Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

View Poll Results: Which would you actually spend $35k on?
Volt - Because gas is getting too expensive for an SS. 5 3.47%
Volt - But only for my spouse to drive. 0 0%
SS - I love the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. 139 96.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,321
$35k...Camaro SS or Volt?

I'm curious how many people here would have a difficult time deciding between dropping $35k on a loaded SS or on a new Volt. Obviously different ends of the spectrum as far as cars go but both are equally important to the future of Chevrolet.



rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 13,796
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I will get the Camaro SS without hesitation. If I make a lot of money, I'll get a Volt as a daily driver, after which you can expect my Camaro's horsepower numbers to suddenly become ridiculous because it will be a project car.

The Volt is a wonderful machine, but I need something fast.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
ChrisB
 
Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: quebec, canada
Posts: 163
Sorry but the volt is UGLY and gaz prices arent really an issue for me so ill pass on it
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
I'm getting both.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
blackZbandit
 
blackZbandit's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I'm getting both.
Ditto... but the Camaro FIRST.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
shroomjohn

 
shroomjohn's Avatar
 
Drives: Golden Eagle
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: No
Posts: 1,137
thats crazy the volt 35k I know its a great machine but come on is it really worth 10 grand over a prius which I think is over priced. Bring back the damn metro it got like 55 mpg and was 6 grand.
shroomjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
thats crazy the volt 35k I know its a great machine but come on is it really worth 10 grand over a prius which I think is over priced. Bring back the damn metro it got like 55 mpg and was 6 grand.

For people that live in a city and rarely drive more than 30 miles a day, the Volt won't cost them a dime in gas, unlike the Prius. Granted, they are just shifting where their pollution comes from - instead of their tailpipe, it's coming from where ever their electric provider generates power. For some people, spending 10 grand more than a Prius is justified because of the feeling they get from not running a gasoline engine all the time. Not for me, but for some people.

I do have to laugh at the poll results so far...they are exactly what I thought they would be, given the audience. I'm pretty certain they would be exactly the opposite if I posted this on a Volt forum.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member
 
16yearoldcamarodriver's Avatar
 
Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 215
I said Camaro.
__________________



16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
MB2010CC
Back in Black
 
MB2010CC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 173
Camaro without question. Gas isn't that much of an issue. Plus I am sure the A/C works great for the Global Warming I will be contributing to .
__________________
Currently Drives: Purple 1996 Chevrolet Beretta. Nicknamed The Purple People Eater NOT ANYMORE!!!(Which is exactly why I am getting a 2010 Chevy Camaro )
MB2010CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
Are you serious? To even ask a question like that on a forum dedicated to the 5thgen camaro. What did you think the answer would be.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
gladiatoro
 
gladiatoro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kelowna B.C Canada
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
For people that live in a city and rarely drive more than 30 miles a day, the Volt won't cost them a dime in gas, unlike the Prius. Granted, they are just shifting where their pollution comes from - instead of their tailpipe, it's coming from where ever their electric provider generates power. For some people, spending 10 grand more than a Prius is justified because of the feeling they get from not running a gasoline engine all the time. Not for me, but for some people.

I do have to laugh at the poll results so far...they are exactly what I thought they would be, given the audience. I'm pretty certain they would be exactly the opposite if I posted this on a Volt forum.
They might be shifting where there pollution comes from BUT if it is nuclear power for example then it is a good shift since it creates no GREEN HOUSE GASES see plus there will be much less dependencies on MIDDLE EAST OIL which is a VERY GOOD THING don't you think???
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Ditto... but the Camaro FIRST.
+1
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
speedbroker
Custom Instigator
 
speedbroker's Avatar
 
Drives: Acura TSX
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 68
I either work from my home office or travel via airplane so the SS is a no brainer.

I do believe in a green environment but until the ecotech catches up to the fossil fuel tech in power etc. it will be a hard sell for a lot of us...
__________________
CAMARO..about as much fun as you can have driving a car with your clothes on..
speedbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
fredl11
 
Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 103
Question Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I'm getting both.


do you plug it in at work? If you go on an extended trip and need to stay at a motel, do you carry your own extension cord to plug it in over night and do you take watch shifts during the night to make sure no one makes off with your chargeing cable ( Bet that is a pretty penny to replace)?


__________________
Proud Owner of:
TT 2000 SS Camaro: 486 RWHP 493 RWTQ SOLD :(
1997 Silver C5 Destroyed Replaced with 2002 Z06
Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
They might be shifting where there pollution comes from BUT if it is nuclear power for example then it is a good shift since it creates no GREEN HOUSE GASES see plus there will be much less dependencies on MIDDLE EAST OIL which is a VERY GOOD THING don't you think???
Didn't know Canada was in the middle east, Canada produces enough oil for itself and the US, it is the single largest provider of oil to the US>
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl11 View Post
do you plug it in at work? If you go on an extended trip and need to stay at a motel, do you carry your own extension cord to plug it in over night and do you take watch shifts during the night to make sure no one makes off with your chargeing cable ( Bet that is a pretty penny to replace)?


