

I'm curious how many people here would have a difficult time deciding between dropping $35k on a loaded SS or on a new Volt. Obviously different ends of the spectrum as far as cars go but both are equally important to the future of Chevrolet.

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I will get the Camaro SS without hesitation. If I make a lot of money, I'll get a Volt as a daily driver, after which you can expect my Camaro's horsepower numbers to suddenly become ridiculous because it will be a project car.

The Volt is a wonderful machine, but I need something fast.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Sorry but the volt is UGLY and gaz prices arent really an issue for me so ill pass on it
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
I'm getting both.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I'm getting both.
Ditto... but the Camaro FIRST.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
thats crazy the volt 35k I know its a great machine but come on is it really worth 10 grand over a prius which I think is over priced. Bring back the damn metro it got like 55 mpg and was 6 grand.
shroomjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
thats crazy the volt 35k I know its a great machine but come on is it really worth 10 grand over a prius which I think is over priced. Bring back the damn metro it got like 55 mpg and was 6 grand.

For people that live in a city and rarely drive more than 30 miles a day, the Volt won't cost them a dime in gas, unlike the Prius. Granted, they are just shifting where their pollution comes from - instead of their tailpipe, it's coming from where ever their electric provider generates power. For some people, spending 10 grand more than a Prius is justified because of the feeling they get from not running a gasoline engine all the time. Not for me, but for some people.

I do have to laugh at the poll results so far...they are exactly what I thought they would be, given the audience. I'm pretty certain they would be exactly the opposite if I posted this on a Volt forum.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member

Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
I said Camaro.

16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
MB2010CC
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS Camaro
Camaro without question. Gas isn't that much of an issue. Plus I am sure the A/C works great for the Global Warming I will be contributing to .
Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Are you serious? To even ask a question like that on a forum dedicated to the 5thgen camaro. What did you think the answer would be.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
For people that live in a city and rarely drive more than 30 miles a day, the Volt won't cost them a dime in gas, unlike the Prius. Granted, they are just shifting where their pollution comes from - instead of their tailpipe, it's coming from where ever their electric provider generates power. For some people, spending 10 grand more than a Prius is justified because of the feeling they get from not running a gasoline engine all the time. Not for me, but for some people.

I do have to laugh at the poll results so far...they are exactly what I thought they would be, given the audience. I'm pretty certain they would be exactly the opposite if I posted this on a Volt forum.
They might be shifting where there pollution comes from BUT if it is nuclear power for example then it is a good shift since it creates no GREEN HOUSE GASES see plus there will be much less dependencies on MIDDLE EAST OIL which is a VERY GOOD THING don't you think???
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Ditto... but the Camaro FIRST.
+1
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
speedbroker
Custom Instigator

Drives: Acura TSX
I either work from my home office or travel via airplane so the SS is a no brainer.

I do believe in a green environment but until the ecotech catches up to the fossil fuel tech in power etc. it will be a hard sell for a lot of us...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
fredl11

Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Question Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I'm getting both.

do you plug it in at work? If you go on an extended trip and need to stay at a motel, do you carry your own extension cord to plug it in over night and do you take watch shifts during the night to make sure no one makes off with your chargeing cable ( Bet that is a pretty penny to replace)?

Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
They might be shifting where there pollution comes from BUT if it is nuclear power for example then it is a good shift since it creates no GREEN HOUSE GASES see plus there will be much less dependencies on MIDDLE EAST OIL which is a VERY GOOD THING don't you think???
Didn't know Canada was in the middle east, Canada produces enough oil for itself and the US, it is the single largest provider of oil to the US>
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl11 View Post
do you plug it in at work? If you go on an extended trip and need to stay at a motel, do you carry your own extension cord to plug it in over night and do you take watch shifts during the night to make sure no one makes off with your chargeing cable ( Bet that is a pretty penny to replace)?

