Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Aftermarket Stereo Compatability

We all know the sterio center unit in the Camaro isnt all that normal in its design... but how will this affect its compatibility concerning after market sterio units/specifically head units?

I know the G8 must retain their center screen no mater what, due to the amount of electronics that are routed through and displayed there, so removing it is not an option... but any ideas on how this will work on the Maro?
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I seem to remember reading/hearing that head-unit replacement is dying off. That automakers are going the way of the "Silver box". Which is pretty much the car's brain. The stereo, gps, power windows, etc all get routed through one computer, and the radio controls are just buttons attached to it. Could be wrong, though.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
sinnerSS

Drives: 2004 mazda rx8
I used to be in the mobile electronics field awhile back. I can tell you that dragoneye is correct. The headunit replacements have been getting more and more difficult to replace. But there are ways of doing the replacements. Just have to wait about six months or so until the aftermarket guys can get their hands on the camaro. Maybe youll see somthing after sema. Who knows.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
haulass350

Drives: 97 silverado
the only reason i ever changed to aftermarket was cuz i wanted to play mp3s or have sat radio, or the original for whatever reason just stopped working. now the dealer ones do the first two for me, why would i change it :P
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
After the car is out a while there should be some install kits. None of the critical vehicle systems will be in the head. Everyone has to wait for GM to print service manuals really to find out what can and can't be done. But should be able to rip out the factory system and do aftermarket rig.

I do agree the quality of systems is going up and the Camaro has good base system and nice optional system and most people won't ever need to or want to replace it.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
The_Blur
Rock Chalk

Drives: Demon Super Sport
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There's always the issue of quality. That's a big motivator for music enthusiasts going aftermarket. JL's Cleansweep system is designed as an add-on for OEM systems.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
After the car is out a while there should be some install kits. None of the critical vehicle systems will be in the head. Everyone has to wait for GM to print service manuals really to find out what can and can't be done. But should be able to rip out the factory system and do aftermarket rig.

The problem with that is the Heater/AC controls are integrated with the head unit. And the shape of the head unit is unlike anything in the aftermarket. So, to replace the Camaro's head unit, some aftermarket company is going to have to design a complicated mounting system that accommodates a double dinn head unit as well as a place to reinstall the HVAC controls. That will be a tall order and possibly not easy to do in an aesthetically pleasing way.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Vash

I saw that. It's gonna be ugly.

But with Moores law etc there is gonna be lot of new toys in the next few years. Sync is gonna look like an antique in 10-20-30 years.

I'll put it next to the Delco from my vette. Heck out at the family ranch we have pile of car radios going back to I think a 52 Ford truck.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Man dont do it. You can have aftermarket speakers/subs/amps and still keep the head unit. The head unit is a big part of what gives it its unique feel. Plus it would be a bitch to change any way.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Vash

Well it will be disappointing if that head can't be taken out above the AC controller. This would be bad news for the audio aftermarket and this car street rep among the custom audio fans.

Same as people that want performance mods on the powertrain. I am used to always modding my audio.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Congoman775

Quote:
Well it will be disappointing if that head can't be taken out above the AC controller. This would be bad news for the audio aftermarket and this car street rep among the custom audio fans.

Same as people that want performance mods on the powertrain. I am used to always modding my audio.

The issues that they are having changing out the head unit in the G8 arent making anyone any friends either.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:

Yeah man i hear you I'm the same way. I started a thread about a month ago on this very issue because i want to add a couple of subs but keep the original head unit and possibly the original speakers because there soppesed to be really good crisp and clear. I found out that all you need is a crossover conversion or something like that. Any way the little part you need is around $20 from crutchfeild and with it you can add your own amplifiers through the head unit therefore you can add your subs. And you could always just change the Boston speakers by just buying new ones and installing them.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There's always the issue of quality. That's a big motivator for music enthusiasts going aftermarket. JL's Cleansweep system is designed as an add-on for OEM systems.
Agreed and have heard the clean sweep in action on a new Z06 with all aftermarket JL Audio equipment and it sounded phenominal. Just make sure that you have it professionally installed and tuned too your liking or else it will sound like ass.
I plan on putting the JL Audio Clean Sweep in my 5th Gen (SS, of course) along with all my old school PG equipment as the HU in the 5th Gen looks great and wanna keep the intended look of the interior.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
Yeah man i hear you I'm the same way. I started a thread about a month ago on this very issue because i want to add a couple of subs but keep the original head unit and possibly the original speakers because there soppesed to be really good crisp and clear. I found out that all you need is a crossover conversion or something like that. Any way the little part you need is around $20 from crutchfeild and with it you can add your own amplifiers through the head unit therefore you can add your subs. And you could always just change the Boston speakers by just buying new ones and installing them.

yea? i LIKE the head unit in the car, so i guess that would be the better option.

i think the only thing i actualy WANT to change out, in the "cockpit" is the shift knob. not sure who ok'd that thing haha.