The small gas engine can charge the electric motor and gives you a 300 mile range.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
chevydude26

 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,257
35 grand for the volt??....oh dear gm what are you doing!!!


hellooooooooo!! anybody who would be interested in a hybrid (TO SAVE MONEY) probably isn't looking to spend 35,000 on a car and it doesn't even look as futuristic as the concept...this looks like a honda....remember chevy you have to innovate not immitate and then make it more expensive???...

i'm afraid for gm because i can't see the volt succeeding at 35 grand not even the hollywood elitists will buy it because they hate anything American...

your going for the wrong crowd here gm...wrong crowd
__________________
I think i flip flopped on the ss bumper...it looks good man...it really does

Last edited by chevydude26; 09-09-2008 at 06:38 PM.
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
jojohn33
 
Drives: tt
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: wv
Posts: 48
Well seeing as electricity is going way up and the electric company's is pushing the limits every year on raising prices it seems silly to me. You pay for it someway. Unless you are rich smog guy with a windmill in the front yard or solar panels on the roof whats the point? I drive for two and a half hours a day so volt really doesn't do much for me. So the camaro I guess.
jojohn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
Eisenhower
I drank what?
 
Eisenhower's Avatar
 
Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check your back seat...
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Are you serious? To even ask a question like that on a forum dedicated to the 5thgen camaro. What did you think the answer would be.
Exactly. Vise-Versa, it's a "no-brainer" on the Volt forums. duh
__________________
SUP DOG!!! knowwhati'msayin?
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,704
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Camaro...then the Volt.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
Past: 2012 Camaro ZL1 (For sale through Tom Henry Chevrolet)

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)
 
Fandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 461
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Sorry but the volt is UGLY and gaz prices arent really an issue for me so ill pass on it
I agree, but who ever went up to a Prius and said "this car looks pimp." Sorry all you accountants and activists out there who role a Prius blasting some NWA. Now, if you really wanted to save money, gas, and environment or whatnot, you can't really make a fashion statement. At least not yet. Volt looks better than the Prius any day. Word.
__________________
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.”
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
chevydude26

 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,257
volt looked better in concept form and would be worth the 35 grand...looking like a fake honda accord is not worth 35 grand...

remember the people buying this are trying to save money by not using gas...it will take years to actually save the money because of the extra 15 grand you spent over the competitor

newsflash gm the majority of americans don't care about global warming and if they do they don't care enough to actually change their habits...and that means going out of their way to buy some planetgreen car...

as for buying a nice cheap car that will save your wallet on gas....thats viable...paying near 40 grand just to say "I care about the environment" ain't going to cut it in the car market...not enough customers are going to do the latter

gm you have to stop making decisions and moves like your 3 steps behind the competition...

great job on the camaro malibu and the avg mpg of the whole fleet ...but this could be a total buzz killer for you guys...and the only good i can think of is putting this techonology into the rest of the fleet into the future at an affordable price
__________________
I think i flip flopped on the ss bumper...it looks good man...it really does
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)
 
Fandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 461
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
volt looked better in concept form and would be worth the 35 grand...looking like a fake honda accord is not worth 35 grand...

remember the people buying this are trying to save money by not using gas...it will take years to actually save the money because of the extra 15 grand you spent over the competitor

newsflash gm the majority of americans don't care about global warming and if they do they don't care enough to actually change their habits...and that means going out of their way to buy some planetgreen car...

as for buying a nice cheap car that will save your wallet on gas....thats viable...paying near 40 grand just to say "I care about the environment" ain't going to cut it in the car market...not enough customers are going to do the latter

gm you have to stop making decisions and moves like your 3 steps behind the competition...

great job on the camaro malibu and the avg mpg of the whole fleet ...but this could be a total buzz killer for you guys...and the only good i can think of is putting this techonology into the rest of the fleet into the future at an affordable price



There is much validity to this and I agree about the cost of the volt. Volt may back fire if gas goes back to $2.75 in the next few years. The same anal-ists that said we'd see $5 gas for next year are saying we may see $65-$85 a barel prices by the end of next year. Can you believe that? Now, if gas does what they said earlier, goes up to 5 and 6 a gallon then Volt is a good buy at 35k, but not now.
__________________
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.”
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,704
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
To those "conversing" about the projected price........

1) Do you understand why it would cost just under $40,000?

2) Do you know how GM plans to produce this car? (number of units, etc?)

__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
Past: 2012 Camaro ZL1 (For sale through Tom Henry Chevrolet)

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
I voted SS.

Leave the volt to the tree hugging democrats who think CAFE is a good idea.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Laws ChevyNut Off-topic Discussions 102 06-06-2011 10:34 PM
Camaro V6 vrs Cobalt SS??? 65bus 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 76 05-09-2010 11:41 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
From: Fbodfather - My Own Worst Enemy starring the 2010 SS Camaro and Traverse TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 42 09-16-2008 11:06 AM
AW: New Camaro a one trick pony? Scotsman 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 16 09-04-2008 09:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.