The small gas engine can charge the electric motor and gives you a 300 mile range.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
35 grand for the volt??....oh dear gm what are you doing!!!

hellooooooooo!! anybody who would be interested in a hybrid (TO SAVE MONEY) probably isn't looking to spend 35,000 on a car and it doesn't even look as futuristic as the concept...this looks like a honda....remember chevy you have to innovate not immitate and then make it more expensive???...

i'm afraid for gm because i can't see the volt succeeding at 35 grand not even the hollywood elitists will buy it because they hate anything American...

your going for the wrong crowd here gm...wrong crowd

Last edited by chevydude26; 09-09-2008 at 06:38 PM.
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
jojohn33

Drives: tt
Well seeing as electricity is going way up and the electric company's is pushing the limits every year on raising prices it seems silly to me. You pay for it someway. Unless you are rich smog guy with a windmill in the front yard or solar panels on the roof whats the point? I drive for two and a half hours a day so volt really doesn't do much for me. So the camaro I guess.
jojohn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Are you serious? To even ask a question like that on a forum dedicated to the 5thgen camaro. What did you think the answer would be.
Exactly. Vise-Versa, it's a "no-brainer" on the Volt forums. duh
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Camaro...then the Volt.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Sorry but the volt is UGLY and gaz prices arent really an issue for me so ill pass on it
I agree, but who ever went up to a Prius and said "this car looks pimp." Sorry all you accountants and activists out there who role a Prius blasting some NWA. Now, if you really wanted to save money, gas, and environment or whatnot, you can't really make a fashion statement. At least not yet. Volt looks better than the Prius any day. Word.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
volt looked better in concept form and would be worth the 35 grand...looking like a fake honda accord is not worth 35 grand...

remember the people buying this are trying to save money by not using gas...it will take years to actually save the money because of the extra 15 grand you spent over the competitor

newsflash gm the majority of americans don't care about global warming and if they do they don't care enough to actually change their habits...and that means going out of their way to buy some planetgreen car...

as for buying a nice cheap car that will save your wallet on gas....thats viable...paying near 40 grand just to say "I care about the environment" ain't going to cut it in the car market...not enough customers are going to do the latter

gm you have to stop making decisions and moves like your 3 steps behind the competition...

great job on the camaro malibu and the avg mpg of the whole fleet ...but this could be a total buzz killer for you guys...and the only good i can think of is putting this techonology into the rest of the fleet into the future at an affordable price
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
volt looked better in concept form and would be worth the 35 grand...looking like a fake honda accord is not worth 35 grand...

remember the people buying this are trying to save money by not using gas...it will take years to actually save the money because of the extra 15 grand you spent over the competitor

newsflash gm the majority of americans don't care about global warming and if they do they don't care enough to actually change their habits...and that means going out of their way to buy some planetgreen car...

as for buying a nice cheap car that will save your wallet on gas....thats viable...paying near 40 grand just to say "I care about the environment" ain't going to cut it in the car market...not enough customers are going to do the latter

gm you have to stop making decisions and moves like your 3 steps behind the competition...

great job on the camaro malibu and the avg mpg of the whole fleet ...but this could be a total buzz killer for you guys...and the only good i can think of is putting this techonology into the rest of the fleet into the future at an affordable price

There is much validity to this and I agree about the cost of the volt. Volt may back fire if gas goes back to $2.75 in the next few years. The same anal-ists that said we'd see $5 gas for next year are saying we may see $65-$85 a barel prices by the end of next year. Can you believe that? Now, if gas does what they said earlier, goes up to 5 and 6 a gallon then Volt is a good buy at 35k, but not now.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
To those "conversing" about the projected price........

1) Do you understand why it would cost just under $40,000?

2) Do you know how GM plans to produce this car? (number of units, etc?)

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
Shadowsong

Drives: 2005 Mustang
I voted SS.

Leave the volt to the tree hugging democrats who think CAFE is a good idea.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote