Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,631
Paddle Shifters & the L99- Help

Ok so i was wondering if some one could elaberate and or answer a few what maybe stupid questions I had in reguards to the paddle shifting for the 2010 L99.

1) I have heard there will be a "mode" you have to be in such as "m" on the shifter. Can you go in and out of this while driving or only while stopped?

EXAMPLE: for instance... if you where driving... say 30mph and you wanted to activate this "mode" how would you go about shifting up to third while in motion? My thought is if you must shift up to third through the paddles... wouldnt the car enage into first and second (while your driving) as you make your shifts?

2) Will there be a paddle to downshift or will the car auto down shift for you (as I heard some cars do)?

Also i have a general "?" about the L99 system and its AFM system
I heard that this entitles the car using less cylinders when not needed? and if true wouldnt this promote uneven engine wear?
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!
 
skipj3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 877
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=micah

this should take care of the paddle questions
__________________
Oscar Wilde - “When I was young, I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know it is."

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,778
thanks for the link Skipj3.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!
 
skipj3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
thanks for the link Skipj3.
glad to help
__________________
Oscar Wilde - “When I was young, I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know it is."

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,631
thanks 4 the link! still curious if you can just shift into manual mode while driving tho.. sounds like it? maybe?
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yes. And to get out of manual mode, you shift back to 'D'.
It sort of works along the same lines as shifting into 3,2, or 1. ('I', and 'L' on some) on a conventional Auto. Except there's no gear changes when you click the shifter down on this one. It just turns on alternate programming: The 'sport' mode.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yes. And to get out of manual mode, you shift back to 'D'.
It sort of works along the same lines as shifting into 3,2, or 1. ('I', and 'L' on some) on a conventional Auto. Except there's no gear changes when you click the shifter down on this one. It just turns on alternate programming: The 'sport' mode.
o ok! thanks! i was gona get the 6 speed manual but i thnk i gonna go 4 the auto the paddle shifters sound nice.. fast perfect shifts.. cant beat the comp lol
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
tsg1391
 
Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 247
the afm shuts down 4 cylinders, then after 9 min(i think) it fires them back up then alternates which cylinders are shut down
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
AirGoya

 
AirGoya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago/Carbondale
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
the afm shuts down 4 cylinders, then after 9 min(i think) it fires them back up then alternates which cylinders are shut down

Really? Wow thats really interesting. My dads impala ss has this feature and i always wondered if its the same cylinders that deactivate. I thought to myself wouldnt those cylinders wear more than the others. This makes much more sense.
__________________
-Tim

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
camaro1

 
camaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
the afm shuts down 4 cylinders, then after 9 min(i think) it fires them back up then alternates which cylinders are shut down


wrong, it is always the same cylinders that are shut down when afm/dod kicks in:

straight from the gm service manual:

To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the cylinder deactivation system ON to deactivate engine cylinders 1, 7, 6, and 4, switching to a V4 mode. The engine will operate on 8 cylinders or V8 mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle applications
__________________
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,274
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
wrong, it is always the same cylinders that are shut down when afm/dod kicks in:

straight from the gm service manual:

To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the cylinder deactivation system ON to deactivate engine cylinders 1, 7, 6, and 4, switching to a V4 mode. The engine will operate on 8 cylinders or V8 mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle applications
Is this the case with all AFM engines? Does GM do anything to add protection to those cylinders?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Is this the case with all AFM engines? Does GM do anything to add protection to those cylinders?
What protection would be needed?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,274
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What protection would be needed?
I figured there would be some sort of warranty or physical protection of the cylinders. I guess they aren't really likely to shoot out of the hood because they'll be hitting at substantially less RPM than usual. I was just wondering if GM designed AFM in such a way that it would need no maintenance of shop support.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I was just wondering if GM designed AFM in such a way that it would need no maintenance of shop support.
They did...that's how it works...I guess I'm not following you...

When AFM is on -- the valvetrain, spark, and fuel for the dedicated cylinders are shut down. But the pistons themselves still move up and down like normal. There's no increased load, or extra wear that would require an extra warranty, or some sort of protection.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
bobscogin
 
Drives: Future 2012 owner, 1965 Impala
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There's no increased load, or extra wear that would require an extra warranty, or some sort of protection.
With no combustion occurring, or valve opening/closings on the deactivated cylinders, I'd think there would be *less* wear and load than on the firing cylinders.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
swifttal
Man, this guy's a d!*k
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28, '94 BMW 540i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
With no combustion occurring, or valve opening/closings on the deactivated cylinders, I'd think there would be *less* wear and load than on the firing cylinders.

Bob
The valves still open and close - the cam that pushes the push rods which contacts the lifters to open/close valves doesn't magically swap out or anything - the fuel to those cylinders just simply cuts off
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
bobscogin
 
Drives: Future 2012 owner, 1965 Impala
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
The valves still open and close - the cam that pushes the push rods which contacts the lifters to open/close valves doesn't magically swap out or anything - the fuel to those cylinders just simply cuts off
From what I've read, the valves stay closed on the deactivated cylinders. This is accomplished via the solenoid bank controlling oil flow to those lifters. If the valves still open/close on deactivated cylinders, you'd have tremendous pumping losses as the air moved in and out. By keeping them closed, the power loss from cylinders compressing the air is offset by the decompressing air forcing the piston down on the cylinders that are on the downstroke. The net loss is practically zero because the decompressing air contributes energy that was lost in compression, whereas if the deactivated cylinders were moving air in and out --- well, that would eat up a lot of power.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
From what I've read, the valves stay closed on the deactivated cylinders. This is accomplished via the solenoid bank controlling oil flow to those lifters. If the valves still open/close on deactivated cylinders, you'd have tremendous pumping losses as the air moved in and out. By keeping them closed, the power loss from cylinders compressing the air is offset by the decompressing air forcing the piston down on the cylinders that are on the downstroke. The net loss is practically zero because the decompressing air contributes energy that was lost in compression, whereas if the deactivated cylinders were moving air in and out --- well, that would eat up a lot of power.

Bob

Excellent explanation!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
bobscogin
 
Drives: Future 2012 owner, 1965 Impala
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Excellent explanation!
Found this article on GM's site that explains it. Note the statement that the cam lobes on the deactivating cylinders have a different profile. That's interesting.

"A sophisticated engine controller determines when to deactivate cylinders, allowing the engine to maintain vehicle speed in lighter-load conditions such as highway cruising. The process is seamless and virtually imperceptible. When the cylinders are deactivated the V-8 engine effectively operates as a V-4, with alternate cylinders on each cylinder bank disabled. The engine returns to V-8 mode the instant the controller determines the vehicle speed or load requires additional power. When the V-6 engine is in AFM mode the left bank of cylinders are shut down. The key to AFM's efficiency and smooth operation is a set of special two-stage hydraulic valve lifters, which allows the lifters of deactivated cylinders to operate without actuating the valves.

The valve lifters have inner and outer bodies, which normally operate as a single unit. When the engine controller determines cylinder deactivation conditions are optimal, the outer body moves independently of the inner body on the disabled cylinders' lifters. The outer body moves in conjunction with camshaft actuation, but the inner body does not move, holding the pushrod in place. This prevents the pushrod from actuating the valve, thereby halting the combustion process. Solenoids in the engine lifter valley operate to deliver high-pressure oil to the switching lifters, activating a release pin to separate the inner and outer bodies. Oil circulation and pressure do not vary, regardless of the engine's operational mode. Lifter design and pushrod length are the same for every cylinder, but camshaft lobe profiles differ for cylinders designated to be deactivated.

The engine's electronic throttle control (ETC) also is used to increase manifold pressure in V-4 mode so that the engine can maintain a V-8 torque load."
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: Kelley Blue Book Drives 2010 Camaro V6 Micah Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 78 09-10-2008 12:33 AM
L99 discussion The_Blur Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 85 07-25-2008 03:07 PM
Paddle Shifters or Clutch?? Congoman775 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 58 06-25-2008 11:38 AM
Dragoneye’s Birth Day KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 34 04-15-2008 12:07 AM
Couple Of Random Questions * Paddle shifters Navy Blue General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 32 03-07-2008 01:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.